I'm a drafter by profession.

AutoCAD
    Solidworks
    Catia
    a little bit of Pro E

I definitely prefer SolidWorks.
    | Jimmy | 1999 M3 | 1986 325 ES |

Comment

learned it in a few drafting courses i took, and absolutly hated it. waste of time to me.
      sigpic

Comment

you prefer MS paint? or scribbles on the back of a soiled napkin? engineers and employers love that. ;)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Undergrad ME at MTU, everything we do is in Unigraphics NX5. All of the drafting I did in HS was AutoCad 13 or something.

Comment

College taught me Pro/E. Internship taught me even more Pro/E and a little bit of AutoCAD. Senior design taught me a bit of Solidworks. I used to be able to use Ansys, but it's been over two years since I've done anything with it. I'd like to start using it again though.

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
              learned it in a few drafting courses i took, and absolutly hated it. waste of time to me.
              Cool story, bro.

1988 Bronzitbeige Metallic 325e 2-door S50 turbo (OO=( )=OO)
              2008 VW Rabbit
              1991 Audi 200 20vtq Wagon

Comment

I've used AutoCAD and Solid Works extensively. I definitely prefer solid works.

Comment

I use AutoCAD 2008 on a daily basis for 2-D drawings. (AutoCAD 2010 ftl)

I also use SAFE, ETABS, and ANSYS for both 2-D and 3-D analysis.

Comment

Not to thread jack but does anybody use or have access to revit? I have a file I got from a client, and all I have is navisworks, but I'm trying to break out individual areas of construction, it's an industrial construction project and is a fairly large file
                    1990 S50 goodness.

Comment

I hear "From napkin sketch to obsolecance" a lot at work.
                      Originally posted by nando View Post
                      you prefer MS paint? or scribbles on the back of a soiled napkin? engineers and employers love that. ;)
                      Last edited by pfahls1; 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM.
                      1986 BMW 325es
                      2006 BMW 325i
                      2003 GMC Envoy

Comment

i just started autocad. went back to school to get a bachelors in mechanical engineering so i can finally start making some cash.

you guys got any pointers? i'm doing basic stuff with 2011

Comment

So I am still considering a career, as I am a sophomore in High School.
                          I know I want to go into an engineering field, and I love using sketchup in my spare time. Do most mechanical engineers with their BS use CAD at work or? I want a degree where I would get to use CAD

Comment

I have an AA and I use CAD every day. I went for mechanical drafting and design. I was a drafter for about 6 months, and then I moved up to design. I've been a designer for about 3 years now.

I need to go back to get my BA so I can make more cashes.

1988 Bronzitbeige Metallic 325e 2-door S50 turbo (OO=( )=OO)
                            2008 VW Rabbit
                            1991 Audi 200 20vtq Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                              So I am still considering a career, as I am a sophomore in High School.
                              I know I want to go into an engineering field, and I love using sketchup in my spare time. Do most mechanical engineers with their BS use CAD at work or? I want a degree where I would get to use CAD
                              If you're a design engineer you will use some 3D CAD software for sure. The most popular ones are ProE, Solid Works and CATIA. I have a BSME and have used AutoCAD and Solid Works extensively.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                                Catia V5 all day, errryday
                                f'sho. Catia is what I used in college. Just like Solidworks but more advanced.

I hate Autocad, it's a dinosaur compared to all the others.

Comment

Working...
                                X