Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain any differences between the IC & IS suspension components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please explain any differences between the IC & IS suspension components?

Hi folks,

I have a 1991 318ic and just need a little verification or help on some parts... I've tried searching and there are not any real definitive threads on multiple BMW sites/forums about the actual (or factual) differences between the E30 318ic and 318is suspension components...

From what I have deduced so far is that the following components are exactly the same (including part #'s) and interchangeability between the IC & IS:

front brake rotors
    front brake calipers (and pads)
    front brake hoses
    front wheel hub assemblies
    front spindle nuts
    front tie rod assemblies (both inner/outer)
    front strut mounts
    front bump stops
    front control arms
    front control arm ball joints
    front sway bar end links
    front "lollipops"
    rear control arms
    rear hubs
    rear axle nut
    rear wheel bearings
    rear brake rotors
    rear brake calipers (and pads)
    rear brake hoses
    rear sway bar end links
    rear shock mounts
    steering rack

What I cannot seem to get a real confirmation on, as far as compatibility, are the following parts:

front springs
    rear springs
    front strut inserts
    rear shocks

What are the major differences of those parts (springs/struts/shocks) between the IC & IS??

Does anyone know the actual factory spring rates & heights for an IC vs IS?

Does anyone know if the standard 318is struts & shocks will work for a 318ic?

What is the diameter of the front strut housing on a 91 318, is it 51mm for a 91 318ic and is this the same for a 318is?

Can a set of E30 M3 springs be used on a 318ic?

I'm trying to price out front struts & rear shocks for my 91 318ic and some sites don't list any "ic specific" parts, while others do... the same holds true for aftermarket spring sets....

Please Help!

(oh yea, the same holds true if one is searching for compatibility between the same parts mentioned above for the E30 325ic vs the 325is)

IC springs are stiffer in the rear to support the extra weigh on the back wheels with the top down. dont know about the other ones.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

if you look on the bentley, there are a ton of different springs for the same car. They also use springs across the dfiferent model cars for lowering per bmw spec.

Comment

other than being slightly stiffer, there's no real reason why springs/shocks from any E30 won't work with your car. They will all fit, they just might not be ideal.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So, essentially what some of you are saying is, I *can* use front struts and rear shocks for a 318is on my 318ic?

I was looking at a set of Bilstein Tourings for the front & rear, however, if I look by using my specific model, the same shocks/struts are not listed - but if I use the same year vehicle and use a 318is instead of 318ic designation for model, the Bilstein Tourings are listed.... makes absolutely no sense, especially IF the shocks & struts will install and fit either vehicle...

Any other comments/opinions?

Thx!

Comment

yes they will fit

the reason they aren't listed for your car is because it weighs more and the distribution of that weight is different. So they sometimes adjust that balance to suit your car.. however I'm not even sure there is a real difference between any of the E30 struts/shocks, except for maybe the front of an ix and the M3. You would have to cross reference part #s to find that out.

if there are just bilstein tourings with stock springs, they will be fine.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X