Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Finding "Lost During Shipment" Car

r3v,

It's been a long while since I posted on this forum but if there is anyone who can help me with an issue I've been having I'd really appreciate it. I recently moved from Greece to Nebraska and shipped my car, a 1988 325i, with a company called "International Auto Logistics". The car had a scheduled delivery date of 5 September, 2014 but that date has passed and I don't know where the car is. The company has a tracking website but the only information that I can get from the website is:

POV Awaiting Clearance & Inspections

IN TRANSIT

Here's how I am requesting help

1.) Has any other r3v member used this company and been able to navigate the process? This is the company used by the DoD to ship service member's cars beginning in May of 2014 (I am a USAF Captain). I cannot get anyone from IAL on the phone and although there is a Facebook group that has been helpful I would like to speak to anyone who has worked with them directly to share any tips or tricks.

2.) Is there anyone near St. Louis who would drive by the Vehicle Processing Center lot and see if my car is sitting there? That is the final destination of the vehicle and I've heard that many cars are just sitting waiting to be picked up. Here is the address:

13918 Saint Charles Rock Rd
    Bridgeton, MO

And here are some pictures of my car from the day before I shipped it:

Finally, here is an article about the company; I am not the only one having trouble with them:

A Georgia company that has a $1 billion contract to move the personal vehicles of U.S. service members who are assigned to new duty stations faces a class-action lawsuit from military personnel who claim they have gone months without their cars because of delays and mismanagement.

Anyone who is willing to help out, thank you very much!

-Eric
    sigpic

Did IAL file the import paperwork on your behalf? If they were delayed in doing so the car could end up waiting more than a month to get cleared. Or so I have heard with the new notification of arrival paperwork.

Reading this spoiled my lunch a bit, I'm waiting on my 318i which is supposed to arrive 30 Oct via Hoegh Lines with Pembroke Marine handling the US import.

Hope you get this figured out!

Comment

Daily updates of everything that you need know about what is going on in the military community and abroad including military gear and equipment, breaking news, international news and more.

A lawsuit has been filed against a DoD shipping contractor alleging more than $5 million in damages to service members who have lost vehicles shipped overseas.

And it continues. So glad I am not in logistics anymore....
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Thanks for the info! And yes roguetoaster, IAL did file the import paperwork on my behalf, so maybe that it why it is taking so long to clear.
        sigpic

Comment

Congress has an open investigation on this screwed contractor. What career field you in to get stationed in Greece? Most USAF has been out of there for years.

Have transited there a few times but we are never allowed out off the base.
          Last edited by M-technik-3; 10-13-2014, 12:45 PM.

Comment

12R3J, reconnaissance navigator. There is a small detachment there and I was lucky enough to get a one year assignment as the ADO. Definitely miss that place!
            sigpic

Comment

Looks like it cleared customs on 2 October so hopefully I get it back soon! Once I got the shipping container number the information started really flowing! For anyone in this situation, I recommend looking at the files section of the "International Auto Logistics, Reviews, Complaints and Inconveniences" Facebook page.
              sigpic

Comment

The company has done a very poor job for such a big contract. Transcar did a far better job. I can she them getting the heave to at the end of their initial contract.

Comment

I love my car, but I don't think I would want to take it overseas even for a PCS. Just too much of a headache.

Comment

Dude having my car in Crete for a year was totally worth it. Even if it comes back late and possibly damaged. I don't think I'll ever experience that kind of driving again!
                    sigpic

Comment

Great success! The car is waiting for pickup in St. Louis now. Looks like it will be about two weeks until I can get a day away from work to go pick it up, but I am very glad to be getting it back.
                      sigpic

Comment

Im a little disappointed you didnt bring it back with some euro bumps! happy to hear your car has been found though! congrats
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Help Finding "Lost During Shipment" Car

Got it back! Some front end damage, broken key, dead battery, dirty, but still my car! The company agreed to the damages and I am working with the Air Force for repairs; both quotes I got were around $1200. Overall, better condition than I thought it would be after reading about the company online.

The important part: still runs like a champ. Made the 6 hour drive home no problems.
                          sigpic

Comment

WOW! From Crete to Nebraska...that's quite the move.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

OP Funny how I mentioned we don't go to Crete often....I was there two weeks ago for an emergency divert from Turkey. Weather and Min fuel.

Needless to say the airfield manager came out and met use and boy was she mad. We didn't stay needless to say. It was a nice 22 hour day to fly a 4 hour leg from Ramstein to Incirlik.

Comment

Working...
                              X