Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPS question

Simple question I hope.

M30b35 running on m20b25 harness, which tps should I use? M30 manual tps or m20 tps? I can't find a straight answer, the link below says that the 2 tps's function backwards and are not interchangeable.

What one should I use?

Use the TPS that matches with the ecu.

Plugs may be different so a simple cut and solder is in order.
    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I run the M30 manual TPS with my M20 loom. Plug & Play.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I am swapping in m30b35 and the tps has a different plug On it than my m20 harness has. Should I use the m30 tps and solder the m30 style connection onto my m20 harness. I've read that just swapping the m20 tps onto the m30 works fine.

Comment

swap the TPS. Put the m20 TPS on the m30 throttle body since you are using the m20 harness.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnut View Post
            Use the TPS that matches with the ecu.

Plugs may be different so a simple cut and solder is in order.
            Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
            I run the M30 manual TPS with my M20 loom. Plug & Play.
            Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
            swap the TPS. Put the m20 TPS on the m30 throttle body since you are using the m20 harness.
            So far 2 for m30 tps, 1 for m20 tps. Hopefully somebody can definitively answer this as I was unable to find a 100% clear answer.

Comment

I used the m30 tps with the m20 harness and it plugged right in

Comment

There must be two M30 TPS. The one on my 1993 B35 auto has a round plug.

Comment

m30 auto is a round plug, variable resistance tps. manual is a 3 pin on-off style tps.

Comment

^both correct. You cannot use a round-plug, automatic tps with any type of manual transmission or harness.

Comment

bumping this up.

I'm now facing the same issue.

I've now sourced that my TPS might be faulty...I do not get a constant ohm reading when doing the WOT test, and it's inconsistent when feathering off the throttle (according to readings)

either way, I will be ordering a new TPS as the one I have is likely just defective.

I'm running a M20 harness with a M30b35 engine.
                      I removed the flyby wire system/throttle body in favor of an older e32 735 throttle body that had the same fit and accessibility to fit the square 3 pin TPS plug.

the part numbers are confusing.

the TPS that I CURRENTLY have is part number: 0 280 120 321

I dig a little more, and BAV auto shows part number for MANUAL ONLY m30b35's as 0 280 120 302

so with everything said...are we still in accordance, that, the TPS sensor part number SHOULD match the wiring harness used, (in my case m20b25) but with a 179 m30 ECU (sssquid chipped)

this will have no ill effect on WOT activation- and full functionality?

I'm sorry for the many questions-
                      these sensors aren't cheap and I want to order the right one.

thx
                      Originally posted by flyboyx
                      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Try putting the m20 tps on an m30 and you will quickly find out that they are not the same part. Effectively the m20 works clockwise and the m30 works counterclockwise

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
                        sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

If using a m20 harness with the m30, the...the harness should match the tps no?
                          The only m30 tps's I found where the round 6 pin plug found on automatics.
                          Which is why I went full m20 harness and tps

Comment

Countless people have used an m20 harness with the m20 tps (bosch p/n ending in 321)
                            Are you saying the m30 manual tps sensor is needed?

Comment

Yes, you have to use a manual tps (i think). I found out the hard way that the m20 tps works in the opposite direction than the m30 tps. Internally they are a mirror image of each other

I'm using a harness from an automatic 735i, I had to cut the 6-8 pin round plug off of the harness, and solder a three pin plug to the three wires that are the same color as the stock m20 tps plug. Other than that I had to do no other wiring. I did use the entire throttle from a manual car, but my setup is not like a lot of others

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
                              sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Working...
                              X