1986 325iX 3.1L Stroker + Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 325iX 3.1L Stroker + Turbo

You guys may have seen this a couple years back, but it is finally on the road.

Some quick information on the car.

Its a 1986 325iX in diamond Schwarz Metallic. Looking up the vin, it seems to be one of the first iX's produced (11/85 with production starting in 10/85). The car was brought in to the US through Texas in March of '86. It didn't pass inspection (federalization) until October of '89 according to the VIN report. It has lived in Colorado ever since and passed a few hands until I found it.

It was the euro M20B25, so 9.7:1 Long Skirt Pistons, Motronic 1.0 073 ECU, taurus red leather sport interior, ski bag, ac, 13 button obc, sport mtech 1 steering wheel, rear headrests, power windows, power mirrors, power sunroof, euro bumpers, iS rear spoiler, front and rear fogs, and the Jimmy Hill Chin Spoiler.

The guy I picked it up from messed up too much to detail, but I made a few changes in fixing it.

+2 86mm Block Overbore
    Forged JE Flat top Pistons 9.5:1 CR
    H Beam Forged Rods
    M54B30 Crank 89.6 mm Stroker
    Crank Spacer
    Stock Flywheel with full rotating assembly balanced
    F1 Racing 6 Puck Clutch
    Z3 1.9 Shift Lever
    Gates Racing Belt
    Motronic 1.3 Engine Harness and ECU Upgrade
    Rebuilt 885 Head Stock Cam and Valves
    Ottoco 86mm MLS Head Gasket
    Later Style Water Pump, Radiator and Coolant Reservoir
    3.64 Viscous Differentials
    AEM Wideband Oxygen Sensor
    BBS front Valence

I have some 24# injectors I was planning to run but I am having trouble with my whodwho MS2 Extra PNP MS2 setup. I think I need to change to a Variable TPS from an M5x engine to make it work correctly.

Couple more photos:

Attached Files
    Last edited by downforce22; 05-18-2015, 07:21 AM.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

how does drive with stock cam?
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Sound nice project :)
      https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
      https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        how does drive with stock cam?
        It runs pretty good with the stock cam. Quite a bit of torque. I haven't run it much above 4000 rpm but it pulls up to there. I'm sure my altitude isn't helping things. Only about 500 miles on the engine now, another oil change and I'll be getting the whodwho MS2 setup.

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Cool project. Lots of work ahead of you! It's weird to see the euro aluminum bumpers, but then see the NA grill surrounds. It's a cool car with an interesting background.

Comment

SUB'D. so cool to see a euro bumpered IX in the US. Been considering it for my 88 coupe resto.
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

More details / pics of the engine and interior please.....

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Sweet! I bet a cam would really wake it up.

Comment

That's a badass project, looking forward to updates!

Oh, and sell me your 3.64s!
                  Last edited by AWDBOB; 09-30-2014, 12:33 PM.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

dayum!

Comment

Love it with the zender valance! If I may ask what happened to the Jimmy hill lip? Why switch?

Comment

Here are some photos. Please excuse the dust, I didn't have time to wash before the sun went down.

A couple of things:

-The previous owner dyed the interior black. I cleaned the rear sears, ski pass, and door cards to get them looking like they do now.
                        -Oddly, the Vin tag under the hood and the federalization tag in the door call it a '325i'
                        - I converted to the later style radiator, water pump and coolant reservoir for room next to the exhaust ;)
                        -The Jimmy Hill looked ok and is rare, but I liked the BBS valence as it has the horizontal lines like the euro iX side skirts and the e28 rear spoiler I plan to mount. Also notice the rear flares behind the rear wheels are early iX specific
                        - The wideband oxygen sensor will eventually go to the MS2 and have a gauge pod to sit in without the wiring mess
                        -I have euro grilles but I wanted to see how it looked with the silver outline
                        - I have new fog lenses, I just need to wire them up and mount them since the old wiring was cut :letitout:
                        -I had to piece together the instrument cluster because the original one was federalized

With the Jimmy Hill

Some things I need to fix:
                        -ABS light comes on after every startup
                        -Heater does not blow warm, cold only. Need to check the valve is getting power from temperature control
                        -i think a shock is blown
                        - wire fogs, running lights on smileys, replace front fenders that don't have side markers, and install rear spoiler
                        -rust on drivers side, (There is none on passenger side?)
                        -Look into removing window tinting
                        -Replace batteries in cluster, fuel gas is intermittent
                        Last edited by downforce22; 10-02-2014, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Sorry if it's been cover but those flares and skirts look different then the U.S. iX's!

Stripes on the skirts, and the flares look more like the ones you see on E28 M535i's "barely there" flares. Thanks for sharing man, looks like a cool car!!
                          clutchCTRL!
                          Move with a purpose.
                          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                          - 2000 323i AT
                          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

pre 87 Euro IX flares.. don't exist in the US.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                              Sorry if it's been cover but those flares and skirts look different then the U.S. iX's!

Stripes on the skirts, and the flares look more like the ones you see on E28 M535i's "barely there" flares. Thanks for sharing man, looks like a cool car!!
                              Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                              pre 87 Euro IX flares.. don't exist in the US.
                              Yes sir. Thats what I thought when I first noticed them. Actually there is a local euro iX in colorado springs my friend sent me a picture of it.

Also, there is another set in the US:

Comment

Working...
                              X