Car won't go into boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car won't go into boost?

Hey guys I have been having issues with my turbo M20 where it won't go into boost. I have done a boost leak test and didn't find any leaks. I had a horrible exhaust leak and figured out my tial 44mm wastegate didn't have a valve seat. So tonight I installed the new valve seat got all of the lines hooked up and took it out praying that I had found the problem......not so much. The car still won't go into boost? The car pegs at 0 and then does nothing but makes a weird almost supercharger wine sound? I know people will tell me datalogs which I have plenty of if you would like me to post but I can't see where the problem is. I am also having cold start issues if someone would like to help me with that. My setup is:

HX35 Turbo internal wastegate welded closed
    Racing Parts Solutions 50mm BOV
    Tial 44mm Wastegate
    3" Exhaust
    MS2 with wasted spark
    42lbs injectors

And pics because bitches love pics
    Pre Turbo

Partially Finished (not all the vacuum lines are hooked up in the pic they are now)

Any insight would be appreciated

Thank you

-John
    1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
    COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Check bov? Supercharger sound reminds me of a friends old srt that had a bad bov.
    Also, is the impeller spinning freely?

Comment

BOV is new but I will check it out and yes I rebuilt the turbo before I installed it
      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933

Comment

Check list:
        Vacuum leak unoticed
        Wastegate stuck open
        Bov stuck open
        Clogged intercooler(rag?)

The whine could be you over working the turbine, spinning and such, but your supposed pressurized air is just leaking out somewhere.
        That would probably mean your wastegate is fine though.

Do you have a screamer pipe on the WG?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I just installed a new valve seat in the wastegate. The wastegate is currently just dumping straight down (no pipe) I'm thinking that the whine is the turbine over working. I'm going to do another vacuum leak test and hope to uncover something there

Comment

check to see if the compressor is spinning freely? sometimes when the comp housing is removed and reinstalled it goes on crookedy and fucks shit up

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
            PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

AFR's?

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

If you're sure the wastegates are closed, then I'm with the idea that you have a massive boost leak somewhere.
                '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The turbo does spin freely but from the sound of it I believe it is blown I have another rebuild kit on the way and hopefully my issue is solved? My AFRs are stupid rich due to the lack of boost. I can post up a datalog if you would like

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                    Thanks for the replies. The turbo does spin freely but from the sound of it I believe it is blown I have another rebuild kit on the way and hopefully my issue is solved? My AFRs are stupid rich due to the lack of boost. I can post up a datalog if you would like

Just because you're not boosting does not mean that your car will run super rich; thats not how MS works. Post up your log and your timing etc. What spark-plugs are you running? Go get a dozen(12) of them. You will need NGK-BPR7ES. I say 12 because your ones in your head now are fouled. Put a new set in and tune the car. While tuning they could also foul out, once properly tuned place in the new plugs and enjoy the boost. Are you running a MLS or ARP's or anything to protect the head? How much boost are you attempting to run? Are you positive all of your vacuum lines are PROPERLY hooked up?
                    Last edited by TC|Photography; 03-06-2013, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC|Photography View Post
                      Just because you're not boosting does not mean that your car will run super rich; thats not how MS works. Post up your log and your timing etc. What spark-plugs are you running? Go get a dozen(12) of them. You will need NGK-BPR7ES. I say 12 because your ones in your head now are fouled. Put a new set in and tune the car. While tuning they could also foul out, once properly tuned place in the new plugs and enjoy the boost. Are you running a MLS or ARP's or anything to protect the head? How much boost are you attempting to run? Are you positive all of your vacuum lines are PROPERLY hooked up?
                      edit nvm misunderstood ya for a sec

Anyway like I said on the tech man your turbo is shot, I had this issue same odd sound and everything.
                      Last edited by travish325; 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
                        lol wut?

If you are running fuel maps for boost and you are not making boost yes you will run super rich, post helpful stuff not just useless jibber jabber to try and sound smart.

Anyway like I said on the tech man your turbo is shot, I had this issue same odd sound and everything.
                        Which part was useless jibber jabber? what I posted was 99% true. And MS also reads air flow. I am running a MBC that allows me to adjust boost from 7-20 PSI. If MS was based on a map then every time I adjusted my boost controller I'd have to adjust my map? Megasquirt reads air flow, if their was no boost(not an increase in air flow) why would the fuel still enrich?

Comment

Originally posted by travish325 View Post
                          lol wut?

If you are running fuel maps for boost and you are not making boost yes you will run super rich, post helpful stuff not just useless jibber jabber to try and sound smart.

If he's not exceeding 100kpa, how would mega squirt access the richer parts of the fuel map?
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Magic.

Ive had this same issue, Maybe the ms was acting up or the tune was bad but it ran pig rich up close to boost fuel maps
                            Last edited by travish325; 03-06-2013, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC|Photography View Post
                              Which part was useless jibber jabber? what I posted was 99% true. And MS also reads air flow. I am running a MBC that allows me to adjust boost from 7-20 PSI. If MS was based on a map then every time I adjusted my boost controller I'd have to adjust my map? Megasquirt reads air flow, if their was no boost(not an increase in air flow) why would the fuel still enrich?

Ms is based on map.
                              Are you talking maf, or actual fuel maps and not manifold air pressure?
                              Last edited by travish325; 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X