New fan clutch does not pass rolled newspaper test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fan clutch does not pass rolled newspaper test

So I replaced my fan clutch because it didn't pass the rolled newspaper test, and I was noticing movement to the right on my temp gauge.

The new Sachs fan clutch also does not pass the test when at operating temperature. However, when I start the car after sitting, even for a few minutes, the fan seems directly connected (turns FAST) but calms down after about 10 seconds. After that, it does not pass the newspaper test.

Could it be that this clutch was not stored correctly? I see on the box that it is supposed to be stored flat but I've heard to always keep my fan upright when removing it.

What have I got here? Defective new part? Incorrect install? Am I not doing the test correctly?

Thanks!

How hot are you letting it get and how long are you waiting for it to kick in? It seem you really need to heat soak it get it to kick in. there is a time factor as the unit needs to heat up itself and it will lag being the temp on the temp sender.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      How hot are you letting it get and how long are you waiting for it to kick in? It seem you really need to heat soak it get it to kick in. there is a time factor as the unit needs to heat up itself and it will lag being the temp on the temp sender.
      I drove it for 10 minutes in 85 deg ambient. Stopped for 30 min. And drove it for another 10 minutes. I'd say it was completely warm at that point. Is that not enough?

And what about the fact that when I first start it, the fan runs at engine speed for a short minute. Very loud and fast. Then all it takes is a few revs of the engine and the clutch loosens up. Is that normal?

What's the worst case scenario if the clutch was stored incorrectly? How would it act?

Thanks.

Comment

where did you get the parts?
        [1991, E-30 325i, 5-Speed, M20, Brillantrot] [1998, B5 Passat 1.8t] [2007, R6 Yamaha] [2011, Tundra 5.7]

Comment

Originally posted by TURBOX View Post
          where did you get the parts?
          Autohaus AZ. Got the expensive one.

Find Sachs Fan Clutch 2100012142 at discount prices in our extensive BMW auto parts catalog. AutohausAZ offers a large selection of Sachs parts online. 1 per car. Fits BMW 325i, 528i, 535i, Z3, 525i, M5, 325is, 318i, 325e, 528e & more. 11521271416 11521287829 11521289120 11521310520 11521466000 11521706619 11521719042 11521719043 11521719266 11521723026 11521723027 11521723917 11521723918 11521723919 11521723920 11521723921 11521729919 11529055969 2100012131 3141152101 W0133-1661982

Comment

The fan clutch really only operates at idle conditions or whenever its like stupid hot.

You should let the car idle for a few minutes after you've come back from a trip. Then check if the clutch is doing what its supposed to!
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

I've had BNIB fan clutches that were bad from AutohausAZ. Luck of the draw. I emailed them & recieved a new one that worked after

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

All clutches Ive handle had a bit of grab to them when cold not like when they get hot and activate though. Do you have a infrared gun to check temps ? Did ones are not uncommon. Do the dud ones not engage at all? Or engage at too high a temp?
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys. I do have a temp gun. What temp should I be looking for?

I spoke to AutohausAZ. They don't like the rolled newspaper test. He said with the car at operating temp, shut it down and turn the fan by hand. It should not go more than 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Mine goes 1/2 a turn.

Still looking for good confirmation that my new fan clutch is working correctly. It's interesting to me that it locks up (turns super fast) upon start up, then loosens up.

Comment

Their spin test 'at temp' is not necessarily a good test.

'at temp' the fan is not needed, above temp is when it is needed. Depending if the clutch is engaged you can easily spin the fan freely backwards to engine rotation and the motor is idling warmed up.

From your post it sounds like it is working, you can also hear it moving air when it is engaged. Some temp swing is normal, I wouldn't stress if it is not overheating idling. I would just make sure it is bled fully they are very sensitive to that.
                    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldMember View Post
                      Thanks for the responses, guys. I do have a temp gun. What temp should I be looking for?

I spoke to AutohausAZ. They don't like the rolled newspaper test. He said with the car at operating temp, shut it down and turn the fan by hand. It should not go more than 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. Mine goes 1/2 a turn.

Still looking for good confirmation that my new fan clutch is working correctly. It's interesting to me that it locks up (turns super fast) upon start up, then loosens up.
                      turn engine off and point at the fan hub to see what temp the alloy housing is. if its at 95C it should be working. also check the themostat housing and rad hoses

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                        turn engine off and point at the fan hub to see what temp the alloy housing is. if its at 95C it should be working. also check the themostat housing and rad hoses
                        I'll check it out. 95C is pretty hot, IMHO.

Comment

Yes, I don't mean that is when it Kicks in but it well and truly should have if its close to that

Comment

Rough point is basically when the thermostat is open. So if you grab the top and bottom radiator hoses and they are both hot to the touch, the clutch fan should have engaged and air will be blasting out over the motor.
                            Just a little project im working on
                            - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
                              Rough point is basically when the thermostat is open. So if you grab the top and bottom radiator hoses and they are both hot to the touch, the clutch fan should have engaged and air will be blasting out over the motor.
                              I don't feel like this is the case.

Lots of different answers to this question here! All of them make sense but I need something a bit more definitive if I'm going to contact Autohaus AZ about a replacement. Right?

Comment

Working...
                              X