Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Headunitless Audio System Design - Input / Criticism / Advice Welcome!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Headunitless Audio System Design - Input / Criticism / Advice Welcome!!

Disclaimer: I am a stereo noob so please excuse any errors or stupid questions. I'm here to learn.

I've been researching and piecing together parts for an audio system for a while. From the very beginning I wanted something that sounded nice (I'm no audiophile but I appreciate good quality audio), wouldn't cost a fortune, and I wanted it to all be run without a head unit. I will be using my iphone to basically run this system as it has all of my music (and if I get sick of those thousand or so songs, I can stream pandora or any FM radio station so I think I've got my bases covered). I have a few questions that I will ask at the end, but here's a rundown of what I'd like to do. Some of these items were per Luke's recommendation, others were things I found. I would appreciate any feedback on this, criticism, advice, or any other input anyone would like to give and I'm more than open to suggestions on what I should change or do differently. Here's what I've got so far;

Peripheral PXP01 ipod cable - this will allow me to have ipod to RCA as well as 12V for charging my phone. I would run it with an apple 32-pin to lightning adapter since I've got an iPhone 5 and all future iPhones will use this. The adapter supports audio and charging capabilities.

AudioControl LC8i - This will basically take the place of the head unit. The only input will be the RCA input. The remote controller controls sub volume as well as input volume so I will integrate that into one of the blanks above the old head unit. The unit will be powered on and off with an E36 window child safety switch (NOTE: the one in the E36 is simply an interrupter switch not a breaker so that will suit my needs). The LC8i has a remote power out so that will turn on the amp.

From here I will run RCA's to the 5-channel amp (which is still undecided), and the amp will power an 8" lukebox and components front and rear. From here on is open to change as these are things I have not purchased yet.

Amp:
    I am considering either the planet audio AC1800.5

or the Kenwood Excelon X700-5

For the sub, Luke recommended the Infinity Refererence 8"

And for components I was planning on running Infinity Reference 5030cs front and rear, I'd like to put the fronts in the stock locations (kick panels and tweeter sail panels) and for the rear I'd like to put them in OEM premium sound housings.

My Questions;
    1) WILL IT WORK?? :p That's the main question here, if I buy all of this stuff and put it in my car, will everything work together, sound nice, and work as one complete system?
    1)OHMS - I'm really confused on ohm ratings for the system. The Planet Audio is 2 ohms and the Kenwood can be either 2 or 4 ohms. The components are 2 ohms, but the sub is 4 ohms.
    2)RMS - Again, I've done some research but I'm still confused on RMS ratings of the amp vs. the speakers and whether or not the items I've chosen will play nice together. I made a spreadsheet below.

Again, I apologize in advance, if I come off like I don't know much about car audio, it's because I don't and that's why I'm here.

Thanks in advance!:D

i would run more speakers honestly id have in the front tweeters, full ranges, and mids, in the back fulls and tweets but it all depends on how much you wanna do and how great you want it to sound.
    sigpic

Comment

Yes, it will work. Thanks for the link on the cable too, I need one of those! Your speaker selection is fine, simple is good. Rear fill isn't as important as the front, it might be easier to drop a high quality coax speaker in the rear deck lid.

Ohms - this is the resistance your amp can handle, and on the speakers it's the resistance value. Just make sure that your speakers have a higher value than the amps minimum and you will be fine.

Rms - this is continuous power, on the amp side, it's what the amp can produce, and on the speaker side, it's what it can handle. Peak power is pure bs, don't bother looking at that. In all honesty, the speakers will be able to handle what both of your amp choices produce.
      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Very interested in how this turns out.
        I have friends who are EOD bro.

That's awesome. I have friends who make coffee for a living, but you don't see me rocking out a bunch of lattes

Comment

You have no need to spend all that money on the LC8i unless you intend to keep the stock deck in the dash.

You can use 2 of the JL RLCs: one for sub, one for main "global" volume.

and I do recommend either running rear speakers OR 6.5" in the doors. The E30 just sounds "thin" with just the 5.25" up front

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by ADlBOO View Post
            Very interested in how this turns out.
            There have been a few done on the board and I have done a couple. I was shocked at how good "Dark Wing" (Derek) car came out, the sound was awesome.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
              You have no need to spend all that money on the LC8i unless you intend to keep the stock deck in the dash.

You can use 2 of the JL RLCs: one for sub, one for main "global" volume.

and I do recommend either running rear speakers OR 6.5" in the doors. The E30 just sounds "thin" with just the 5.25" up front

Luke
              I actually already picked up the lc8i so I'm planning on running that. I got a great deal on it, I paid under $100 for it brand new so I'm happy with that. Any input on the 5.25" infinity components front and rear?

