The m10 Turbo thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The m10 Turbo thread!

Hey guys! This is the first official post on the up coming turbo build I'm doing to my car! I've been wanting to turbo the car for quite some time and I finally have the means to start my build thread!

A little bit of back round on me and my car: My name is Noah and I am 19 years of age. I've always loved e30's and its kinda manifested into me finally being able to now only own one but work on one! I actually got my car one year ago this month! I fell in love with e30s manly because of Forza! I always used to play the e30 M3 on Forza and because of that I wanted an e30! So Iwent out and got extremely lucky in finding this gem. I went and saw two other e30s before the this one and they had an ungodly amount of problems.

So I made sure to check Craigslist every single day at the break of dawn, and finally the perfect e30 had appeared! I immediately contacted him and was the first person to come see it! It was also a 4 hour drive LOL worth it. Anyway, the next day my father and I drove up really early in the morning before school and bought it for $3200.00! Needless to say I was smiles all day! This is my first car and I couldn't be happier.. When I bought the car I could;t even change my oil without help, now I've learned so much from my mechanic brother-in-lawand can do way more than I thought I'd ever learn in a year!

Now this car is a 1984 318i. The car is super cherry, resprayed, no rust, perfect interior, ran great, it was a steal! I immediately put it on some coils and dropped it three inches and put some nice wheels on it! So its not a hot rod, its got a m10 engine which satisfied me for about.... two months.. So I decided I needed to start working towards doing an engine swap or turbo or what have you... Well about two months into owning the car I stumbled upon Kamotors Turbo Kit for the m20! When I saw that I knew i had to buy an m20 way the engine and buy his kit! In fact if you search hard enough Im sure you'll see some post I made months back on his thread lol. However when I had set my mind on that I still didn't know anything... I hadn't realized all I needed to do to have a successful turbo.. So after many of hours of research and reading I learnt myself lol. In order to have a reliable successful turbo you need to do an engine rebuild, there's a lot of small stuff involved in turning a car not just slapping on a snail and going!

After doing some hard math I came to the conclusion that buying an m20, rebuilding, and turboing it would be very expensive. However, I digress.

My next idea was putting in an s52! Then I went to the idea of putting a Foxbody 5.0 in it! Then I went back to the s52! I could not make my mind up for the life of me. I seemed hopeless.... Until I decided the best, most fun, cheapest and most unique way to do this is to build my current m10 and turbo that! seams obvious enough right? LOL

Anyway now I'm here and I'm very excited. I bought a head from a fellow R3v'r for $60 and sent it to Shan't for a complete rebuild. Port, polish, H.D. rockers, springs, valves, reground cam, etc for $1200.00 if I remember correctly... it's beautiful.Next was the block. I purchased all my engine parts for the rebuild from Ireland Engineering. The list includes:

Rod Bearings for M10 - Factory - m10rodbearing
    bearing-size: standard

Main Bearings for M10 - Factory - 02mainb
    bearing-size: standard

Rod Bolt and Nut - OEM - 02rodbolt

M10 Lower Gasket Set - 02gaslower

Timing Cover Gasket Set - M10 - m10tmngcvrst

M10 Upper Gasket Set - 02upgas

Performance MLS Head Gasket for M10 - 02compgasket

ARP Head Stud Kit for M10 Engine - 02headstud

Timing Chain Tension Rail - M10 - 02tensionrail

Water Pump for 2002 - 02wp

Timing Chain for M10 - 02timchain
    type: 2-row

Timing Chain Guide Rail - M10 - 02chainrail

Forged Pistons for M10 Engine - m10forged-custom
    head: 1.8
    bore: 90mm
    comp: 9.0:1 (stock)
    rods: 144mm
    stroke: 71mm
    Turbo Application

Coming out to $1600.00 for the entire rebuild. Which isn't bad!

After the rebuild I plan on buying a Garret 2871, or something similar thats cheaper. I need to find out what intercooler kit to get, and I need to figure out fuel pumps. However i think I already have a Bosch 404 which would be perfect for it. Idk i have to look. Then I plan on running AEM EMS 4 with a custom harness being built. a Local performance shop will be installing all of that because thats not my forte. That'll cost around $6000.00 for the ECU, harness, al of ignition, injectors, tuning, and labor. So not took bad. :x

Anyway, now that I have my engine parts its time to rebuild which will be starting in two weeks! I'm very excited! I'll be posting pictures regularly on the entire build from engine rebuild to putting on the turbo and what not. I can't wait to document the entire thing and share the experience with my favorite community, R3vLimited.

