From UT to CA my Slicktop S50 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From UT to CA my Slicktop S50 build

First off I want to thank my friend Nikko for finding these cars and passing along the good deal to me. Even though a cheap swap turned into a very expensive build.

Little background: I have been building cars/crawlers/trucks for quite a few years now, mostly in the VW Audi community. I previously built an E30 with the intent of going SpecE30, but with my distain for rules I quickly realized I wasn’t going to fit in well there. I decided I needed a new project that released a bit more power and allowed me to play with the suspension a bit more than Spec allows.

One of my best friends found this little gem of an E30 sitting in Utah.

1991 318is Slicktop: Not running.

I replaced the fuel pump and she was off zipping around with massive oil and vacuum leaks.

I drove it a total of the 10 miles to a friend’s shop to yank the motor.

The Donner: 1992 325is M50NV 5speed- Needed a new battery

I initially was going to go the route of just tossing that motor in and having an ultra cheap swapped E30 slicktop. I quickly decided that was not going to make me happy in the power department.

The pulling of the motors!

The girlfriend wondering why I always take on the random last minute projects.

The Motor and E30 chassis were graciously transported half way to me out here in California. I picked it all up in Las Vegas and got it back to CA to get the build started.

I initially was trying to find ways to releasing more power from the M50NV and as many of you have found out the biggest problem with modifying those is the lack of tuning availability.
    As I slowly progressed and made decisions on what to do and what I was going to do, I kept stumbling upon good deals on the parts I wanted.

The Build turned out something like this….

The Motor:
    • M50NV block Bored over to 86mm and honed
    • JE 11.5:1 Pistons, rings and pins
    • S50 Connecting Rods
    • New Bearings
    • S50 crankshaft
    • S50 camshafts
    • Ported exhaust
    • Vanos was added to the head
    • Vanos was rebuilt with the rattle shim and the S52 spring plates
    • Bosh 24lb injectors
    • 3.5in. Throttle body from a 540i with adaptor plate and custom linkage
    • 3.5 Custom Intake
    • 3.5 MAF 800p/n
    • Turner chip for injectors and HFM
    • Headers back to a 3in. back exhaust
    o Ebay long tube replica headers (very surprised by the nicer quality for the cost)
    o Vibrant 2 to 1 accumulator
    o Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator
    o Vibrant Muffler
    • F1 Stage 2 Clutch
    • F1 Chromoly Solid Flywheel
    • All new sensors and lines (coolant, fuel and re routed p/s lines)

Chassis:
    While the motor was out I decided I needed to clean up the engine bay a bit.
    This was accomplished by:
    • Deleting the ABS created new hard lines
    • Installed a new 25mm E30 M3 master cylinder
    • Relocated the Brake Booster .5in. to the right
    • Relocated the wire harness through the fender well and ran it through the frame rail
    • Deleting the SRS airbag system
    • Engine sub-frame was reinforced with motor mount and sway-bar brackets
    • E34 motor mounts
    • AKG Poly Trans Mounts
    • Cut and welded 318 shift support arm (to center the shifter)
    • All Derlin mounts for shifter
    • UUC DSSR

Steering:
    • E36 rack from donor car new outer tie rod ends
    • Steering rack spacers (this thing will see the drift track every once in a while)
    • AKG E36 rack adaptor spacers
    • AKG Polyurethane steering disk
    • Slotted the fire wall so the steering shaft would not wear on it

Suspension:
    Undecided at the moment a few things to start
    • IE Springs
    • Treehouse CAB
    • Billy Sport Front shocks
    • ??? Not sure how much to spend at the moment.

Well this is where I am at now… Motor is in and Running. Engine bay shots to come shortly.
    Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=310912

Comment

She's cute

Comment

Originally posted by justin_l_ View Post
        She's cute
        She is cuter when she is getting greasy working on the cars :o

Comment

What throttle cable are you using with that 740/540 throttle body? I have a few of those plates and throttle bodys and bored the manifold as well. Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
            What throttle cable are you using with that 740/540 throttle body? I have a few of those plates and throttle bodys and bored the manifold as well. Looking good!
            I ended up using the E34 525i throttle cable with the metal 90 degree bend in it with the stock 540 throttle bracket. I had to trim the bracket to fit past my dip stick, but so far the pull on it and idle all set up just fine.

Initially I was very worried it all would not work and I couldn't find anyone to ask so I just kept tinkering and managed to figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by tazer View Post
              I ended up using the E34 525i throttle cable with the metal 90 degree bend in it with the stock 540 throttle bracket. I had to trim the bracket to fit past my dip stick, but so far the pull on it and idle all set up just fine.

Initially I was very worried it all would not work and I couldn't find anyone to ask so I just kept tinkering and managed to figure it out.
              I'll have to check mine when I get home. I know were the white clip the cable mounts to I cut and 180'd and re welded for more clearance.

Comment

Wow impressive build. I like that GIF of the engine bay progress.
                91 318is M50 swapped
                05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Thanks! It's been a fun build to experiment if it would all piece together how I thought it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

S50

great job man, looks awesome

Comment

Working...
                    X