Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there no forum like r3v? Need help with e46..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is there no forum like r3v? Need help with e46..

Well, I tried e46fanatics and bimmerforums and it seems that everyone replies with unsure answers. Not to mention there is not nearly as much traffic as r3v has so replies are scarce. Figured I'd give it a shot here. I'm hoping some e46 geniuses can chime in here and give me some insight on where to start looking. Here is a repasta from my original thread:

I have been trying to figure this out for a while now ever since I bought this car. When I first bought it, the key would not unlock the doors or lock them. Later after researching, I found that there is a module for the antenna that also works in conjunction with the keyless entry, which I replaced and everything was working fine. Then emissions came up and I took it expecting it to pass with flying colors, since the car runs brilliantly with zero hiccups, etc. Unfortunately, they could not connect to the OBDII port, for which I then took the car to the dealer to get it looked at and those dumbasses told me everything is fine and the OBDII port is fine. Today I went to meet with a emissions rep to have him look at my car and he connected a generic OBD scanner, but to no avail. It wasn't receiving any power from the port. I have checked the fuses and they are fine. It has me thinking maybe there are deeper issues with the electronics, which has me quite worried. Anybody know any tests that I can do, i.e. multimeter, etc., to narrow down this issue and fix myself without having to take it back to those monkeys at the stealership? Thanks for helping!

Cliffs:
    Took car to emissions, failed due to computer unable to communicate with car OBD-II.
    Emissions rep tried connecting generic OBD-II scanner, would not power on or communicate at all.
    Checked OBD-II fuses and cig lighter fuse, both are good.
    Tested for voltage at pins 1 & 16, both were good.
    Connects to BMWScanner v1.4 perfectly.
    Will not connect to any OBD-II scanner.

It is a 2002 325i (facelift)
    Last edited by gtdragon980; 11-05-2013, 09:17 AM. Reason: Cliffnotes

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
    Originally posted by scabzzzz
    I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
    1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
    2002 325i - DD
    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

find a pin out diagram for the obd2 port, find out which wires do what and test for voltage, most likely its just a wire or a pin got marred up or torn. pull the plug off of the dash (two 10mm bolts i think, though they may be tamper proof) and take a good hard look at the wires on the back of it.

diagram can be found here http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectroni...c_pinout.shtml

pins 1 and 16 should both have 12v to them, if they do not back trace the wires and find out why, make sure the wires are good first then suspect what ever components are in charge of the output (keyed switch, ecu, ect...)

and use a multi-meter on VOLTAGE only DO NOT i repeat DO NOT probe the harness side of any car with an ohm meter (i have done it not realizing my meter got bumped from voltage to ohms and it fried an ecu on a honda)
    BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

Comment

zhpmafia

google it

Comment

Car has to be on and running for scanner to work

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
          Car has to be on and running for scanner to work
          not true. Key has to be on, not car.
          sigpic
          Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Because BMW owners aren't snobs...

A BMW 3 series forum for those who drive the BMW ZHP 330, also known as the BMW E46 330 with BMW Performance Package, which comes in coupe, convertible and sedan. This is a BMW ZHP 330 Forum for owners and enthusiasts looking for service, maintenance, and repair tips as well.

lololololololololol
            1991 318i SOLD
            2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Wait. Isn't it because most e46 owners are more interested in talking about how much they spent to have their cars built than building their cars themselves?
              Yours truly,
              Rich
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Rigmaster
              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

I feel for ya! I bought the 330ci and jumped in both of them to try to learn more about the cars.

If it is not an M3 or you are not talking about rims or coilovers there is not much there.

I was trying to find out about the bimmer brakes headers and no luck. The guy does not even have a contact phone number to ask questions about them too.

Zhpmafia is blocked for new members even if you have a zhp car.
                seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by gtdragon980 View Post
                  Well, I tried e46fanatics...and it seems there is not nearly as much traffic as r3v has so replies are scarce.
                  for realz???

R3V: Threads: 239,797, Posts: 3,639,866, Members: 44,321 Currently Active Users: 348 (187 members and 161 guests)
                  e46: Threads 1,168,105, Posts: 17,949,991, Members: 287,752 Currently Active Users: 2476 (615 members and 1861 guests)

I've been a member at e46fanatics since 2006. Great site, tons and tons of info and diy's.

