My 325ix build ..sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 325ix build ..sort of

Hey guys, I've been working on this build in another forum. Transferring the posts here, and finishing it here. As mosts "builds" it's a WIP.
    1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

I'm from the Buffalo/ Niagara Falls section of NY.. for those who are going to ask, or comment.. I'm on the exact opposite side of the state from NYC. We have grass and trees and even farms. (you'd be surprised how many times I've been asked..) "Tinkerererer" by nature, I can never seem to leave anything alone or ..*ehem* stock. I've had turbo cars, including my baby, my 1987 Dodge Shelby Lancer 2.2L turbo running 18lbs of boost. I've had trucks like my 1978 Ford Bronco with 6" of lift and some redneck junk done to the 351M.. 1987 Firebird Formula WS6 package, TPI and a 5 speed.. However I have always wanted an E30 M3 since I was young. However knowing I have Champagne taste and only (draft) beer money I figured ANY E30 would do.. Never found one to my liking, whilst cash was in hand so I've gone without for almost 20 years.

... until 8 weeks ago.

[/URL]
    [/URL]

I found this little gem on my local speed forum. The young fella thought the trans was bad because it would "violently" pop out of first gear and eventually broke the shift linkage. However he provided me with another Getrag260 and another broken linkage..
    I ended up sizing up the "other" linkage on the used transmission and made a linkage out of 1/2 inch stainless steel..

To my surprise, apparently there are two different length shift rods. So I felt first hand that "violent" kick out of first gear.. Sorta pisses you off because you all know how long it takes to change/adjust the shifter linkage when you're fat and lazy (like me) and don't drop the trans completely..
    So I made another one, little bit longer 1/4 inch or so. I had won a cheap fleabay chinese short shifter. Only because I thought the opening bid of 30 bucks was a steal and didn't seriously think I would win.. but I did. 30 bucks for a shifter? I was pleasantly surprised. I had to modify it a little bit because the jeezus clips that held it together wouldn't allow the shifter to pull back far enough to get the trans into 1st.. A little dremel action on the bushing and it was good to go.. We'll see if it holds up.

So I did a little repainting on the grill because I didn't care for the sun faded look. I also hate chrome, but I do like contrasting colors so I did a graphite gray on the vertical bars.

This is how it sits as of this morning.. I just got laid off from work so I have a lot of time to play.

So the kid I bought it from said he sold the ix rims but had another set of rims for it to sit on.. bullshit.. he took 2 wheels off and had 2 steels wheels, and told me I had to bring the pair of IX wheels back..right. As soon as he brings me 2 wheels to put on to replace them.. Now he wants 200 bucks for the other 2 wheels because the guy he was selling them to backed out... so anyway..
    This is an eyesore, but it'll give me a chance to practice my bodywork skills.

Gave it a kick.. BAM!

GREAT STUFF!!.. *sigh*
    1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

I had a crack in the flex pipe so I cut the flexible part off and sort of press fit (with a hammer) a coupling in there. I can still take the exhaust off and surprisingly it doesn't leak... Of course I've only taken a couple shakedown runs down the street, so... we'll consider this a temporary fix.

Oh and that's an o2 sensor from a 2002 Grandprix GTP 4 wire 0-1volts.. My exhaust "sniffer" says the cars runs 1000 times better.. it actually idles now, no smoke, no tears.

And holy crap I didn't get a picture of it but my favorite "option" on the car has got to be the SKi boot in the rear seats behind the armrest..
      1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

So tonight I'm taking the front end apart and repainting (rattle can) some parts.. and the hood. I hate the whole black hood look that everyone around here does.. trying to look cool but can't afford carbon fibre.. going to rustoleum bright white.. Setting the bar a little bit higher and going to try my hand at the M3 checkered flag but in 2 tones of gray.. we'll see.. I'm really not that good at painting... well, I should say I lack the patience.

Here's how far I am so far.

I guess I don't have those pictures uploaded yet.. I'll update later tonight..

Feel free to flame, laugh at, or give me a sense of direction!
        1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

..oh and yeah, if you look real close.. That IS a swastika on the hood.. WTF? I suppose it is sorta fitting, just wrong era... No I don't hate the jews
          1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

the interior is in really good shape. Is that real leather? It's in 10 times better shape than my 99 Millennia and it has almost 100K miles less on it.

No need to do the jack test. I can visually tell with 100 percent certainty that the awd does not work... No driveshaft, and the pinion moves in ways I'm not sure it was designed to.. However, I'll cross that bridge down the road. Right now I'm just getting it running 100% - front axle = 85%??? I already ran 2 stainless fuel lines and did the fuel filter.. That dried out and cracked 45 degree intake boot and then brakes will be next on the list.
            1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

I don't understand why there would be any difference between the iX fenders and regular E30. If I look under my car I can see other mounting points for the driveshaft support bearing, which mine lacks because the transfer case makes it 2 feet longer. I betcha if you had the parts, converting a reg 325 to an iX would be bolt on.. I know my wheels are different with their 0 offset, but what else.

