Building a 2.9l M50 stroker, HP, torque, cost, SMOG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a 2.9l M50 stroker, HP, torque, cost, SMOG

Alright, so after a bunch of research, I think iv come to the conclusion that im going to be purchasing an e30 and performing a 24v swap. (m50, s50, s52).

This will be late next year, early 2011. I leave for basic training for the Air force reserve in january 2010, and will remain in texas until september 22nd. then when i come back to cali, i work for 1 year on full time orders to get all my on the job training done. all while still living with my rents, then ill continue college blah blah blah.

ANYWAYS.

As far as the s50 swap goes. I was looking at 3-5k depending on luck, new and used parts, and SMOG requirements.

s52's were a bit more, but of course more rewarding in POWAA

NOW. why not make a 2.9l stroker m50? i can produce s50 power, with less money, have some fun, and take my time. plus im familiar with the m50....flawless plan? maybe..

Now...Id obviously get the block stroked and honed and all that. Buy new pistons/rods other internal bits I havent sourced yet...then get a good tune.
    I have done research and found that

1. 2.9l strokers semi built can get the s50 power for less money.

2. Well built m50 strokers can easily achieve more.

3. Cost would be lower than an s engine.

Now my questions

1. Reliability, less than the s50? this would be practically a new motor. I can get an m50 w. vanos at the local yard for $150 out the door, with a refundable 50 dollar core. Doest matter if it runs im rebuilding it anyways.

2. Difficulty. obviously there are a lot of tools required to do the built im sure...I think most can be bought from harbor frieght or rented...am I right with this?

3. Smog....Will i be able to pass the sniff test here in cali with a stroker? or will the increased displacement fail me with flying colors. visual is not too much of a concern..most guys smogging will pass it for visual without much hassle from what i hear. but the emissions is the big problem.

Ah, and thats the beginning...

GTFO noob.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      GTFO noob.
      lol fag.

Comment

PM PiercedE30, I believe he has a 2.9 M50.

Comment

I spent less then you on my swap but good luck to you sir.
          Last edited by e30s52; 09-06-2009, 09:10 PM.

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Cali = no chance
            My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

lmao smog requirements = dont swap ur car.... especially in a advanced smog area like socal..

s50 with all the smog shit in a 325i is your only shot..

Comment

Originally posted by zav3n View Post
                lmao smog requirements = dont swap ur car.... especially in a advanced smog area like socal..

s50 with all the smog shit in a 325i is your only shot..
                Mm.. first im in nor cal, yes an s50 in a 325i is a good swap.

And there would be no visual difference in an s50 and an m50 stroker.. With a good tune I think itd pass emmissions. looking for anyone who has done this? experienced input is nice.

Comment

You may pass visual but you wont pass the sniffer test.

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

throw 8 cats on it and then remove 7 after sniff?

Comment

Move to NC I dont even have to pass SMOG test haha

'88 325iX -Totaled
                      '97 M3 - Sold
                      '85 euro e30 Pete McHenry 2.8L m20 Stroker - Parting out
                      '89 325is - Sold
                      '95 540i 6spd
                      '87 325is M Technic I s50

Comment

a good tune and a proper cat there should be no problem passing. as long as everythings there of course
                        James Burger
                        DynotechMotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by iX-treame View Post
                          Move to NC I dont even have to pass SMOG test haha

+1 for Massatwoshits. We rip cats out and sell them to the Brazilians!
                          "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death."
                          -Patrick Henry, n.d.

Comment

What makes you so sure that you can get more power from a stroked m50 for less money than an s50/2?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by E34Dean View Post
                              1. 2.9l strokers semi built can get the s50 power for less money. less money? no way.

2. Well built m50 strokers can easily achieve more. more power? than what?

3. Cost would be lower than an s engine. again, no way. even a stock rebuild will cost more than a relatively low mile s50.

Now my questions

1. Reliability, less than the s50? this would be practically a new motor. I can get an m50 w. vanos at the local yard for $150 out the door, with a refundable 50 dollar core. Doest matter if it runs im rebuilding it anyways. s50 is just as reliable as an m50

2. Difficulty. obviously there are a lot of tools required to do the built im sure...I think most can be bought from harbor frieght or rented...am I right with this? yes

3. Smog....Will i be able to pass the sniff test here in cali with a stroker? or will the increased displacement fail me with flying colors. visual is not too much of a concern..most guys smogging will pass it for visual without much hassle from what i hear. but the emissions is the big problem. you need a bitchin custom chip tune, and a GOOD obd2 (legal) cat to pass the sniffer
                              answers in bold.

Comment

Working...
                              X