Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interest in a GB for an M20 HFM+airbox kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest in a GB for an M20 HFM+airbox kit?

We are going to get a group buy going for a full m20 hfm intake kit. The kit will include a factory bosch 3" m50 MAF, has a custom dyno tune to adapt the MAF and is tuned for optimum performance. The actual m20 intake/airbox kit, will be the same exact design as the 24v kit, because it uses the same style MAF.

The MAF adaption was done 4 years ago on both of the Castro Brother's e30s. I've driven and raced against an m20 powered e30 with this kit and tune, and it is a very noticeable gain over stock. The entire drive-ability of the car is changed. The custom dyno-tune provides crisper throttle response, more power throughout the power band, and an actual improvement in gas mileage!

Pics of the almost identical 24v set-up:

Pics of the box with the top off.

Pics from the front of the car, with the headlights removed to show ABS clearance.

Price for the full MAF kit with the 2-piece airbox set-up, will be between $4-500 depending on how many people sign up for the GB.

Dyno numbers (before & after) will be up in a few week, when the first kit will be ready.

If you like your m20, but want some more power out of it, then this is the product for you!
    Last edited by e30polak; 03-08-2010, 12:59 AM.
    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Cool idea, would they sell just the chip if I already have a m50 maf and pigtail laying around and I'm too cheap to buy the airbox? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mossman View Post
      Cool idea, would they sell just the chip if I already have a m50 maf and pigtail laying around and I'm too cheap to buy the airbox? :)
      Yes, we can sell the tune for $200 each. If we get more people to buy, we can offer them at a lower rate,

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

okay Im fused here. Is this only for the M50 or for both M20 and the M50 motors?
        What is this going to do with fuel rails with larger injectors?
        Will you have options for 17#, 19# and large injecters or am I off base here?
        What exactly is included.
        How are early model and late model setups different?

Sorry for all the "dumb" questions but read it to me like I'm a 17 year old with a hard on and a mess under my desk!

Either way I think you can count me in if I can get this to work with my stroker build I have going... (read: keyword "IF")

-----------------------------------------------------------
        DAMN THATS HAWT!!!

Comment

In for dyno plots.

Comment

Will the maf conversion come with an IAT?
            Will it require cutting/splicing wires, or will it come with a PnP harness?
            Any provistion for a car with 19lb injectors?

If you can make this as easy to install as the Miller system, beat their price with the pimped out airbox included, and provide dyno proof on the gains, I'll buy a kit.

Comment

great work, any reason your going with 3" maf instead of 2.75" like miller does for stock M20 cars? would a 3" have a little less low end compared to a 2.75"?

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by rhett325i View Post
                Will the maf conversion come with an IAT?
                Will it require cutting/splicing wires, or will it come with a PnP harness?
                Any provistion for a car with 19lb injectors?

If you can make this as easy to install as the Miller system, beat their price with the pimped out airbox included, and provide dyno proof on the gains, I'll buy a kit.
                You must be crazy if you think we are going to sell an entire airbox, and HFM kit for the price that Dan sells just his MAF and chip for. You're getting much more with our package.

We are not trying to compete with Dan, as we are becoming a vendor for his WAR chips shortly. We are simply offering a kit using FACTORY BMW part, that is proven, reliable, and has shown great results.

The kit price will be around $450-$500 individually, and closer to $400 is we get enough people. There isn't as big of a market for the m20, since everyone is going 24v now.

If you think about it, Dan has to sell his MAF for the price he does, because he makes his own housing, and uses an expensive aftermarket sensor/filament. He does not offer an intake with his kit, and the factory m20 airbox is pretty restrictive.

Our kit will be more of an overall performance upgrade. You get a completely redone intake tract, and a custom tune that utilizes the performance from that. Our tune was done by a great tuner, and the 2 cars that had the kit on them before performed superbly.

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
                  great work, any reason your going with 3" maf instead of 2.75" like miller does for stock M20 cars? would a 3" have a little less low end compared to a 2.75"?
                  The 3" MAF is readily available, and much cheaper. Dan makes his own housing, which is not worth it for us to invest time in.

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                    You must be crazy if you think we are going to sell an entire airbox, and HFM kit for the price that Dan sells just his MAF and chip for. You're getting much more with our package.

We are not trying to compete with Dan, as we are becoming a vendor for his WAR chips shortly. We are simply offering a kit using FACTORY BMW part, that is proven, reliable, and has shown great results.