Blasphemy - The shift boot and matching e brake cover came from a company called TopGaiters. I found 'em on Ebay, made in the U.K., 21.60 to my door, and with a 287541 rating with 100% feedback I figure it was money well spent. I had to do a little bit of work to get them to fit, but I'm 100 percent satisfied. http://www.ebay.com/usr/topgaiters?_...10.m2749.l2754

- Yoshi - yeah mine has a little transfer case that bolts to the end of the trans.. same Getrag 260 though..

As for the ski pass-through...

-grin- pretty neat huh?
              1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi
                Probably the first time I've seen proof of a factory ski pass through. Makes sense it's on an ix too.

Originally posted by Shaffer325ix
                I don't understand why there would be any difference between the iX fenders and regular E30.
                Regular fenders don't need the attachment point of the flare onto the wheel well lining. Without it, you there isn't really any place for the fasteners. At least, that's what I saw when I tried to fit the flares on my non ix.

If I look under my car I can see other mounting points for the driveshaft support bearing, which mine lacks because the transfer case makes it 2 feet longer. I betcha if you had the parts, converting a reg 325 to an iX would be bolt on.. I know my wheels are different with their 0 offset, but what else.
                I'm willing to bet that too. BMW didn't want to have to make different chassis. That's why the auto harness just plugs into the manual harness and the provisions for manual parts are already there.

- Yoshi - yeah mine has a little transfer case that bolts to the end of the trans.. same Getrag 260 though..
                Oh really? That's good news. Wonder how it bolts to the end of the trans though. There has to be something different. Can you get pix of that? You know, because I'm demanding and such :)
                1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

Originally posted by M20_fever
                  IX and standard e30 are different chassis, not a bolt on swap at all. The front strut towers are different, as are the RSM, and the trans tunnel among other little differences. I have the factory assembly manuals that have all the chassis dimensions somewhere and they have different pages for standard chassis, IX, and M3.
                  1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

What say you? M20-Fever, you best halt with these blasphemies, or you will be charged with High Treason by His Majesty Norbert Reithofer the Prince of Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, where you'll be hanged then cut into quarters. From there your body will be spread throughout Munich so all his loyal, humble followers can see what happens to those who oppose his law.

.... Yup, just watched all 4 seasons of "The Tudors" over the last few days. I beseech you to forgive me for my laziness, and lack of updates..

Loved the show however, I'm a little upset with King Henry VIII... Every woman I fell in love with he decided to kill..

First Queen Anne

Then Lady Rochford

... well there is this little gem.. But she is King Henry's Daughter

.. damnit, you guys.. back on topic.
                    1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

Alright guys here are some more photo's of what's been going on.

I took the bumper cover off to remove the bumper because the 2 bolts holding the assembly together were rusted tight.

Looks like she's been in an accident..

Started working on the hood. I'm not 100 percent satisfied with how it turned out but it'll be ok for the winter.

Ok now for some reason I decides to give myself more work do like trying my hand at graphics.. Like I need more work to do.

It's hard to tell, but there is actually a progression with the color.. Black/charcoal/aluminum
                      1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

Yes sir, it's all rattle can.. I ended up putting on 4 coats last night. It's been sitting in the sun all day so far. I wasn't expecting it to happen, although it makes sense, the clear coat made sort of a yellow-ish tint. Which actually "dimmed" down the white so it almost matches the rest of the old oxidized paint. I'm going to try to do a minimal amount of wet sanding with hopes it doesn't brighten back up..lol. I'm no painter so if anyone has any tips or tricks, they'll be welcomed.
                        Thank you for the kinds words M20..
                        1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

Oh I almost forgot! pics of the trans / transfer case for the Yoshmister..

1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

I actually have it ~legally on the road now.. been driving it to work. At first I wasn't happy with how she was running, so when I got her back home I just unplugged the battery and plugged it back in before I left for work the next morning.. Whole new animal!

My first mistake when I ran the new fuel lines was not putting a bubble flair at the end/or not filing down the end of the flair enough.. Sorta bit me in the ass on my way to work. I filled her up with 20 bucks (5 gallons about) and the tank was empty by the time I got to work (38 miles).. Soo, now thats fixed.

I opened up the front axle, not going to tell you what I found.. As soon as I can I'm going to post some pictures. -yuush-
                            1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

1991 325ix

My 325ix Build

Comment

Working...
                              X