Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: Spielereien. AKA "The dumpster fire"

Ok, so I originally started a build thread here:

This is when I was really undecided about the direction I wanted to go with my Pile. I'm not going to retype everything there to here, although I will continue to update both as I make progress.

One day, while looking for something else at a junk yard I found this:

Anyways, I got a screaming deal, Only paid $180 after I took in a blown M20 for a core, that pretty much locked in what swap I was going to do. After about 2 hours, my partner in crime, Maston, and I got the motor out, and separated it from it's autotragic prison. We were able to get the engine, harness, alternator, PS pump, Exhaust manifolds....pretty much everything except the ECU, which was already gone. This lead to a few problems, One is I don't know what the mileage is, and I was not able to do a compression test, or leakdown. But at the price, I decided to take the gamble.

Once I got it on the engine stand at home, I was able to do a little more evaluation. I got the down pipes seperated from the manifolds, and stored away until I need them. I also found a little damage from the removal process:

So needless to say, I have to replace that plug. Also, the MAF is shot, I have the sensor, but the housing was completely shattered. other than that, I have not found any other damage. I was able to crank over the engine by hand, and it feels like it has good compression.

I don't have pictures of it, but 2 days later I decided, I wanted to do the remote booster, so I went back and got the full setup off the same donor.

I still have a LONG ways to go. I still need to track down a 404 DME, transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, and other odds and ends. I'm planning on using garagistic's engine mounts, transmission mounts, and signal splitter for the tach. I don't want to run subframe spacers, so I will have to pan notched.

I'm getting the impression that a manual tranny is going to be a BITCH to find, so I am open to suggestions on donor sources.

Also, I need to find somewhere between a 2.93 and 3.30 LDS for the new subframe I'm putting together right now. I have to order one more set of camber/caster adjusters before I can start burning out old bushings and rebuilding.

This will be a long term project, especially because I don't have a garage of my own to work in. I have access to a shop, but I can't occupy it for more than 24 hours at a time. So bare with me, and stay tuned!
    Last edited by delamaize; 02-18-2017, 01:41 PM.
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Long term project you say....

....I am the long term project master.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

sweet, sub'd!

Comment

I'm right there in the Long Term Project club!!! Been working on mine for almost 2.5 years!!! Blew up the M20 in November of 2012 if that tells you anything!
        Some people just need a sympathetic pat...
        on the head...
        WITH A HAMMER!!!

Comment

Wow what a score!

Jerk....

:popcorn:
          https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Update, Scored a Getreg 420g out of a 2000 540i, I go pick it up on monday. Still need a Flywheel, clutch and 404 ECU at this point, and of course all the garagistic goodies to bolt it in. Pictures on monday.

Also, side note, anyone bought the book that MACALENT put out on the swap? been debating if I want to buy it or not.
            Last edited by delamaize; 03-27-2015, 12:05 AM.
            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

I'm currently doing the same swap and I bought the book from MACALENT. For the cost of the whole swap, you'd be foolish not to spend an extra $25 or whatever it costs to buy the book. It is a very well written manual and worth every penny!
              Originally posted by 36brua
              Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
              Patryk:up:
              Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
              08 VW .:R32
              04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Saw your Q about the ABS stuff in another thread.

Simple answer.....don't use the stupid remote brake booster....do the Wilwood thing. Then everything can stay where it is....ABS, etc. Just run two lines to the master cylinders and done.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                  Saw your Q about the ABS stuff in another thread.

Simple answer.....don't use the stupid remote brake booster....do the Wilwood thing. Then everything can stay where it is....ABS, etc. Just run two lines to the master cylinders and done.
                  I'm thinking about it now, not sure how the pedal feel is without the booster though....
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

With proper sized masters it's fine.....can be even better.

Comment

Picked up the 420g today...

Also scored a 404 ecu for about $30 shipped. Will be here in a few days
                      Attached Files
                      Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

This thing will be such a sleeper with that motor in it. It was nice meeting you at that Dicks gtg.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          This thing will be such a sleeper with that motor in it. It was nice meeting you at that Dicks gtg.
                          Likewise man! Besides the fact that I think the shitty paint gives is part of it's personality, I also think the sleeper factor is going to be worth while. I can't wait to see the look on the first person's face I lay to waste with Spielereien.

(for those of you who have not figured it out, Spielereien, is Shenanigans in german. ;D)
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Does the 404 DME require an OBDI conversion?

Comment

From what I understand, the 0261200404 is OBD1. Unless I am completely off base.
                              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
                              X