Pantless Spencys zinno ETA fix-up thread. ~NOW RUNS YAY~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pantless Spencys zinno ETA fix-up thread. ~NOW RUNS YAY~

haven't made a thread yet for my piece of work e30. only made intro thread/other random bs threads....
    time to get to work!
    so about two months ago i bought an 86 zinno for 1k, i'm the third owner of the vehicle and it has just over 213k miles.
    turns out the car has a blown head gasket, so my priorities are to do the HG and while i'm down in there replace the timing belt and the water pump, new thermostat and possibly a new rad. since i haven't a clue what made it blow in the first place.
    i'm not mechanically savvy but i know how to turn a wrench and i'm damn good with lego's, i'm sure with a bentley manual, online information, and a mechanically savvy pal to help me with my problems, i'll be able to get the job done...

so far on my purchase list is:
    HG+machine shop fees...
    TB+ tensioner
    WP
    thermostat
    torque wrench
    head bolt set(lol is that what i would call it?)
    used/possibly new rad.

anyone know what my total cost should estimate to for all of the parts listed above?

above are things i would need for the project,
    but i would like to do an 885 head swap on to the 2.7 bottom end...
    although i know nothing about the procedure/ other things that need to be tweaked to run that set up.

so this will be my project thread.
    hopefully it will go well :P

Seriously though.
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Comment

^^^ i wish!!!
      that would be so much longer of saving up tho and not driving my e30 :( i havent taken it out in 3 weeks and i already feel like my heart has stopped. been driving around a GMC pickup truck..... makes me want death.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
        ^^^ i wish!!!
        that would be so much longer of saving up tho and not driving my e30 :( i havent taken it out in 3 weeks and i already feel like my heart has stopped. been driving around a GMC pickup truck..... makes me want death.
        Dude I bought my E30 as a present to myself for my 17th birthday like 5 or 6 months ago. I was in the same slump as you, I bought it with a bad HG unknowingly. I had to do all that work by myself without any prior mechanical experience.
        Then the following 4 months were complete hell cause my M20 was terrible, I had to do so much work and put so much money into it. I finally got it perfect right as I bought an M50 because I was just tired of working on it.
        If I had to do it all again, I would have saved up from the very beginning for an M50. I woulda never changed that HG.
        If this is what you really want to do, go for it. Driving around in a pick-up truck for a couple more weeks will definitely be worth it if you're able to go 24V.

But that's just me. I hated my M20 ;)
        Originally posted by TSI
        OEM+

Comment

haven't made a thread yet for my piece of work e30. only made intro thread/other random bs threads....
          time to get to work!
          so about two months ago i bought an 86 zinno for 1k, i'm the third owner of the vehicle and it has just over 213k miles.
          turns out the car has a blown head gasket, so my priorities are to do the HG and while i'm down in there replace the timing belt and the water pump, new thermostat and possibly a new rad. since i haven't a clue what made it blow in the first place.
          i'm not mechanically savvy but i know how to turn a wrench and i'm damn good with lego's, i'm sure with a bentley manual, online information, and a mechanically savvy pal to help me with my problems, i'll be able to get the job done...

so far on my purchase list is:
          HG+machine shop fees...
          TB+ tensioner
          WP
          thermostat
          torque wrench
          head bolt set(lol is that what i would call it?)
          used/possibly new rad.

anyone know what my total cost should estimate to for all of the parts listed above?

above are things i would need for the project,
          but i would like to do an 885 head swap on to the 2.7 bottom end...
          although i know nothing about the procedure/ other things that need to be tweaked to run that set up.

so this will be my project thread.
          hopefully it will go well :P
          I'd say your set then.
          From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters.

Originally posted by lambo
          Fuck studying. Party hard.

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
            Dude I bought my E30 as a present to myself for my 17th birthday like 5 or 6 months ago. I was in the same slump as you, I bought it with a bad HG unknowingly. I had to do all that work by myself without any prior mechanical experience.
            Then the following 4 months were complete hell cause my M20 was terrible, I had to do so much work and put so much money into it. I finally got it perfect right as I bought an M50 because I was just tired of working on it.
            If I had to do it all again, I would have saved up from the very beginning for an M50. I woulda never changed that HG.
            If this is what you really want to do, go for it. Driving around in a pick-up truck for a couple more weeks will definitely be worth it if you're able to go 24V.

But that's just me. I hated my M20 ;)
            lol true,
            but i'm pulling like 250-400 pay checks every two weeks and im in college...
            how much could a whole s/m/5X swap set me back?
            also i would have to somehow get around smog here in california... and how in the hell did you do an m50 swap with no experience? -____-

Comment

Originally posted by KamakaziX View Post
              I'd say your set then.
              lmfao haha i knew id get shit for that line.
              it makes sense.... somewhat. i'm really bad at comparisons.

Comment

Sounds like you have a good start man. I'll be paying attention to this. You should post some pics btw. Lets see this thing!!

On other topics from that, I think that the M20 is a good base to start with for learning some mechanic work and just due to the fact that it has some sick potential imho. I also agree that an M/S/50/52 is somewhere good to start. It is entirely up to you though. I first started out wanting to fix up my M20 after spinning a rod bearing in it, then I decided to go M50 for awhile and now I'm back onto to the M20 (cuz NOBODY can say that a stroker M20 with ITBs and a turbo isn't gonna be cool) LOL
                1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
                sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
                The Build...

Comment

lol true,
                  but i'm pulling like 250-400 pay checks every two weeks and im in college...
                  how much could a whole s/m/5X swap set me back?
                  also i would have to somehow get around smog here in california... and how in the hell did you do an m50 swap with no experience? -____-
                  I paid I think $350+springs for a 90k M50 with oil pan and wiring harness. Got S52 headers,downpipe, E36 motor arms and E34 engine mounts for $50 total, and a porsche brake booster for $40.
                  You'll find a good deal being over there in Cali.
                  How'd I swap an M50 with no experience? Carefully ;) .

But honestly just really plan ahead. I know you're in college and I just graduated HS, so I really like Ultimate Ballin on a School Budget E30 builds. Going 24V really helped me not lose my fucking mind stressing over M20 stuff and gave me a lot more time to myself, not just working on my car all the damn time. It's all what you really want. My M20 basically taught me everything I needed to know about building a SOHC motor so some good came out of it.
                  Originally posted by TSI
                  OEM+

Comment

i have an m20 325is engine and an m20 i head. pm me. SOLD.
                    Last edited by bernzpeed; 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                    ---------------------------------
                    89 E30 S52
                    ---------------------------------
                    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

damn all you guys got me convinced on 24v...
                      shit lol.
                      m20 could be a good little engine though..
                      what to do what to do.
                      in the mean time heres some photos.
                      second to last is day of purchase lol, bad temp gauge + 3 hour drive and it still made it home without blowing up! haha.
                      and last pic is just for shits and gigglez, me skating a few months back.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hipster.
                        From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters.

Originally posted by lambo
                        Fuck studying. Party hard.

Comment

Ah there we go!! Now we know what she looks like
                          1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
                          sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
                          The Build...

Comment

Originally posted by KamakaziX View Post
                            Hipster.
                            ?!:O how. haha.

Comment

Still have that motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X