Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Storm Trooper(Brother's '92 Vert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Storm Trooper(Brother's '92 Vert)

I am sure many of you know my extensive work of family builds etc. Some may remember the 2.8 race stroker I am building for my Brother's vert.

Well that shell needs too much work to the paint and the trunk redone. So out of the blue life long friend of my parents called me up to see if I wanted his e30. 1992 two owner, 108k m42 5spd with all records...signed the paper work today ;)

Came from NC, garage kept its entire life. Friend bought it in 99, BMW serviced etc.

Plans:
    M20b28 race engine swap
    GC Coilovers from the old vert
    Cream mint leather interior from his old one
    OZ wheels that Dave@ Renewed just finished.
    2.93LSD
    iS lip is on order

It WILL NOT be slammed, my brother is not a slammed fan. He just wants to get down to 1.5 above the tread. DD friendly and it has normal daily springs for a nice ride. Coilovers are able to do that ;)

Updating on Tuesday, paper work will be in his name and all the goodies will be swapped over(besides engine). M42 till next spring, he will drive it till early December then store it in his garage.

Last edited by F34R; 03-30-2013, 08:26 AM.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

one lucky brother. very clean nice car.
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Why the 2.93? Seems a little long for a built up m20. Is it for highway use mostly?

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
        Why the 2.93? Seems a little long for a built up m20. Is it for highway use mostly?
        It is perfect for daily use, I have plenty of other gears if he wants something shorter down the road. It is purely a daily with a built engine for enjoying NY back roads.

Boils down to better mpg vs faster ratios.

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

seems a little foolhardy to swap out a fully documented, BMW serviced powertrain from an completely unmolested chassis.

but i look forward to the build anyway.

Comment

I agree with you to some extent, but the stroker is amazing for a daily. Completely rebuilt bottom and top end. 272 cam, springs, new valves, guides, port and polished intake and exhaust. Lightened M52 crank then knifed, new everything bottom end(used rods and stock pistons). ARP studs, MLS gasket everything for FI.

It is about the drive and it is just a nice clean vert. Not a s14 here buddy! Even so that would be ripped out for a proper s38 or s52.

Here is the old build with the engine in it

Just a clean swap with a few tasteful upgrades. Nothing that will harm the value or clean nature of the car.
            Proper ride height, rebuilt engine, refinished wheels.

Engine is ready to go, I am just waiting till I have more free time to do the swap. He has had enough down time with the last one. I just want him to enjoy it for awhile till he gets bored of the sluggish m42.
            His daily is a 05 CBR 600RR, he is selling that for a 1000 RR if anyone wants it ;) So you can understand him wanting a bit more get up and go. I am trying to talk him out of FInducing the stroker.
            Last edited by F34R; 05-16-2013, 10:45 PM.

Current cars:
            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
            ~ '87 535
            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

that does sound like a nice motor. i would like to build an M20 some day.. you have any photos that go along with that?

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                that does sound like a nice motor. i would like to build an M20 some day.. you have any photos that go along with that?
                I made a hyper link in the post above yours. Blue underlined sentence.

Current cars:
                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                ~ '87 535
                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Went to the shop after church, did some work! Wished we could have swapped interior, but we had to remove the suspension off his old one and swap the 318 on to that one. I did get the measurements for the custom spacers etc.

Going with 20mm rear 18mm front. Currently it has a 10mm to clear the housings in the front. Over the winter when it is stored in his garage I will do: Shortened housings(2"), Koni valved inserts, GC camber plates, complete front end bushing and suspension over haul.

I did polish the entire car, and bought black chip guard for the rocker refresh.

Slight leak from the oil pan gasket, but I could not find a spot of rust anyplace! I am so happy for him.

Bunch of e30s hanging around <3 Mine, my brothers, my sister(backed in blue one) and my brother's new vert.

Last edited by F34R; 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM.

Current cars:
                  ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                  ~ '87 535
                  ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                  ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Thats a super clean car. I can tell you guys like black wheels lol

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                    Bluebird Bus Conversion
                    New Oregon Trail

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyHenriksen View Post
                      Thats a super clean car. I can tell you guys like black wheels lol
                      Thanks man, and his wheels have blue flake in the clear powder. Dave @renewed finishes does a smashing job.

Oh...my Sister has refinished vintage black OZ with red flake lol.
                      Mine are bronze...just dirty from the carbon ceramic race pads.

Current cars:
                      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                      ~ '87 535
                      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Got a package in from Motorsport Hardware Saturday afternoon. Right in time for the meet this Sunday! Also installed the MOMO wheel and hub, Z3 shifter lever with new bushings and washers. Interior is done except for the black carpet. All that is really left to do is install the head unit, speakers and his subwoofer.

80mm stud kit, 20mm(rear) and 15mm(front) 57.1 to 57.1 centric spacers.

Before:

After:

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Little update of my nightmare Friday night...

Ordered Koni SA inserts and e30 M3 sway links to convert the front end to drop lower. Sectioned 1.5" out.

Used the bilstein sport insert nut to hold them in place till I can contact GC on Monday.

Silver lining: housing are shortened and M3 tabs are finished. Ordering camber plates while we are at it.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by F34R; 04-01-2013, 04:10 PM.

Current cars:
                          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                          ~ '87 535
                          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Car is now 1/4 higher than mine, it is gorgeous. This will also be @Gfest this weekend!
                            Attached Files

Current cars:
                            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                            ~ '87 535
                            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Also installed a pair of these to replace the old broken ones from like 1995 haha. Pairing them with a Hifonics 2,500 mono amp.
                              Attached Files

Current cars:
                              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                              ~ '87 535
                              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
                              X