e34 remote brake booster install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JGood View Post
    I think I can shorten the metal linkage (width-wise), and move the rod that pulls the cable over to directly above the pedal, and have it exit the firewall closer to the center of the car, which should work put it in a straight line to go under the engine cover and into the TB.
    You still need an e34/e39 throttle cable assay, pn 35411154936. The e30 one is too short and won't reach the m60 throttle body, even after centering the throttle linkage
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
      You still need an e34/e39 throttle cable assay, pn 35411154936. The e30 one is too short and won't reach the m60 throttle body, even after centering the throttle linkage

Right, my concern was just getting the cable to exit the firewall in an inconspicuous area that also won't create any kinks due to cylinder head interference. I'm not sure which cable I'll end up using yet, that will depend on my final pedal linkage design. Which happens to be the least of my concerns at this point, lol.

The part number you listed is for the actual gas pedal. The e32/e34 m60 throttle cable is 35411161881.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
        Yep, it seems some late model cars came with plastic pedal vs metal, but probably a direct swap between the two?
        My 91 318i vert's was metal?

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
          My 91 318i vert's was metal?

Originally posted by Jean View Post
          Yep, it seems some late model cars came with plastic pedal vs metal, but probably a direct swap between the two?

;)

Comment

I need some production date correlation data dammit! :)

Comment

Right, my concern was just getting the cable to exit the firewall in an inconspicuous area that also won't create any kinks due to cylinder head interference. I'm not sure which cable I'll end up using yet, that will depend on my final pedal linkage design. Which happens to be the least of my concerns at this point, lol.

The part number you listed is for the actual gas pedal. The e32/e34 m60 throttle cable is 35411161881.
              Right. The PN you posted is correct. I was also thinking that using the E34 cable is no good too, unless you exit the throttle cable right behind the driver shock tower. I think that the curvatures inherent in the E34 cable, it may be too long if you exit closer to the center of the firewall.
              Recent Rebranding!!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Yeah I could find no pattern as to what late cars had the composite pedals.
                I ran across several of them when i was doing a bunch of auto>manual swaps.
                The pedals directly interchange with the metal ones though so no biggie.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Ok, good work.

Either way, I will shortly post what I did with the pedals and how I modified the plastic setup.

Edit: scratch that, I'll update this weekend when I have more time......and energy.
                  Last edited by Garageaholic; 02-09-2012, 10:33 PM.
                  Recent Rebranding!!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Getting this thread back on track with my install... I began working on the booster bracket setup. I cut out the upper frame rail as opposed to cutting the booster bracket itself. It's cast aluminum and has a nice flat base, and it was expensive! So I'll probably build a box inside the frame rail for this thing to sit on. I don't think I can mount it to the bottom of the frame rail... but we'll see. I clearanced the wheel well a bit, that helped a lot. It's just really hard to do anything with the huge engine there, but it needs to be there because that's how you know where the booster has to go... there isn't much clearance between the booster and cyl head.

Comment

Garey, was yours mounted to the bottom of the frame rail in this pic?

It's hard to tell. Do you use a calculator to take pictures? When is your birthday? I'm going to get you a digital camera.

Comment

Garey, was yours mounted to the bottom of the frame rail in this pic?

It's hard to tell. Do you use a calculator to take pictures? When is your birthday? I'm going to get you a digital camera.
                        1. No, it had a step stool
                        2. It is
                        3. You've been conspiring with Hockman, haven't you?
                        4. October
                        5. I have one, but it's old and doesn't take very good pictures

Lol...

Garey

Comment

wow, you guys are making great progress with this setup.

I tried for a bit to use this when swapping in my 2jz but it just seemed like too much hassle and took up too much room. In the end I went with a wilwood pedal box and custom mount.

I have the entire setup sitting in my garage if you need to buy another one, for whatever reason.

Keep up the good work guys!

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
                          function>form

Comment

Got the booster backet mounted today. This is something you need to do with the bracket, booster, and master cylinder all mounted together, the engine installed, and the core support/headlight in place. The forward, rearward, vertical and horizontal positioning is pretty close, only about a 1/4" in each direction, after doing some clearancing. I had to pound in the wheel well a bit, trim the headlight adjuster, and remove the frame rail top layer.

I still have a bit of work to do with the frame rail area, and reinforcing everything in general. But it's a good start, I think.

Comment

Wow very impressed. This part is cake compared to the pedal modifications, huh? Gonna post pics of my setup soon.
                              Recent Rebranding!!
                              E30 SM62/S62
                              E30 M60 V8
                              E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

It's not too bad to do I guess. Looking at those pics, I'll probably redesign that bracket on the wheel well. No reason for it to run the whole way over to the side, I can just angle it down into the wheel well, like what others have done. I'm an IT guy, so engineering things like this doesn't come easy. Ask me to build a 10 gig Ethernet circuit from LA to NY, I'll have it done in a few minutes. Ask me to build a bracket, I'll need to research it and mess it up 3 times before I get it right, 2 days later. Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X