H&R Sport Springs E30 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H&R Sport Springs E30 318is

I have recently installed the H&R sport springs onto my 318is and noticed that the car doesn't sit as low as I thought it would. Do these springs take a while to settle to the correct ride height?

The ride is nice but was hoping for a little lower stance.

Will get some pics up when I get a chance.
    '91 318is Alpine II- || HR Sport || Bilstein Sport || Poly RTAB || Treehouse FCAB || Poly Motor Mount || Poly Tranny Mount || Poly Diff mount || IE Sway Bar || BA HP Coils/Wires || 19# Injectors || SSR Comps w/10mm spacers || Hawk Pads || Fog Delete || Magnaflow Exhaust || Z4 3.0 SSK ||

here's my 318is on H&R Sport.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Mine sits a lot lower on 325 H&R Sports.

Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

The '90-'91 318i/iS H&R Sports are sort of misleading, atleast according to the H&R website. The application guide (link below) mentions the p/n for Sports as 50404. The springs you receive are 50404-55, which happen to be the OE Sport springs for 325 cars.

Fitted on a 318is, the 50404-55 are not much lower or stiffer than stock springs. They claim to lower a 325 car 1.3" all around and a 318is 1.25", which isn't really true. The front springs lower a 318is about 1 inch while the rear is even less, atleast this was the case with mine (while retaining the stock spring pads).

If I were ordering sport springs for a late model 318 I'd steer clear of the 50404-55 and get the Sport springs for an early 318, p/n 29664.

H&R app guide:
        Last edited by Stu; 09-06-2009, 05:47 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Asbradley21...What size wheels/tires are you running in that photo?
          '91 318is Alpine II- || HR Sport || Bilstein Sport || Poly RTAB || Treehouse FCAB || Poly Motor Mount || Poly Tranny Mount || Poly Diff mount || IE Sway Bar || BA HP Coils/Wires || 19# Injectors || SSR Comps w/10mm spacers || Hawk Pads || Fog Delete || Magnaflow Exhaust || Z4 3.0 SSK ||

Comment

Soo all that work and your not happy?

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
            1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

No the ride quality is great but just wished it sat a little lower. I am not going to change a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by longms View Post
                asbradley21...what size wheels/tires are you running in that photo?
                205/50/16

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Ive had 2 different sets of H&R Sports on my 318is.
                  Here it is with 325i(read 6 cylinder Part Number 50404.55) springs

And e30 M3 H&R Sports(Part Number 50406)

Its maybe a Half inch lower with the M3 Sport springs
                  Heres my other 318is with the same 325i Sports(Part Number 50404.55) but with one coil cut off.

Stock spring pads on all my cars. Just cutting one coil off looks much better.
                  But honestly just buy GC Coils and be done with springs.

Hunter
                  We're out there in here.

Comment

Here's my 318iS with the H+R cup kit which I was told is just the sport springs paired with matching shocks. Sitting on some 17's with 225-45 tires.

Comment

Asbradley - any more pics of yours?
                      M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

Originally posted by CCR Engineering View Post
                        Here's my 318iS with the H+R cup kit which I was told is just the sport springs paired with matching shocks. Sitting on some 17's with 225-45 tires.

It's not. Compared to H&R Sport springs, the cup kit's lower and IIRC softer (but don't quote me on the spring rates).

Comment

Originally posted by CCR Engineering View Post
                          which I was told is just the sport springs paired with matching shocks.
                          definitely not. i don't know about the shocks, but the cup kit springs lower the car significantly more.
                          http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

cut a coil and take the spring pad out

Comment

My springs did settle quite a bit over the first month or so, now that I look back at the early pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X