Here are some pictures of al the new shiny parts! More pictures to come!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool, always great to see a turbo M10 build. What crank are you using that's 71mm...?
    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
      Cool, always great to see a turbo M10 build. What crank are you using that's 71mm...?

Just the guy I was looking for! I'm going to buy one of your manifolds! Lol

I'm using a stock 1.8 crank. I may upgrade to a forged 2.0 crank but it's not really in the budget lol

Comment

Originally posted by Graebmw95 View Post
        Just the guy I was looking for! I'm going to buy one of your manifolds! Lol

I'm using a stock 1.8 crank. I may upgrade to a forged 2.0 crank but it's not really in the budget lol

Alright then..!! , if you have any questions with your build just shoot me a pm or email.
        Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
          Alright then..!! , if you have any questions with your build just shoot me a pm or email.
          Will do! I appreciate it!

Comment

Looks like an awesome build. best of luck..
            Didn't BMW use the m10 block on their F1 turbo engines in the 80s. I heard it can produce somewhere in the 1300hp range.
            sigpic
            327is
            325es
            325es
            318is
            Fiesta ST
            E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
              Didn't BMW use the m10 block on their F1 turbo engines in the 80s. I heard it can produce somewhere in the 1300hp range.
              That's right! The Infamous m12! The story goes that they actually used a rusty block that employees would literally piss on that was outsite their facility.. now idk if that true to just a tall tale but thats the story. lol They got the engine up to 1300 BHP with a turbo. Back then there wasn't a restriction on turbos. The rules were it either had to be a 1.8 NA or 1.6 Turbo and BMW went the turbo route. lol Its pretty cool!

Comment

Noah, good to see your build thread. Those pistons look cool!

Idk if you knew, i'm planning to go turbo on my black car for 2015 D4C!

You need to post some more pictures of your car, I have two:

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I'd really like an M10/12'ish build.

Good luck. Some cool YT videos of those old Motorsports engines...
                  ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Well sorted/clean e30, thought out build and doing it right the first time I think this will be a great turbo build!
                    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                    ~ '87 535
                    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Good luck with m10 turbo! Here's a fine thread for inspiration: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70595
                      My transaction feedback on r3vlimited :):Clickety click

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                        Noah, good to see your build thread. Those pistons look cool!

Idk if you knew, i'm planning to go turbo on my black car for 2015 D4C!

You need to post some more pictures of your car, I have two:

Oh wow! That'll be awesome! Thats my goal too! I'm wanting to get this done by the end of May so that I have time to break the engine in before D4C! Im super siked! And thank everyone! I can't wait to get going! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by raudonis View Post
                          Good luck with m10 turbo! Here's a fine thread for inspiration: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70595

Holy cow! That's awesome! Lol

Comment

What pistons are those? specs?
                            Are you switching to a double row timing chain? If yes, why? Looks like it in the pictures.

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
                            They had close to 1300 in qualifying engines, which had the lifespan and power of a hand grenade. Less in race engines. The blocks were from used 1502's, which is a very different casting compared to other old M10 blocks ("old blocks" are all strong anyway). E30 M10 blocks are much thinner cast just about everywhere.

Originally posted by Graebmw95 View Post
                            That's right! The Infamous m12! The story goes that they actually used a rusty block that employees would literally piss on that was outsite their facility.. now idk if that true to just a tall tale but thats the story. lol They got the engine up to 1300 BHP with a turbo. Back then there wasn't a restriction on turbos. The rules were it either had to be a 1.8 NA or 1.6 Turbo and BMW went the turbo route. lol Its pretty cool!
                            Turbo displacement limit was 1500cc not 1600. First manufacturer to take on the old turbo option was Renault. BMW's blocks were used ones, that way all the stresses and tensions were eliminated from the blocks.

They also had very high revs, toluene as fuel and 4,5 bar of boost.

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                              What pistons are those? specs?
                              Are you switching to a double row timing chain? If yes, why? Looks like it in the pictures.

They had close to 1300 in qualifying engines, which had the lifespan and power of a hand grenade. Less in race engines. The blocks were from used 1502's, which is a very different casting compared to other old M10 blocks ("old blocks" are all strong anyway). E30 M10 blocks are much thinner cast just about everywhere.

Turbo displacement limit was 1500cc not 1600. First manufacturer to take on the old turbo option was Renault. BMW's blocks were used ones, that way all the stresses and tensions were eliminated from the blocks.

They also had very high revs, toluene as fuel and 4,5 bar of boost.

Ross Racing Pistons. I'll post spec tomorrow! And yes double row chain for extra beafyness!

Comment

Working...
                              X