VNE30 M-fiddy time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VNE30 M-fiddy time.

This thread is just a report of progress on my 24v swap into my 89 325i. Detailing my thoughts, problems and shenanigans along the way.

So, after looking and waiting, I finally found a 24v motor that suited my needs and my budget. From what i know about the motor, it is a M52 block, M50 head, and MIGHT have S50 cams. The engine was in a Tuner motorsport e36 racecar, and was pulled, running to make way for a euro S52. I was told from the PO that I should assume that the rings/bearings were replaced at some point in the past, that it had 'alot' of miles on it, and that it could go either way on the m3 cams. So until I verify some things, there will be a lot of speculation flying around here.

As of right now, I just got the engine back to my garage. And need to borrow a friends micrometer to measure the cam lift to verify the m3 cams. Ive read the markings on the cams are useless, and the only for sure way to verify M3 cams is to measure the lift. If anyone can verify, that would be great.

All things considered, I think I did well with my purchase of this engine. I don't feel it was cheap, nor expensive, and that both parties got a fair deal. I will need quite a few parts to make this a full motor. But this has to be the cleanest 24v ive ever seen. This is how I picked the motor up this morning. Im assuming it hasnt been cleaned since i dont know when, both the external and internal of the engine is superb.

These are the parts I will need. Assuming the m50/52 blocks accept the same basic parts.

m50 Intake manifold - CHECK
    m50 alternator
    m50 a/c compressor
    m50 throttle body - CHECK
    HFM - CHECK
    413 ECU - CHECK
    chip for m3 cams
    e34 oil pan/pickup/dipstick - CHECK
    e28 rubber mounts
    modify transmission mount
    Wire harness adapter - CHECK
    Brake booster - CHECK

Coils, e36 engine mounts, e36 wire harness, exhaust manifolds, e34 throttle cable and a few other things I already have. The list makes up some of the major parts. I plan on using my stock clutch setup/transmission

Ill add some pictures to the next post, and im sure ill keep this thread updated with progress and pictures as i get to them. My goal is to have the car down for as little time as possible during the swap. So as much as i can do beforehand will get documented.

-Dan
    Last edited by bejbis; 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM.
    -Dan

Pictures
    89 325i

m52/m50/s50? Who knows?

-Dan

Comment

Sexy time.
      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Nice motor Dan.

Have you figured out what you're going to do exhaust wise yet? I'm still trying to get some recommendations for an exhaust shop on the eastern shore but am open to Mobile as well.
        -Josh

Check out my build thread...
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=131055

Need parts? Support the community!

http://www.gutenparts.com

http://www.blunttech.com

Comment

I was planning on buying a few mandrel bent stainless pipes, and throwing something together. it shouldnt be tooo hard. If you need someone to do you up a custom mandrel bent stainless exhaust in mobile I know a shop that does good work, but they will cost a pretty penny.
          -Dan

Comment

Yeah, I'll be supplying the y-pipe, the cat, the muffler and the resonator/muffler. A bunch of us at work need exhaust work done but none of us have taken the leap to find a shop. I at least have the excuse that the car is in another state.

Are you keeping the BBS or switching to the slipstreams? Those BBS sure look nice.

I look forward to reading more about this swap.
            -Josh

Comment

Welp, i found a NV m50 out of a e34 for 200$ complete that im thinking about picking up. its 2 hours away but it should have all the swap parts i need to get this motor along with the swap.

Jack, Is it jack? or josh? im unsure on if ill go with the slips or the bbs, but the BBS have good tires on them so they are on the car for the time being.
              -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by bejbis View Post
                Welp, i found a NV m50 out of a e34 for 200$ complete that im thinking about picking up. its 2 hours away but it should have all the swap parts i need to get this motor along with the swap.

Jack, Is it jack? or josh? im unsure on if ill go with the slips or the bbs, but the BBS have good tires on them so they are on the car for the time being.
                It's Josh but I'll still answer to Jack as it's been a nick name for some time. Long story and not very good. I can bore you with some time. ;)

I have some OBD2 parts available should you decide to go against the grain with your swap. I liked the warm fuzzy feeling I got from all the OBD1 information available so I went that way.
                -Josh

Comment

clean car and motor! Looking forward to seeing the swap progress
                  stephenbrody.com

Comment

Wow I really like your car, the bbs looks great with the chrome window trim and the spoiler is awesome, e28 mtech1?

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                      Wow I really like your car, the bbs looks great with the chrome window trim and the spoiler is awesome, e28 mtech1?
                      Yep, im really digging the RS's right now, however they rub really bad due to the spacers im running with them in combo with the tire size. and yes, it is a e28 mtech spoiler.

josh, I have a little experence playing with obd1 systems and have a couple friends who can help me with it for when some sort of FI gets thrown on this motor, so obd1 seems to be where im headed with this. Plus, with so much obd1 info its hard to turn it down.
                      -Dan

Comment

wow, nice.

keep us updated
                        -Andy

Comment

I really don't want to brag, but I think this may be the cleanest motor ever. There isn't the first sign of any deposits anywhere in the head. I'm sure its been gone through fairly recently. The VIN plate on the back of the head is still there so i doubt its been hot tanked.
                          -Dan

Comment

The inside of the engine looks like it was just rebuilt, it is so clean. Very nice.

But it still pisses me off!!! Okay,I'm glad you got it; I can't wait until you install that in your car so that I can drive it but then it will really piss me off.

Thanks again for welding that part up, you saved me several days of waiting around for a new one.

Comment

So, Ive spent damn near all night looking at wire schematics and posts and everything for the adapter for my swap. I have a c101 and x20 connector for making the adapter, a bit of extra wire and my crimpers. Im going to post up my diagram for the adapter, if anyone has any input on it, please let me know. Car is a 89 325i and the harness is a 94/95 e36 harness. Question marks indicate what im fairly unsure about.

e30 ---- e36

1 ---- 25 ---- Alternator
                              2 ---- X------ Oil level (static)
                              3 ---- X -----
                              4 ---- 12 ---- Coolant temp
                              5 ---- 23 ---- Oil pressure
                              6 -?- 22 ---- Diagnostic plug
                              7 ---- 21 ---- Ignition
                              8 ---- 24 ---- Fuel econ.
                              9 ---- 20 ---- Tach
                              10 --- X ---- Oil level (dynamic)
                              11 --- 11 --- SI Reset