Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Ass Teenager Turbo/Body Work/Respray Learning Experience Build Thread

Howdy

Ok, here we go. Starting off with an M50 swapped 89 325i. E36 325is/318ti 5 Lug. Almost every aspect of the car has been freshened and cleaned up. New bushing everywhere. ABS delete with new lines. I’ve been considering a turbo build for a while now. Not becuase I have a death wish or anyone who I want to be faster then. But just as a project to keep me occupied for something to be proud of. Car is off insurance for now so Im not rushed to get it back on the road. Funds are limited but I think I should be able to get this together for under 2,000.

What I have so far:

67 Trim T3/T4 Turbo. Its no name and cant seem to find much information. But it has very little shaft play and looks clean.

Huge intercooler, fits very well with the inlet/outlet on the bottom down by the fogs. Size is aprox 24x14x4 (guessitmate) Valance will need some modifying because its so thick. (thats what she said)

Cracked e36 bottom mount manifold. This is a living off hopes and dreams kind of thing. I cut the flange off that bolts to the turbo, flipped the manifold and bolted it to the head and then positioned the turbo where it needs to be and welded a bar from the manifold to the flange to get the positioning right. Manifold is now with my buddy who is really good at TIG welding and hes gonna try to seal up all the cracks, and box in the area between the flange and the manifold. It would be great if I could make this work, its worth a try. Half of me knows im gonna be buying a goodntight manifold before next track season. Manifold is modified for an external wastegate

No name waste gate and BOV. Gonna get a new spring for 7psi because I dont know what its currently set too.

Charge pipes for the bottom mount setup. Probably of no real use, plan on getting all new plumbing.

FPR and some other misc small fittings and such, boost gauge.

I plan on welding up the entire exhuast, does it HAVE to be 3”?

Turbo currently has an oil feed line on it. Im guessing im gonna get oil from the filter housing. My question is should I just not run that oil pressure switch as my wiring adapter doesnt have any check engine lights wired in, or should i still “T” off of there.

Im pretty with my MIG machine but Im gonna have my friend weld the bung on the oil pan. I was gonna drill and tap it but it would be at an upward angle and since the oil drain is gravity only I wouldnt feel safe with that.

What I plan on ending up with:

Looking for around 300-320hp. Stock head gasket/internals. 7psi. Reliable.

As for tuning Im still researching. From what I hear I should run the 803 MAF, wideband, bigger injectors, and then I MIGHT be ok with my stock chipped ecu. Looking for the simplest solution here, I dont want to get my hands dirty in something I cant understand or work on. I have my goals low becuase my turbo knowledge isnt great.

So yadda yadda yadda I didnt want to come out looking like a complete idiot. Im researching what I can but any input from you experienced guys would be awesome!!!!!

post lots of pics and we will be happy :)
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop?? ;-)
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    But of course
    E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Turbo is just sittin there

Comment

92's? love those wheels
        -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
        -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
        MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
        Got Drop?? ;-)
        Originally posted by JinormusJ
        But of course
        E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

subscribed
          Originally posted by TSI
          ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
          OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
            92's? love those wheels
            Reps, but thats all I could find in 15's and 5x120. Thanks

Comment

I've seen some guys "T" into the stock oil pressure sender location

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
                I've seen some guys "T" into the stock oil pressure sender location
                Ive heard there are places in the hosing you can just tap into. True?

Comment

Is that a spal low profile?

Comment

No Im pretty sure its just a generic fan, ill get some more info

Comment

You might have to just not run a valance if it's 4'' thick and the cooler isn't even
                      up against the body. :)

Comment

You should sign up on e30tech. I believe most people t into the oil pressure sending location.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                          You should sign up on e30tech. I believe most people t into the oil pressure sending location.
                          I have account there but I prefer this community.

It might be three inch, ill check

Comment

Ok so I have a Begi FPR. Not sure exactly how to hook it up, what exactly it does or how to use it to tune my car. Do I need a tuneable MAF if I run this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jafxod View Post
                              I have account there but I prefer this community.

It might be three inch, ill check
                              Even if you prefer this community, which I do as well, e30tech really is the place to ask these questions. There is a hell of a lot more info there. You could find the answers to all of your questions simply by looking through Jordan's massive thread. I'm not trying to be a dick, I am just stating the facts.

Comment

Working...
                              X