Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e21 320/6

Hi.
    if you guys would be interested and not against reading a build thread of a father of the gods chariot, i'd be glad to document my progress over here and maybe get a few sugestions in the proces

Bought this car about a year ago from an old lady. It was her husbands, but he passed away and she decided to sell the car. It was stored in a dodgy shed for ~3 years. Imagine my surprise when it started right up once i connected the jumper cables. Yes it had rust, cracked windshield and the exhaust was pretty much gone. But e21s are freaking rare over here, let alone a 6 cylinder one. So i grabbed it and drove it home (~50miles) like it was, avoiding the cops :D

They day i bought it:

i sourced the windshield, replaced all the brake lines, fixed up the exhaust and it passed our MOT without problems. They couldn't find anything wrong with the supsension, engine etc. Here's how it looked with fresh MOT stickers on:)

So i drove it like that for a couple months during the summer, while searching for a good shop to take care of the rust. Let's just say the search wasn't very succesfull..so i said f&^ck it, bought myself a mig welder, some sheet metal and started cutting out all the rust myself :)
    Last edited by jbe21; 11-10-2014, 10:47 PM.
    my e21 build thread clickey

Good start, sure looks like a project!

Comment

Ended up cutting most of the rear panel out

Then had about 10 free hours during the weekend, so managed to finish up the taillights surounds/panel beneath them. Ended up cutting pretty much everything you see in etch primer out :mrgreen: Cutting out, bending and shaping the steel was the hardest part

found a couple of rotten areas under the bumper, hopefuly tomorrow i'll be able to patch those up

Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
      Good start, sure looks like a project!
      Thanks. Yeah, it needs a lot of work, but it'll be fun and a great experience too, so i'm excited.
      Last edited by jbe21; 11-10-2014, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Is it a 323 or a swap?
        Originally posted by IRON-E
        Yeah, you're definitely a vw

Comment

320/6. early M20b20 with 200 head and a carb on it. for now.. ;D

Comment

I r confzd. Aren't e21s m10 motors except for the 323 that came with a baby m20

Comment

Originally posted by blue plates View Post
              that would be true in the states. You guys always get screwed..e21 with m10s, e30 with diving boards, no tourings or diesels, e36 with detuned s52 engines and so on and so on :)
              Here we had 316, 318 (m10),320/6 (m20b20 with carb) and 323i (m20b23).

Comment

Originally posted by blue plates View Post
                No.

As well as the 315/316/318/318i, there was a 320i with a 2.0 M10 and a 320/6 with a 2.0 M20. There was also a 323i with an M20B23/K-Jet.

Comment

Good to know! Both of my e21s had cute little m10s.

Comment

Just realized he is in Europe and you're in Australia.. Makes sense why you have all of those cool funky models and motor combos.

Comment

Haha, yeah. But you guys got a lot more extras on basic models. I'd kill for an e21 with ac, electric windows and a set of leather recaros.

Comment

Love e21's gald to see your giving it some life!
                        Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
                        1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Welded in a new plate under the number plate spot and in the corner. Still need to gind down the welds and weld in a patch over the exhaust tip. Then i'll be all done with the rear and will be able to start on the boot floor and the shock towers.

Originally posted by Matt341 View Post
                          Love e21's gald to see your giving it some life!
                          thanks man.

Comment

Very nice man!! these engines are much better than ppl think. I have a 320/6 too, pretty much standard and it fires up no matter what at once.

Keep updates coming sir!

Comment

Fixed up the boot floor and pretty much finished the wheel well today. Grabbing a beer makes work go faster :mrgreen:
                              also dissasembled the front end, will be pulling the engine over the weekend i guess.

Originally posted by QuiqueUy View Post
                              Very nice man!! these engines are much better than ppl think. I have a 320/6 too, pretty much standard and it fires up no matter what at once.

Keep updates coming sir!
                              thanks. Yeah, they're quite good, unfortunately mine's worn out..the camshaft is toast, most of the rockers are gone. I'll probably end up building a cheap stroker (eta block+m20b20 head).

Comment

Working...
                              X