Turbo build 1986 325es May 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo build 1986 325es May 2013

We did a lot of work on my NA m20, smoothed out the 885 head, increased the compression a little, built the short block, balanced it etc. Installed headers and Megasquirt.

It ran great but I want more.

Here is a video of the restoration (I brought the car in from California with 250,000 miles on it) with the Nat. Asp. engine:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

short run (NA):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

another run:

So, now it is time for a turbo.

OBX headers did not fit so we cut them and will weld an insert so we have a perfect fit and seal.

New Holset H1c, it looks like a nice little turbo which I hope with give me excellent power and yet keep it a nice daily driver.

The oil return line connection is welded into the pan.

More info as we make progress
    Click image for larger version

Name:	626.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	7233337

Name:	627.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	7233338

Name:	628.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	7233339
    Chuck

Below is the intercooler being installed. Japanese Yonaka 18x9x2.5" with 2.5" piping. Very well made. I spent a lot of time looking for an intercooler and was lucky to find this jewel. The 9" height fills up the open space you get with a 6 or 7" high cooler plus this one is 1" shorter in overall length. The piping kit that I bought was kind of a joke........ way, way to many tubes. I could have bought a few pieces instead. I am able to keep my oil cooler, air conditioning etc.
    Chuck

Huge setback!
    September 2013

We got the car running and it is a real screamer. We keep the tune conservative with a rich mixture and not to much advance so I was looking forward to how it would run with a fine tune. After a short time the engine just did not run right, poor idle and erratic. I noticed that I was using gas like there was no tomorrow. To add insult to injury, the car started to smoke horribly with blue smoke. Due to the poor idle and the smoke, I pulled the plugs to do a compression check. When I turned it over to check #1, gas sprayed out of #6!
    Sure enough, the #6 injector was stuck open! I guessed that I had broken a piston or who knows what. We checked some more and found the turbo's shaft was sloppy (a brand new Holset). So, I ordered new bushings and will install them tomorrow.

I wonder if the contaminated oil (gas) caused the turbo to wear out or what? Any recommendation for the size of the oil restrictor?

Chuck
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chuckcruzin1986; 09-09-2013, 03:27 AM.

Looks like a good start! I had to do the same thing to my obx manifold works great now though
    1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
    COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Good luck!

Double check the housing of the turbo to avoid late spool

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

I don't understand

Originally posted by sayed ali View Post
        Good luck!

Double check the housing of the turbo to avoid late spool
        Please explain in detail
        Thanks,
        Chuck

Comment

I think that there are two types, "smaller" and "bigger" H1c

Some people have had problems (late spool) with the big one,

Anyway, it depends on your engine compression, manifold, etc...

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

looks like you have the larger h1c with the 18 housing. i have the same one
            "I came into this world, not chiefly to make this a good place to live in, but to live in it, be it good or bad" -Henry Thoreau-
            1991 318is - the cruiser
            1989 325i - the rats nest

Comment

I think the turbo is the small one...???

Originally posted by mrmckie View Post
              looks like you have the larger h1c with the 18 housing. i have the same one

Please correct me if I am wrong.
              Chuck

Comment

Resonator built for my turbo build

3" down pipe, 2" waste gate dump tube going into one custom built resonator. I had wanted to photograph the inside but my welder got ahead of me and sealed it shut. I put a few baffles inside. 2 - 2" outlets which will eventually go to a rear muffler (possibly custom built by me). 18 gage 304 which is fairly light. I am not sure if this resonator will make noise but if it does I will do something about it.

Chuck
                Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. May have been a little more productive to use that time and money towards a better manifold.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                  My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Got the motor running

Tuning next week and the exhaust system from custom resonator back.

Comment

I run a OBX manifold, just make sure the flanges are flat so you don't get leaks. It will hold up fine. Very clean car my friend.
                      84 318, 86 325ES, 85 325E. 89 325IS,
                      89 BMW 325is Turbo - 8.02@85mph 1/8th

90 VW Golf, 01 VW TDI Jetta
                      98 VW GTI VR6 - 11.679@117.58mph Timeslip
                      96 VW GTI VR6 - 7.63@97mph

www.lugtronic.com

Comment

Resonator build = failure

Originally posted by Chuckcruzin1986 View Post
                        3" down pipe, 2" waste gate dump tube going into one custom built resonator. I had wanted to photograph the inside but my welder got ahead of me and sealed it shut. I put a few baffles inside. 2 - 2" outlets which will eventually go to a rear muffler (possibly custom built by me). 18 gage 304 which is fairly light. I am not sure if this resonator will make noise but if it does I will do something about it.

Chuck
                        I finally got the car running and it really pulls :D

Big problem: The car is too loud for my taste so we cut the resonator open and will line the wall with a few layers of fiberglass and weld in the perforated tubes. The Perforated tubes will be capped off.

If any "muffler boys" have any better ideas, please post them. I have a little time left.

Chuck
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X