K24 e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K24 e30

Ok, first post here. I'm building a k24 swapped E30. It started as a 87 325, I got it as a roller. The previous owner pulled the m20 to do a sr20 swap. The original plan was to put my built vag 1.8t into it. Then I picked up a k24 for less than a song, do I went that route. I got a Nissan z32 turbo 5 speed gear box. So I built an adapter plate to connect the two of those. Uses a factory k20a2 flywheel and a stock dimension pressure plate. After about a week of searching I found an off the shelf pilot bearing for it. The k series started is mounted on the block so that was easy. I pulled the head and freshened that up, new stem seals, etc. dropped in some vtec killer rockers with k20a2 springs and retainers along with some z1 cams. I started building mock up mounts and got the engine positioned where I liked it and decided to build a chromoly front crossmember and controll arms. The crossmember is about 75% done and the arms are tacked up. Going to put an e28 rear crossmember in it and run the e36 front 5 lug knuckles. The gear box fits decent after a little bit of hammer love. Will be a 1 piece driveshaft and majorly modded shift linkage. I'll post done pics of the progress so far when I get home in front of a real computer. Let me know what you guys think!
    Joel.
    $4000 worth of wheels to look cool in a parking lot? What the hell is wrong with him? - My old boss

Paragraph spacing would help. I'm interested.

Any reason you didn't use an AW6 (IIRC???)

I'd love the sound of a big bore k24 with ITB's underhood, and light and powerful too boot. I think an AU/NZ guy has one built to the 250/280ish HP range.

Comment

Do want!!!

Comment

The AY6 is a nice trans, I've just used the z32 box in other applications and it's just my preference. This one will be boosted. Expecting 450-500 rwhp from experience on similar builds. The s2k box needs an adapter and it doesn't hold power very well when beat on.

Sorry about the gigantic run on paragraph, my phone freezes if I take up too much space.
        Last edited by Slowgti; 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM.
        $4000 worth of wheels to look cool in a parking lot? What the hell is wrong with him? - My old boss

Comment

Quick link to some cell phone pics

Comment

Quick link to some cell phone pics

Comment

That front member is pretty awesome. Can't wait to see how this cones out.

Where in Atlanta are you?
              1991 335is in progress

Comment

The front crossmember is pretty cool. Adjustable camber, caster, wheel base and track width. I'm going to build some anti dive adjusters into it also. It weighs so much less than the factory setup. I'm guessing 15 lbs or so, I'll try to weigh it soon. I just picked up all the fittings for the turbo manifold last night also. Progress at last!

I'm east of Atlanta, about 35 mins from Atlanta.

Comment

Sick front crossmember! I want to do a K24/K20A hybrid swap one of these days. Built engines I recall put out around 280 - 300 whp, which to duplicate with a BMW S14 would cost you $20K.

Any shots of the bellhousing adapter?

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

The bell adapter is just a hand cut prototype right now, I am going to digitize it and get one cut on the water jet. I'll take a pic or two when I pull the motor again.

260-270 whp is doable on stock parts. 300+ is not very hard to get from these motors. I'm planning on building sleeved block once I get the chassis/suspension sorted. I'm building a T4 divided manifold for it so it would be fun to run a 68-70mm turbo and run at the ecta.

Comment

Bump, any interest in an adapter for the k20/24 to the stock getrag? Mounts and an oil pan would be included.

Comment

You mean like a Getrag 260 from an E30 325i? I honestly think the best adapter for a BMW transmission would be one for a Getrag 250, as it has the same bell housing pattern all the way to the current ZF 5 and 6 speed transmissions. It also has the same input shaft length.

I'm definitely interested, especially in a bellhousing adapter.

EDIT: I did some research and saw that the starter on the K24 bolts to the engine block, and the bellhousing adapter just needs to place the transmission input shaft in relation to the crankshaft/flywheel.
                        Last edited by FredK; 08-11-2013, 01:39 PM. Reason: Joined k20a.org and did some searching

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Fredk: the bell adapter can be built for either trans. I actually just ordered a pilot bearing to get started. It will use a factory k20/24 starter and flywheel and pressure plate. Just a custom disk, the throw out bearing spacing will be included once I find something suitable and off the shelf.

I design hvac systems for a living so you can imagine how busy I have been the past few months. Once the weather cools down I will have more time to work on it.

Comment

Looks like you're going to get quite a bit of caster change with that front control arm design. Have you done any geometry plots with it?

And what are you doing about engine oiling? Will there be any issues with having the engine spun 90 degrees?

Cool swap, I'll be watching for updates.
                            Byron
                            Leichtbau

Comment

The caster change isn't as drastic as it looks. I have it mapped on paper, nothing digital yet. It changes less than the stock setup though. I've been trying to find a good scale to weigh it. I want a solid number on weight and redesign as nessacery. The goal it twice the rigidity, half the weight and adjustability.

I'm trying to get my street E30 done before I start fabbing strut towers for the rear on the K swapped car.

Does anybody have any fender flares for sale? Nothing crazy just 1-1 1/2 insches over for my street car.

Comment

Working...
                              X