My "beater" 318is progress over the summer...*LOTSA PICS*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "beater" 318is progress over the summer...*LOTSA PICS*

So I have always loved E30's since one of my good friends had an '89 325is a few years ago in college (hence the '07 join date). I decided to pick one up on a budget this summer to have something to tinker with. I wanted a 318is for the lightweight and gas mileage and after a month or so of looking for one that looked promising (with Ronal LSs...one of my favorite wheels) for sale in TN. I called the guy up and talked to him about the car for a while then decided to make the 4 hour drive to take a look at it.

Here are some pictures from the for sale ad:

Mechanically, the car had a very loud timing 'tick' noise that disappeared with high RPM. The PO told me it just needed a new timing tensioner and that would go away - he seemed like a quick-fix kind of guy, which I really found out about later. If it weren't for the smoked hellas and the Ronals, I probably would have walked BUT after kicking the tires for a bit I got him down quite a bit and drove off with the car.

Before getting the timing issue completely resolved the woodruff key ended up shearing and the car pulled time. A compression test showed unfortunate results and I decided to swap in a new ~70k M42 out of a '94 auto 318.

Old timing gears/chain/all of the rails were shot and there was a lot of gunk built up.

New motor for comparison

Heartless

Once the engine was sorted the car ran great and I was off to fix some of the small cosmetic stuff that bothered me. The not-so-perfect paint on the car is something I don't mind at all, it's nice not having to worry about door dings/bird shit all the time.

Taking off the front plate and adding a buddy's spare factory lip made a huge difference on the front end.

Couple coats of wax made a big difference on the hood/roof/trunk

Swapped the steering wheel/shift knob

Painted some trim pieces that were faded

PO was either in a hurry or is technically challenged as the smoked hellas were wired horribly and almost all of the adjusters were broken

Cleaned it up and repaired all of the adjusters

and wired in the city lights

then added Euro grilles

So she sat, most of the simple small annoying things were fixed. Now was time for suspension. I had planned on GC's w/shortened strut housings from the get-go but after spending that money on the motor swap I was finding it difficult to justify. I was looking around for ideas on a budget-friendly option that would let me go low while still maintaining good handling. That's when I stumbled on Grippy's thread here.

I decided to go with the same basic setup, H&R races all around with one coil cut up front and the KYB camaro shocks in the rear. After a few pm's back and forth with grippy about what he would change I decided to go with 15mm aftermarket drop-hats and Bilstein sports in the front. Once all of the parts were in I made the trip to a friend's place (LJ851 on here) as he has done it before and I have zero "real" tools at my apartment.

Last picture before the trip to put on the suspension

Getting started

Misc parts...cut the Bilstein internal bump stops in half

Camaro KYBs and H&R races installed in the rear, as a side note we had a set of the E30 rear KYB gas-adjusts that we were able to compare to the camaro model and the dampening and rebound were both much improved on the camaro part.

Comparison of the stock spring to the cut H&R race...really shows how compressed the factory spring must be in stock form

All done up front!

Rolled the car out and after a quick test drive I could not have been happier with the ride height and the performance of the new suspension. It's not too harsh, cuts body roll down to almost nothing, and is very confidence inspiring through corners.

First picture on the new setup

So that's basically where the car is now. The new suspension/steering wheel completely changed the car from a boat to something very fun to drive and the M42 is getting around 35mpg consistently on the highway. I figured it was finally time to take some decent pictures so here it is as of today:

and my favorite from today

The 195/50 tires are the next thing to go, which will be replaced with 205/50s. Other than that my only real plan for the car is to drive it!

Car looks great. Needs a spacer in the rear though
    Dare 2 Dream Motorsports
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyE30autox View Post
      Car looks great. Needs a spacer in the rear though
      Thanks man, yea I forgot it in the post but I plan on doing a mild spacer in the rear when I do the tires.

Comment

I looooooooooooooooove it.
        Its wow.
        sigpic

Comment

Nice work man, the car looks very clean!

Comment

I want some ronals, bad
            sigpic

Comment

She sits very nice...great set-up.
              '88 327is - Alpinweiß/Black
              '98 V70 AWD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx0TorGVg2U)

Comment

Great little project. You're doing it right. Bigger engine in the future?

The Build:
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                  Great little project. You're doing it right. Bigger engine in the future?
                  Thanks man. No plans for a motor swap, I wanted a 318 for the M42, and could have swapped something in when the first one blew. If I change my mind in the future I would probably sell this car and buy a shell/do the swap or buy one already done.

Comment

:up::up:
                    sigpic

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Fuckin-a P that looks good. Glad to hear your oil pan is still on speaking terms...

It's amazing how much different a M42 car feels compared to a M20 car. Even moving the car around in the driveway was completely different than my 325is.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

i've never loved these ronals more than i do on your car. just wow.

E46t

Comment

looking good, I just put basically the same suspension on my car, KYB camoro shocks in back, Bilstiens in front with IE st 3 springs.

I guess since I have early model my rear seems higher than yours.

What do you mean by cutting the internal bump stop? does it make front lower? I need some drop hats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by siazul View Post
                              looking good, I just put basically the same suspension on my car, KYB camoro shocks in back, Bilstiens in front with IE st 3 springs.

I guess since I have early model my rear seems higher than yours.

What do you mean by cutting the internal bump stop? does it make front lower? I need some drop hats for sure.
                              Cutting internal bumpstops in bilsteins is to increase the suspension travel so you are not bouncing off the bumpstops all the time thus making the ride soother.
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X