The kit price will be around $450-$500 individually, and closer to $400 is we get enough people. There isn't as big of a market for the m20, since everyone is going 24v now.

If you think about it, Dan has to sell his MAF for the price he does, because he makes his own housing, and uses an expensive aftermarket sensor/filament. He does not offer an intake with his kit, and the factory m20 airbox is pretty restrictive.

Our kit will be more of an overall performance upgrade. You get a completely redone intake tract, and a custom tune that utilizes the performance from that. Our tune was done by a great tuner, and the 2 cars that had the kit on them before performed superbly.
                    Last I checked (5 seconds ago), the Miller system uses Bosch sensors in normal Bosch housings, just like your kit.

Also, how can you not be competing with Miller when you are introducing an alternative product into the same market?

From the CUSTOMER perspective, here is how the two options line up:

Miller: Bosch sensor which is plug and play, custom tune with dyno sheets to back up claims, $299.

Your setup: Bosch sensor which you haven't been clear weather or not it's plug and play, custom tune with no dyno proof but the "assurance" that two cars ran real good with it, well-fitting two piece airbox, $400 - $500.

How crazy is it really to suggest that for an initial group buy, you at least match Miller's price?

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by rhett325i View Post
                      1. Last I checked (5 seconds ago), the Miller system uses Bosch sensors in normal Bosch housings, just like your kit.

Also, how can you not be competing with Miller when you are introducing an alternative product into the same market?

From the CUSTOMER perspective, here is how the two options line up:

2. Miller: Bosch sensor which is plug and play, custom tune with dyno sheets to back up claims, $299.

Your setup: Bosch sensor which you haven't been clear weather or not it's plug and play, custom tune with no dyno proof but the "assurance" that two cars ran real good with it, well-fitting two piece airbox, $400 - $500.

How crazy is it really to suggest that for an initial group buy, you at least match Miller's price?

Just my 2 cents
                      1. My mistake, I confused the housing adapter with the unit itself. Nevertheless, you don't have to buy the MAF from us. Anyone can get a used one for a better price off of any M50 Vanos car at the yard, and simply buy the intake tube, chip, and airbox kit from us. At the price we will be selling the kit for, you will get a brand new MAF.

2. We will provide the sensor plug, with wiring attached to the factory unit, and label the wires which can be either crimped, or sautered to the factory m20 harness. So it will be plug and play for the most part.

Also, as I stated earlier, the airbox is a part of the kit, with a higher flowing K&N filter. The factory m20 airbox is extremely restrictive, therefore the car doesn't get the full benefit from changing the MAF in retaining it. We sell the airboxes alone for $200, something that the Miller kit DOES NOT include in the $299 price tag. However, I am not comparing the 2 because we don't have any dyno numbers to back-up our product yet. Miller's kit is tried an true, and it is a great deal as well. We are just offering a more worthwhile option for the m20 guys that were already interested in the airbox by itself.

We will be posting dyno numbers in the next few weeks, when IRON-E30 will be getting his kit installed. I am confident that the full intake kit and tune will make good numbers on the dyno. I've driven both cars that were equipped with this set-up, and they were considerably faster then othe m20 e30s with intakes and a chip.

If you don't want to buy our kit, then keep your money. We've been really busy lately developing a custom intake/airbox set-up for the 335, where our time is better spent. It's not worth it for us to lose money by selling this entire kit for $300. We are offering quite a bit more then just a MAF and chip. There has to be a monetary incentive for us to spend the time on these. Even at $500 this will be a very fair deal for what we're offering.

If there isn't enough interest, then so be it. We have a few locals that will be purchasing the kit from us regardless. I simply wanted to offer a nice product to the m20 guys that would be interested. Let the dyno numbers and the videos speak for themselves when we post them. Until then feel free to say what you want. :roll:
                      Last edited by e30polak; 03-13-2010, 12:13 AM.

Comment

"wires which can be either crimped, or sautered to the factory m20 harness."

Was really interested until I read that. I'n my book that is not plug and play at all, in fact far from it.

Comment

I'm in pending A/B stock vs your kit dyno graphs. Serious interest here.

Just to recap, the price includes:
                          - Airbox & cover
                          - Filter
                          - AFM
                          - Tune
                          - All connectors/hardware needed
                          - All plumbing needed (if any, can't really tell)

?
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Any updates?

May be interested at $400 depending on installation details and dyno.

Comment

Interested as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X