X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - Aux in for mp3 music on OEM radios

Hey there,

regarding music in our e30s there is usually only one choice to make:
    Install an original radio and live with poor sound quality and cassettedeck or install a newer radio with "bling bling", blue lights and shiny surfaces.

There is a solution for this! ;)

Nearly every original BMW Radio with a cassette deck can be rebuild with an aux in and a 3.5mm plug to play music from your mobile or any other mp3 music source.

Its quite easy, you need a soldering bolt, a normal cable with a 3.5mm plug and no fear to destroy your radio :o (Belive me, they really stand a lot ).

I will begin with one of the easiest radios and add other types continuosly.

I hope the pic host will work for you ...

Lets begin with a Reverse RDS from an e36. Its not one of the best OEM radios but cheap and (at least in Germany) easy to find.

First you need to get cable inside the radio. Usually I'm just drilling a hole on the backside. Here theres no space fot this, so I saw two lines and bowed the metal. Second is to drill a hole to get the cable on the other side of the board.

Next is to connect the pins to the board. Get the cable on the backside of the board (before inserting the cable into the radio, cut of whatever is on the other side of the cable ...). Cut the cable to have 3 wires:

- red = right audio signal
    - white = left audio signal
    - ground/shielding

Its always like that unless you have some interesting chinese cable stuff (I will come to that later on :p)

Sold these 3 wires to the board like in this picture:

For ground you can also use the area marked red.

There is also a chance to make a line out to install an external emplifier. For that use the yellow pins on the right. From top-down its:

left front LF
    left rear LR
    right rear RR
    right front RF

Do use the yellow ones, the red pins marked there dont work!
    Usually I'm using a normal chinch cable to apply the line out. Dont forget to sold the shielding to radio ground, too!

If you want to keep your cassette deck, you are already finished now. If you are like 98% of all other people around and dont own cassettes any more, you have to switch back to the topside.

What we have done, is to sold the mp3 signal on the signal that comes from the cassette deck. So if you want to hear mp3 music, the radio must be in cassette mode. You can do this either by playing a cassette every time you want to listen to mp3 - the mp3 signal is superior to the cassette signal, so the cassette can be recorded - or switching of the cassette deck.

Stake out the plug you see in the next pic and cut of the blue cable. This cable must be solded to ground. I simply use the radio chassis marked red here.

Now the cassette deck is hosed. You can easily switch between radio and mp3 by clicking the "TAPE" button. The display shows Tape 1 or Tape 2 but plays mp3 music in perfect quality that cant be reached by aux in cassettes or fm modulators or other stuff like that!

Thats the way it works:

There are plenty of OEM radios that can be modified like that:

- Bavaria C
    - Bavaria C II
    - Bavaria C II Reverse
    - Bavaria C Business RDS
    - Business RDS
    - Bavaria C Professional RDS
    - Professional RDS
    - Reverse
    - Reverse RDS
    - Business CD
    - Blaupunkt Heidelberg

and so on ....

The Reverse RSD shown above is the most simplest to modify. Some others are more difficult and with some you still need a cassette... I have pictures from each of them, but not with every single step.

I will add other radio models the next days. Feel free to ask questions!!!

Greetings,

Phil

good stuff! i need to do this.

Comment

I am interested about the "blue wire" part for the stock e30 decks. Can those be done the same way?
      HE>i
      89 335i m30 power, 4hp22 delivery

Comment

I tried this on my standard e30 deck and it didn't work. It spits my blank tape out every time.
        "I wanna see da boat movie"
        "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

That's a problem with your tape mechanism then.

I have done two aux inputs to stock decks and they both work fine.
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Sorry for not answering here...

I figured out, that there are different stock radios in the US than here in Germany. So it seems it doesn't help you to much what I wrote above.

The usual US stock radios are very rare here in Europe, so I'm sorry but I can't try it on these ...

Comment

If i send you some US stock radios do you think you can make it work?

Comment

Great write up! Been wanting to do this to my stock deck since my tape deck stopped allowing me to use an adapter.
                Swanny!
                SUCKERS.

Comment

I did the same thing to my E46 radio and thought that maybe I could do the same to the E30 radio I have which is for sale. If I get around to it before it sells I'll keep it of course, if not then I'll just bu another later to do this mod and keep the inside of the E30 more OEM looking instead of having the ugly silver cd player currently in there.

Good job OP.
                  sigpic
                  Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Thank you for this awesome tutorial! I tried it with my standard e30 deck and it works fine. Now I really enjoy the music. Thanks again. :)
                    Life is like a box of chocolates

Comment

Thank you for this awesome tutorial! I tried it with my standard e30 deck and it works fine. Now I really enjoy the music. Thanks again.
                      Life is like a box of chocolates

Comment

There is a 2nd option. I went to a local car audio shop and had a FM Modulator installed into my stock radio. Cost about $100 for everything but plugs into the bottom of my iPhone so it also charges. FM Modulator creates a direct radio signal to your car so there is zero static, sounds just like an aux input.

Comment

Working...
                        X