My first "Real" e30 - 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first "Real" e30 - 318is

Well, after a long and gruelling search, I picked up a 1991 318is a few months ago. It's in pretty great condition, it just hit 200, 000 kilometers (I'm canadian so ~100k miles). It has absolutely no rust, super clean underbody, interior has been reupholstered. Engine has had a bit of a refresh (massive stack of receipts came with the car), engine bay is super clean, it has a chip, It's been repainted on all body panels except for the boot lid, roof, mirrors, and bumpers/valences, BUT it has no accidents! It was repainted due to some vandalism (PO was a cop so i'm assuming someone didn't like him too much). It also has some kind of blue shocks with unknown springs (haven't looked into it much), so it sits lower than stock (i plan to do GC coilovers)

Plans for this car are as followed - money is tight so this will be a long process:

Full suspension refresh - new poly bushings all around, IE sway bars. All current bushings are blown and there is a knocking in the rear - suspect is subframe bushing.
    Ground Control Coilovers - I want to go MUCH lower in the front and rear, having the ability to adjust with winter would be great as well... I plan to do a bit of auto-x and a few track days per year when everything is finished.
    Reupholster driver side bottom bolster
    Braking system overhaul - new callipers, rotors, lines
    16" wheels - Looking for borbet type A's (staggered), and some BBS RS
    Respray bumpers, valence, roof, boot lid, mirrors, and colour match IS lip
    Euro Trim
    Full black leather interior, black carpet + headliner, and either Vaders or some recaros for seats.
    Possible mtech2 kit (undecided)
    S52 swap
    Mtech 2 Steering wheel
    New window tint
    All red tails
    13 button OBC - still need the module from BMW
    Radar - i hate tickets
    Replace clear turn signal indicators

Things I've done (standard maintenance really)

V belts
    O2 sensor
    Oil change + Oil filter
    Sounds system (took a lot of time to hide it as much as possible for a stock look)
    6k HID's in low beams and fog lights (waiting to install fogs) - I wanted 5k but i was sent the wrong ones, no biggie. No pictures with them installed though
    Euro Smilies
    Black kidneys (i have a chrome set on my parts shelf to be swapped depending on mood)
    ZHP shift knob w/ z4 short shifter - The throw is SUPER short and notchy, i love it!!!
    Painted valve cover
    Strut brace
    Wheel refinish - PO did this, not sure if i like them though, they are ETA BETA lucky 48 wheels
    New wipers
    Euro Grilles
    Full cut polish and detail on the interior and exterior
    new emblems front and rear (need a proper rear emblem still)
    Leather ebrake/shift boot with mtech stitching
    Brand new bulbs in gauge cluster
    I have a new IS lip waiting to be installed (won it at the e30 picnic :D), just need to get valence painted before install
    yellow laminex on fogs and high beams (will be removed when i get new wheels)
    Maplight mirror
    Ryan G splitter and new clips for the IS lip
    Bluetooth installed with the new headunit
    Brand new Battery
    Wired up fog lights since car didn't come with them

Anyways, Onto the pictures! - i like pictures, so here's a lot of them. I'll get an engine bay picture up at some point too.

Last edited by smerfs; 07-27-2012, 04:37 PM.
    320I - under construction

Super clean car man! Keep her in good shape. :) See you at one of the meets

Congrats!
    1991 318i Sedan
    2005 X5 3.0i Sport
    2010 328i M-Sport Touring

Comment

Looks great, love the seats and wheels.

I love the part about the paint, you listed nearly half the car. ;)

Edit: I vote for smoked tails, all reds on a red car is too much imo.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
        Looks great, love the seats and wheels.

I love the part about the paint, you listed nearly half the car. ;)

Edit: I vote for smoked tails, all reds on a red car is too much imo.
        thanks!

I'm actually planning to tint them a bit after I do all red. The wheels will be for sale soon as well!

Here are some shots of my e46. It blew a head gasket and warped the head, so now it's waiting for a heart transplant. It's a 1999 323i with a sport package, summer tires are e46m3 wheels.

It's pretty much stock, only things done to it are lowering springs, clear corners, angel eyes, and m3 wheels for summer. The photos don't really do it justice, but this thing is pretty much as low as she'll go while still being somewhat practical. With the 19" summers + spacers the car looks way better...a better camera helps it out too.

Only picture i can find right now of it in summer mode...Go Canucks!

and finally, a shot of my first absolute POS e30. I bought it for $500, didn't run, turned out a piston was cracked, there was some rust i didn't find until after i pulled the motor, the entire tranny tunnel was rusty. So, this car met it's fate in the wrecking yard and then i bought my red one months later.

Last edited by smerfs; 07-27-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Nice pick-up! That looks really clean and tight......wish I could find something like that

Comment

Looks great! Those seats are sexy

Comment

I agree about the seats, and I'm loving the red/gold combo. Nice ride.
              sigpic

Always chasin'

Comment

Looks ver nice!! I like your seats.
                Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

great car man inspiring

Comment

Very nice! Love that interior.

Comment

sooo shmexy
                      E30 buildy things
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

Very Nice!
                        sigpic

Comment

thanks for the compliments everyone!!! Looks like suspension will be getting done in the upcoming weeks, I just have to swap the motor in the e46 first. I'll post updates as i make progress.

Comment

Tasty.

Love the wheels and interior..
                            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Suspension + brake bits are all being shipped right now and get to my house by thursday, i can't wait! Updates will follow!

Comment

Working...
                              X