Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DRTY 30 Project log <3

The story -

In late 2010 I picked up my e30 up from a friend for $450 in completely stock form with well over 200k miles. It is in immaculate shape inside and out and runs like a top.

How I bought it:

I couldn't stand the 4x4 status so a week later I decided to upgrade the suspension. The Old shocks were leaking/blown and weren't cutting it anymore anyways. I went with H&R Race springs combined with Bilstein Sport struts. I have to say I love this combination!

Dont mind the rake ;) This was before the rear spring pads were removed:

Days went on and I found a set of wheels that I thought really would transform the over all look of the E30.

The rims were XXR 521's 16x8 +20. The only thing that kind of sucks is the tire variety for a 16" rim, other then that I love these:

Race rubber on the left and Daily rubber on the right. Both are 225/xx/16 tires...

Rolling/slight pull in rear to accommodate race rubber. When i bought these i didnt take into consideration that these were wider then your average street tire. They sat like 235's but were sold as 225's:

Front fitment with race rubber lol:

Rear fitment (before the roll):

Scrub in (first drive on the race rubber):

Action shot of the most recent setup:

Corbeau CR1 (fat-ass friendly for yours truly):

Well It's been a while since I updated you guys on what happened to the DRTY 30. So up to this point I had gotten the E30 to where I wanted it. It was a functional daily driver and weekend auto-x toy and still reliable enough to take across the country in comfort IMO ;)

About 2 weeks ago my precious car was involved in an accident and was totaled out by insurance. Radiator support was damaged enough to warrant replacement. I was cut-off in traffic and was not cited for the accident but i lost my car in the end.

So, I wasn't about to let this car go...yet. I decided to buy back the car from insurance to strip the Engine/tranny/parts I have put into the car. I went out and found another clean 87 325 as a suitable replacement for the old one, thus the DRTY 30 V2 was born... Plan of attack consists of taking everything out of the old car and putting it on the new one. I will update this as things get swapped over, wish me luck.

Alright I got some work done this weekend on the V2 DRTY 30... Excited to see this come together again. Overall I was extremely happy with the condition of the new one. No rust, very little maintenance required to get it in tip-top shape. I managed to get all of my parts swapped over less my Corbeau racing seats and drive-line.

I stripped all my parts out of the old one (drive-line, differential, suspension, solid mounts, etc). I was left with this:

Started swapping the suspension:

Finishing up the car with new fluids, inspecting the ball joints/bushings etc:

The finished product for now:

Also, I pulled the front grills off to respray them in flat black and also fix the passenger side headlight supports.

Long day was long! Managed to get a TON done...

• Differential installed
    • New CSB installed
    • New half shafts installed
    • New guibo installed
    • New drive shaft installed
    • Corbeau seat installed

Completed my front grill(s) with plasti-dip for durability and they turned out awesome. I also coated the metal rings that hold the seal beams to their mounting brackets:

Sorry for the poor quality here, I will take a better photo tomorrow..

Well shadow-lining is still scheduled on my to-do list for this weekend. I worked on getting my interior sprayed from navy blue to black and boy what a difference it will make!

Here are a few pics of the panes being sprayed:

Alrighty, got some more progress done today! I finished up my door panels which turned out amazing!

And, I started prepping the trim for some black plasti-dip!

Last edited by Cronopoulos; 03-31-2012, 12:47 AM.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

great project

I sent you a pm about your old 325:)
    jm

Comment

What quick release are you using? Car is coming along nicely!

Comment

Please tell me you are thinking euro bumpers as one of the next mods.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jm View Post
          I sent you a pm about your old 325:)
          jm
          Pm'd

Originally posted by Tron View Post
          What quick release are you using? Car is coming along nicely!
          Thanks! I am running this guy:

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
          Please tell me you are thinking euro bumpers as one of the next mods.
          Actually I have been looking into them :)

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
            Actually I have been looking into them :)
            Awesome, Other than that, I'd say euro rear plate filler and a set of smoked ellipsoids. Good to hear you are on the right track, and not asking about the newest jurostop kit or anything rice status.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
              Awesome, Other than that, I'd say euro rear plate filler and a set of smoked ellipsoids. Good to hear you are on the right track, and not asking about the newest jurostop kit or anything rice status.
              Thanks! Smoked ellipsoids are in the mail as we speak and I have actually never looked into the plate filler, interesting idea, thanks! I would love to find some "real" wheels for this eventually...

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

As of yesterday, I got my Yakima rack back on! Also took ole' betsy to a local dyno day... They were giving out an award for the lowest whp as well hahaha... needless to say I won :D

Last edited by Cronopoulos; 03-31-2012, 12:44 AM.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

Did you have to roll your fenders?
                  Car looks good, love diving boards.

88' BMW 325i
                  Bavauto springs
                  Billy HD front/KYB rears
                  Varrstoen V3 15x9 et25 10mm up front and 8mm rears.
                  205/50's

Comment

god damn, i love your car, not diggin the wheels too much but they are nice.
                    what color is it? such a fucking nice color it gives off in the garage.... a nice glossy-flat grey.
                    is it cirrusblau?

Comment

Originally posted by dirk619 View Post
                      Did you have to roll your fenders?
                      Car looks good, love diving boards.
                      Nope, I run stock fenders with the black rims. However if you run a 45/50 series tire i would recommend doing so. Thanks for the compliment!

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
                      god damn, i love your car, not diggin the wheels too much but they are nice.
                      what color is it? such a fucking nice color it gives off in the garage.... a nice glossy-flat grey.
                      is it cirrusblau?
                      Thanks man! The car was unfortunately was re-painted when I bought it and is not the original color. I dont even know if it is an OEM BMW color. I love it as well and will try and find out what it is for you.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

Alright a few more little updates!

Rolled the front and rears for my Auto-x setup -
                        * 225/50/16 Hankook RS-3's

Fishbowl-

With some fresh tint (15%) -

Euro smileys with 8k HID's -

Last edited by Cronopoulos; 03-31-2012, 12:51 AM.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

Hey man, I really like the car. Looks mean with the race rubber on it!
                          -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
                          2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Nice work man! It's comin along nicely! Too bad about the first one, but at least you found a suitable replacement for it!!
                            1989 325i|1992 325i|And completely obsessed|:woowoo:
                            sigpic BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine.
                            The Build...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Cash View Post
                              Hey man, I really like the car. Looks mean with the race rubber on it!
                              Thank you sir!!!

Originally posted by drutt23 View Post
                              Nice work man! It's comin along nicely! Too bad about the first one, but at least you found a suitable replacement for it!!
                              Thanks!!! More updates to come soon.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

Comment

Working...
                              X