the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

bought it with the 2.7i, but its just the beginning.

the_start by 2mAn

early model with plastic bumpers already converted, but not painted. Also has the late model valence that will get painted. mono wiper will stay for now, but will be moved down to be less DTM

old_enginebay by 2mAn

motor only has 7k since it was kind of rebuilt

old_interior by 2mAn

old_driverseat by 2mAn

this will be going black real soon and I can finally install these...

recaros_in_garage by 2mAn

still need rails and sliders and I just missed the batch that guys in Oregon are making :(

exhaust is loud, only has a muffler. sounds good, but not for a daily driver.

exhaust1 by 2mAn

exhaust2 by 2mAn

also has a black trunk which, of all the black parts, bothered me the most. luckily a friend close by helped me with that

old_ass by 2mAn

new_ass by 2mAn

trunk is also nice and bare, but theres stuff where my lukebox should go and also no skipass to punch, so Im contemplating another option.

trunk1 by 2mAn

thats it for now. Im stealing my SSRs from my eta and a few other stuff and the eta is going to get sold. Its been fun, but I couldnt pass up this deal.

The original plan is:

-Install SSRs*

-Swap exhausts with my eta*

-Install lukebox*

-Lay wiper to one side *

-Install new windshield *

-Paint front valence white *

-Weld on late model rear valence *

-Shadowline (no chrome on this car!)*

-mk3 VW front lip *

-Install Recaros*

-Install Houndstooth Panels*

-Fix e-brake

-Roast tires********************************************* ***************

Second List of things to do:

-replacing the wiring adapter with a repinned C101

-installing the 318is ECU mount

-painting a bunch of shit black (shadowline, bumpers, lower trim, etc)*

-polishing paint

-installing the red46 skidplate*

-Installing the Ansa muffler *

-welding on the late model rear apron *

-15mm spacers for the rear, to replace the 10mm *

-Motorsport hardware studs*

*=done
    Last edited by 2mAn; 11-18-2019, 09:26 AM.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Looks like the beginning of something nice. Big question is will you get this done before Spency gets his running?
    Continuous For Sale Thread
    323i s50

Comment

I have a full set of black door cards in nice shape

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
        -Roast tires
        That's the easy part!

Comment

swapped the SSRs on tonight. car looks awesome. and oddly enough, the eta looks really good with the BBS RAs also! should help the sale of the eta

really want to figure out how to lay down the wiper to one of the sides. whats the best way to get to the wiper motor?
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

had to drive to Portland today for some weight reduction!

1recaro by 2mAn

made a deal and got another Recaro SE with the rails for the price of the rails. Now I'll have a back up Recaro. Just need a little bit of cash to buy the rail and slider for the other seat.

also starting to plan exactly what is getting painted and when. but for now, heres a pic of the car i took today

phase1 by 2mAn
            Last edited by 2mAn; 06-30-2017, 09:04 PM. Reason: fuck photobucket
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

the exhaust swap has started!! unfortunately the 84s have a different hanger setup than every other year so the "new" exhaust isnt on completely yet. just the downpipes and mid section. VERY loud! so im back to driving the eta for this week. i guess thats the silver lining in not selling it as quickly as Id like. this should be all fixed by the weekend
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

eta is sold!
                exhaust is done!!
                parts are being bought!!!

I got some trunk carpet to clean things up a little bit. It will make more of a difference when I install the Lukebox. Im trying to keep this car light, but I dont mind some more weight over the rear wheels. Im not referring to the trunk carpet since that weighs nearly nothing. The Lukebox will add some weight back there and so will the late model rear valence. Luckily the rear valence is already alpine white so its one less thing I have to paint.

Im also beginning work on the interior things I want to do. Floor mats, new rubber seals, etc. This is my daily driver so I plan to have it be a nice clean driver that can haul ass when I want it to.

Probably wont be adding any new pics until the rear valence is done, but that shouldnt be much longer :)
                Last edited by 2mAn; 11-18-2019, 09:30 AM.
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

got most of the carpet sorted out yesterday, but it doesnt seem to fit perfect. anyone know if the 84 trunk was different? I would like to put the battery in the stock trunk location, but im not 100% sure its the same. I know 84s have a lot of minor differences. i still need to cut a hole where the sub is supposed to make noise from. no ski pass to punch out unfortunately...

doing research for the rear valence swap and came up with this nice set of pics.

I cant wait to get going on this. most of the early rear valence swapped cars Ive seen are black so you cant really tell. Mine should stand out
                  Last edited by 2mAn; 11-13-2012, 10:10 PM. Reason: because I fucking CAN! thats why
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Like!
                    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

I put a late model valence on my early model, however I still have the diving boards. Makes them look way better by hiding the ugly spare tire well and muffler!

Comment

Originally posted by frankie591 View Post
                        I put a late model valence on my early model, however I still have the diving boards. Makes them look way better by hiding the ugly spare tire well and muffler!
                        I was going to do that to my last E30, but ending up selling it before I got around to it. Now that this one has the late model bumpers, I have to go through with it. Also helps that my friend has an alpine late model he is parting so Im hacking off the rear valence tomorrow.

The rear valence and, eventually, IS side skirts are going to be one of the few things that are cosmetic mods. Everything else will focus on dropping the weight even further than it is now. Car weighs less than 2400lbs with a full tank
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Spent a few hours today with a good friend cutting off the alpine white rear valence off his parts car. Didnt come off perfect, but it should look great when I get it on the car. Cant wait!
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

I'll start by posting a pic I took a few weeks ago when I completed the exhaust swap. Car is still pretty loud for being just a stock "i" exhaust with a magnaflow dual in & out muffler *shrug* oh well, still sounds good

and heres a pic of the valence I cut, waiting to be trimmed and welded on

Also, drove the car to California (850+ miles each way) to surprise my mom for Thanksgiving. Car ran great avg of over 25mpg going 75-80 most of the way. Then on the day after I got bored and pulled the front bumper off, masked everything off and painted it with some white plastidip. Nothing fantastic, but it looks a LOT better IMO. Cant wait until the rear valence is on and the bumpers are painted, this thing will look badass...

Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Looking good Simon! As far as the battery goes....it won't fit in the normal trunk location. On the later cars there is a pocket that the battery fits in. The 84's didn't have it. That was the main reason I put the battery where I did. I've been plugging away on my new car but I really do miss the power........oh well

Comment

Working...
                              X