Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E36 Auto to Manual Wiring Harness Conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 Auto to Manual Wiring Harness Conversion.

Hey all

I'm an E30 guy doing an M50 swap and I've not been able to find much info on making my M50TU harness into a manual harness.

Anyone got any info?

I've been trying to ID the various wires coming from the auto computer, but there's a second body plug (like the x20) that I'm assuming has to do with the automatic.

I've got it down to a few wires, but what is that plug for?

Where is the ABS wires on the manual? How do I get brake lights and reverse? Where is cruise control?

Any help is good!
    REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Yes, no, maybe?

Comment

I just did this swap recently, and my harness was an auto e36 harness. I basically eliminated everything pertaining to the EGS transmission control harness. Search the ETM's listed at wedophones and you'll find detailed schematics. Good luck!

Comment

ETM is the best bet to make sure you have it all. I cut off the extra X20 looking connector, and traced back all cut wires to their source and removed them. ETM specified a few more that were also removed. No issues with running or other electrical gremlins due to this process.
        I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Awesome! What did you do with the AUTO computer? I have a few wires that run from there to the X20/C101 connector.

Comment

Delete

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
              Awesome! What did you do with the AUTO computer? I have a few wires that run from there to the X20/C101 connector.

remove computer and use for target practice, cut all wires and sell as scrap copper to help fund the build.

Comment

LOL Thanks for the help guys. I'm down to 3 wires now.

Grey/green
                Grey/brown
                White/Red/Yellow Stripes

I've narrowed it down to traction control, stability control and ABS. Do I nix all three? Will I still have ABS? The E30 is an 1986, so ABS is run through the C101 connector?

Comment

hey did you ever find any more info on this? how did it go? My auto harness is currently sitting on my floor -- im using the same method tracing wires ... let me know if you had any other issues or anything that you need a second opinion on lol

also -- anything need to be done about the gear selector? It wont immobilize the starter if theres no signal from it? I've heard about jumping it so it believes its in N always?

Comment

I removed all the auto crap from my M50 harness, and did NOT have to do a jumper for the gear selector. No odd issues erupted from the conversion, just cleanup and wire removal

Comment

Originally posted by cormier View Post
                      hey did you ever find any more info on this? how did it go? My auto harness is currently sitting on my floor -- im using the same method tracing wires ... let me know if you had any other issues or anything that you need a second opinion on lol

also -- anything need to be done about the gear selector? It wont immobilize the starter if theres no signal from it? I've heard about jumping it so it believes its in N always?
                      I started at the auto computer, rather then the connector as previously advised. I peeled back the cover and just followed the wires.

Mostly all the wires just went straight to the connector from the computer, so those were safe to just eliminate. However, there was a brown wire from the computer to the X20 connector that was a GND I believe. I'll just tie that into the rest of the GND in the harness.

RIght now I'm down to those three wires I had before. (grey/green, grey/brown(?) and the red white and yellow dots one)

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
                      I removed all the auto crap from my M50 harness, and did NOT have to do a jumper for the gear selector. No odd issues erupted from the conversion, just cleanup and wire removal
                      WHat did you do for the reverse lights and cruise control?

Comment

Reverse lights work off the manual transmission, they are part of the E30 body harness, no modificaton required. Cruise control required me to change the throttle actuation cable and thats it. no other mods required, Cable I sourced was from a NV E36, same actuator, different cable. works just fine.

Comment

there was a brown wire from the computer to the X20 connector that was a GND I believe. I'll just tie that into the rest of the GND in the harness.
                          The big brown one that ties into 4-5 other ground looking wires in the main body? I just cut it off at the junction, figured the auto computer won't need to be grounded any more

RIght now I'm down to those three wires I had before. (grey/green, grey/brown(?) and the red white and yellow dots one)
                          If you put up a pic of the ETM page or pin numbers or even Bentley diagrams that have those wires I can help you out, I managed to get the entire auto computer harness wires out. Where do they connect on the other side? And all 3 are from the EGS main connector?

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
                            Reverse lights work off the manual transmission, they are part of the E30 body harness, no modificaton required.
                            Good to know thanks! And no need for any modification of the gear selector? It goes to the starter immobilization, but no signal from it is fine?

Comment

Originally posted by cormier View Post
                              Good to know thanks! And no need for any modification of the gear selector? It goes to the starter immobilization, but no signal from it is fine?

I ignored it, and have no start or run issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X