Comment

im gonna follow this, as it is somehting i am very interestd in doing.
                good luck!

Comment

Should be fine. Installation and tuning have more of an effect on the outcome than the equipment anyways.

Comment

Just watch that iPod cable...I have one with charging capabilities and it introduced a ton of noise on the audio input (mine is a different brand though). Had to disconnect the charging function to make the noise go away.
                    - Greg
                    α Team Founding Member
                    1984 BMW 325 Henna Rot - Sarah -Uber project
                    2011 BMW 335d LeMans Blau - Daily Diesel Torque monster

Comment

Originally posted by gergpez View Post
                      Just watch that iPod cable...I have one with charging capabilities and it introduced a ton of noise on the audio input (mine is a different brand though). Had to disconnect the charging function to make the noise go away.
                      Good to know, thanks! If I set everything up and I have noise I'll know where to start looking!

Comment

Originally posted by bubbajan21 View Post
                        I actually already picked up the lc8i so I'm planning on running that. I got a great deal on it, I paid under $100 for it brand new so I'm happy with that. Any input on the 5.25" infinity components front and rear?
                        Score! That is cheaper than I can get them, and I am a dealer!

Anyway, you should not have any noise issues with that setup. I have done several of those exact same pieces...you really should get a stock deck in the dash, BTW...and they have never caused me grief. It will blow your mind for SQ.

The Infinitys are actually pretty nice. The big fat surround means a little more cone area, but it also means they are a pain to install properly. You have to make sure you are leaving room for cone movement, so a couple of nuts under the head of the mounting screws to push the trim panel out like 5mm or so is fine. The only hassle is getting the "4th screw" to have a spacer, and that one MUST be spaced off the speaker or I promise shit sound and very quickly blown speaker.

Set the high pass on the amp to about 120Hz or so and if you are gonna use only the one pair, bridge the 4 channels to 2. If you have questions, R3v will answer them, ya?

However, my official stance is this: if you are gonna run front only, the stock location is inadequate. I have knocked myself out on this for many many years...think how many systems I have done in these stupid cars since 1984...the stock location could be made adequate (built out) IF the glovebox were on sliders...but that is a whole 'nother story.

If you are not gonna do something crazy in one way or another, run 4 speakers. The E30 needs cone area more than anything, and that stupid little cubby makes for shitty midbass, it is just too small.

Fortunately, the boxes I build make up for a lot of this "tinniness" with solid punch. Most everyone loves the midbass when set up as I describe below:

Set your high pass to roughly 120Hz, maybe 100Hz in the rear. Set the front to half way up, the rear about 20% less...if half is noon, call it 10:30. Set the sub level to about 90%, turn the subsonic filter all the way down, turn the bass boost completely off and set your low pass to roughly 80Hz.

The audiocontrol piece should be set about halfway to start with, right on the detents. You may wish a bit more gain, use the gains on the audiocontrol.

Let me know if I can help.

Luke

Oh, for everyone following this...I do have boxes in stock, hint hint

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          you really should get a stock deck in the dash, BTW...and they have never caused me grief. It will blow your mind for SQ.
                          Hold the phone, I've been trying to design an ipod friendly interface around the stock deck and I've been encountering alot of limitations (personal knowledge base mostly). Could you elaborate? I'd love to basically have something similar to this setup but using the principles of your 500 dollar system (amplified stock premium speakers).

Comment

Originally posted by robo_trigger View Post
                            Hold the phone, I've been trying to design an ipod friendly interface around the stock deck and I've been encountering alot of limitations (personal knowledge base mostly). Could you elaborate? I'd love to basically have something similar to this setup but using the principles of your 500 dollar system (amplified stock premium speakers).
                            The audio control LC8i will take the outputs from the stock deck and also has an aux input and then the audio control unit will connect to your amp. Through the included knob, you can switch between the aux input (iPod) and your main input (stock head unit) and you will be able to control volume as well as separate sub level. It's a very clean solution, but a bit pricy.

So I guess the final question I have is which amp I should get considering the kenwood will cost me $75 more than the planet audio.

Comment

To luke and everyone else, thank you so much for all of the input and help, I very much appreciate it. The install of this system will happen in mid-April, I'm preparing for an M-tech 2 kit and a respray at the moment so that will happen at the end of march and this is the next thing on my list. I will post back here with tons of pictures, feedback, and documentation when it's complete!

Comment

Working...
                              X