Minty-fresh Barn Find and Rebuild: 1986 325e Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Victor_PR View Post
    Nice car! Schwarz body color with tan interior are one of my favorite combinations. ;)
    BTW: I have the same cup holder. I did a brief write-up installing it near the e-brake. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=322748
    Regards,

Excellent use of resources and modification. I would definitely do exactly that however i am waiting to pull an E36 armrest and center console and retrofit it. i bookmarked your writeup for IF i get desperate. Until then it fits in the door just fine:D.

Thanks for the love!
    www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:
    1986 325e- Custom Nebula Purple Dip, 5MT, Lukebox. A Perfect DD. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by e30Brah View Post
      Hope you keep updating - great little project.

Shame about the paint!

I'm in it until it's near-perfect.

BIG, BIG shame about the paint. The rear quarter panel also got sideswiped so ill have to figure out what to do with that. See the cringe-inducing pictures on the thread here.
      www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Also, I purchased a full-replacement sound system. Rockford Fosgate Speakers, Kenwood Exceleon deck, and Infinity Sub. See thread here for more info.
        www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Update! The Rabbit hole deepens....

A few major problems occurred. First, the Fuel pump went out (so we thought)...

The old pump sure was ugly and needed to be replaced no matter what...it had been whining loudly for the few days the car was running prior to breaking down:

After I installed a new pump, There was still no start. We ran some diagnostics and found that there was still no fuel delivery . We did some investigating found 1/2" of rust sediment in the bottom of the gas tank The PO claimed that it had been cleaned out, but cleaning out a tank like this would be IMPOSSIBLE. The inside was totally corroded. We had to order a new gas tank, fuel hoses, and inline fuel pump, and another fuel filter as the sediment had clogged & ruined the new one we just put in.

Installation shot showing new pump, fuel hoses, and gas tank:

Problem #2: Failed inspection for an exhaust leak on the cat converter & pipes. Ordered a new DEC one from BavAuto and installed it at our local DIY shop.

The old pipes & cat were completely rotten:

After spending around $450 on the exhaust ordeal alone, I realized i never even needed to pass an inspection for the historical plates i anticipate getting. :curse: Oh well, at least i have a proper exhaust now. (Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?)

While on the lift, we installed brand new:

DEC direct-fit Downpipe/Catalytic Converter/Midpipe assembly from BavAuto
          Bavauto Exhaust Gaskets & hardware
          Bosch O2 sensor
          Fuel Filter
          14.4 gallon Gas Tank
          Fuel Lines
          Inline Fuel Pump
          Replaced Transmission Fluid (old stuff came out black)
          Replaced Differential Fluid
          Rear Sway Bar Links

After all of this, clean & pure gas SHOOTS into the engine. It is back up and running! :up:

Rear sway bar links were a PITA to get on. I don't recommend changing these unless one breaks or you otherwise have steel fists, Goliath arm muscles, and a lot of free time. We lubed and lubed and lubed and lightly warmed the rubber fittings with a heat gun but they were too snug to get on. Finally the shop mechanic stepped in and forced them into place, albeit with lots of difficulty and cursing before achieving success. :D
          www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Got to make her look pretty after she came home in running condition. As you can see in the photos, the front and rear windshield lockstrips were in very weathered condition. I ordered the replacement kit from BavAuto for ~$85, and a Lisle lockstrip tool from Amazon ~$11.

I used watered down dish soap to lubricate the front, but I went out and bought some Silicone Lubricant before starting on the rear to make the task easier. Both are about equally effective but the dishsoap can be a bit messier and harsher on the car's finish. The soapy water also needed to be applied more often for the same effect. I ended up going back and forth between the two methods while installing the rear strip.

A lockstrip tool does not make this task easy. Youtube videos make it look like it will be a walk in the park, but if you are a first-timer it most certainly will not be. Having the right tool will save you maybe 50% of time and a good deal of frustration in the windshield corners, but you will still numb your fingers, cramp your hands, and will still need a screwdriver to work in the areas that did not properly install during the first pass.

After the job was done, it was well worth it.

Front BEFORE:

Front AFTER:

Rear BEFORE:

Rear AFTER:

Also, the driver's door lock was kaput, so i bought a rebuild kit and proceeded reconstruct with caution. The result, IT WORKS NOW!
            www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Picture update!

www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Really nice car! Hope you don't find any more surprises like the gas tank :/
                Are you keeping the US bumpers?

Comment

great work. looking like it should be.
                  sigpic
                  323i MTEC1
                  Z3 coupe
                  E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by crappycoco View Post
                    Really nice car! Hope you don't find any more surprises like the gas tank :/
                    Are you keeping the US bumpers?

Well we found out that two wheel bearings started giving out last week, and the inside drivers door handle broke off. Just got replacement parts in today. other than that, she's running really awesome.

probably keeping the US bumpers, but would like to find a "s" lower valence for the front.
                    www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

love this build,looks like you got a great car. Also nice to see another missouri e30

Comment

Originally posted by ReSoP View Post
                        love this build,looks like you got a great car. Also nice to see another missouri e30
                        Thanks mate! Whereabouts are you? I'd love to plan a small, but enthusiastic MO E30 gathering!

Off to change oil, oil filter, and put in new Bosch Spark Plugs Today!

Go UK tonight! BBN.
                        Last edited by blacktyevent; 04-04-2015, 11:51 AM.
                        www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Pictures still to come:

Fun:
                          New Soundsystem W/ Lukebox
                          Switched Radio Antenna
                          New HVAC Panel
                          Leatherique Re-Dye & repair

Maintenance:
                          New Driver's Interior Door handle
                          New Rear Wheel bearings (both)
                          Passenger side front wheel bearing
                          New Rear Brake Rotors
                          Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
                          New Idle control Valve
                          New Idle control Unit
                          www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Looks like you're off to a good start!
                            I'm doing many similar maintenance things to the ETA e28 I just picked up.
                            Tagging along.
                            '93 300TE 24V Krautbomber
                            '84 528e 5 speed Saphirblau Metallic [R.I.P.]

I love all BMWs with round headlights!

Comment

Welp, the new front wheel bearing broke into pieces when we attempted to install it. The vendor is sending a new one for free. Unfortunately this means no driving it whatsoever until parts come in. Until then it rests on jack stands...

New & Busted:

Install Shot:
                              www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

A present arrived today:

Last edited by blacktyevent; 04-10-2015, 06:47 PM.
                                www.tycacek.com

Currently Driving:

Comment

Working...
                                X