I can't help you with your problem, but I'm sure if there is an answer, you can find it through e46fanatics.
                  1991 318is sold!
                  1989 325=track car--S52'd
                  Durango R/T for towing.
                  >>>Build thread<<<
                  M235i daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by camshaftgsxr View Post
                    find a pin out diagram for the obd2 port, find out which wires do what and test for voltage, most likely its just a wire or a pin got marred up or torn. pull the plug off of the dash (two 10mm bolts i think, though they may be tamper proof) and take a good hard look at the wires on the back of it.

diagram can be found here http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectroni...c_pinout.shtml

pins 1 and 16 should both have 12v to them, if they do not back trace the wires and find out why, make sure the wires are good first then suspect what ever components are in charge of the output (keyed switch, ecu, ect...)

and use a multi-meter on VOLTAGE only DO NOT i repeat DO NOT probe the harness side of any car with an ohm meter (i have done it not realizing my meter got bumped from voltage to ohms and it fried an ecu on a honda)
                    Now that is a response I was looking for!! Thanks, I'll give it a shot when I get a chance.
                    Originally posted by unevolved View Post
                    Because BMW owners aren't snobs...

A BMW 3 series forum for those who drive the BMW ZHP 330, also known as the BMW E46 330 with BMW Performance Package, which comes in coupe, convertible and sedan. This is a BMW ZHP 330 Forum for owners and enthusiasts looking for service, maintenance, and repair tips as well.

lololololololololol
                    Wow, I didn't think a forum would be so up tight on bringing new members in!
                    Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                    Wait. Isn't it because most e46 owners are more interested in talking about how much they spent to have their cars built than building their cars themselves?
                    Haha so true!! Most builds I see on there has been done by a shop. It is a nice forum but I really don't think they get down and dirty when it comes to working on their cars.
                    Originally posted by der affe View Post
                    I feel for ya! I bought the 330ci and jumped in both of them to try to learn more about the cars.

If it is not an M3 or you are not talking about rims or coilovers there is not much there.

I was trying to find out about the bimmer brakes headers and no luck. The guy does not even have a contact phone number to ask questions about them too.

Zhpmafia is blocked for new members even if you have a zhp car.
                    Yeah, it really is just drop, wheels, zhp bumpers. Then the more intense builds are done by shops. haha
                    Originally posted by Spitfi-r View Post
                    for realz???

R3V: Threads: 239,797, Posts: 3,639,866, Members: 44,321 Currently Active Users: 348 (187 members and 161 guests)
                    e46: Threads 1,168,105, Posts: 17,949,991, Members: 287,752 Currently Active Users: 2476 (615 members and 1861 guests)

I've been a member at e46fanatics since 2006. Great site, tons and tons of info and diy's.

I can't help you with your problem, but I'm sure if there is an answer, you can find it through e46fanatics.
                    Well maybe I didn't look at the actual stats....:giggle::giggle:

But in all seriousness, you post a thread on there and you get like one or two answers, which are mostly just someone explaining that they have no idea what the problem is or telling to you reset the ecu. On r3v, you post something and you are guaranteed to get multiple well thought out responses. Depending on how and what you are asking lol

I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                    2002 325i - DD
                    2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                      ^Sad but true. I inquired about putting ITBs on a cammed M54 and it was unbelievable the amount of flack I got. "You cant do it. Its impossible" People over on R3v have balls to build some crazy shit, and I love it. High compression 2.9l M50s, Oversquare M5x motors using M50 double valve spring head with a 2.8l m52 crank with s52 block and pistons. AND the rest of the community will back you up.

I'm done with E46 fanatics. They can be real dicks. They often tell new members looking for advice with their E46 to sell their car and get something else. I've never been on another forum where more time is spent complaining about the car that the forum is dedicated to. Its hilarious. R3V is a much better community by far.
                      Last edited by totheredline; 07-23-2013, 08:01 AM.
                      = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

if the original key doesn't work, they may have put an aftermarket alarm on it and removed it before sale.

Like said, trace all your wires. look for wire taps and splices.

Comment

Well after a long time of forgetting to test the OBD-II port, with my next appointment at the emissions station around the corner, I finally got to it. Both pins 1 and 16 have power to them. I am still thinking that the computers at the MVA are some shit. At the same time, it doesn't make sense why a generic OBD-II scanner wouldn't pick up the signal from my car. Anyone have any idea what to check next? The fuses were good last time I checked, especially since I am getting power to the connector.

Edit: Tried another generic OBD-II scanner at advance auto parts and still no luck. I cannot figure out why this damn car will not connect to these fucking scanners!!!
                          Last edited by gtdragon980; 11-04-2013, 04:44 PM.

2002 325i - DD
                          2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Have you tested the grounds and signal pins? make sure battery is disconnected when test this. just a thought.
                            sigpic
                            327is
                            325es
                            325es
                            318is
                            Fiesta ST
                            E46 M3

Comment

This is just one of the 1000's of reason's i have not purchased an e46.
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Working...
                              X