V8's with bigger steering racks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8's with bigger steering racks.

What's everyone running for steering racks on their swapped cars? I want to put in a better steering rack while my engine is out, but i'm conflicted between getting a Z3 rack or a 330 ZHP rack. I know the E46 rack swap procedure is very similar to the E36 one, however I dont know if there is difference in thickness of the racks. Supposedly the thicker E36 racks interfere with M6x swaps so you have to get different engine mounts or modify the existing ones.

Anyone here running an E46 rack with a V8?
    Originally posted by 36brua
    Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
    Patryk:up:
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Running a Z3 rack myself with an RB25DET swapped E30. About to drop in an LS1 in there. Everything fits exactly like an E30 rack except there's more space for PS lines since they are clocked away from the engine block/pan. The Z3/E36 rack tubing is identical to the E30. Not sure about the E46.
    Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

I have an purple e46 rack with my ls3 swap. No problems at all.

Comment

Bumping this with a question. On the E30 subframe, there are 2 positions to mount the steering rack. I was told that if you mount the steering rack to the outside holes (the ones further away from the subframe), it will reduce bumpsteer because the tie rods will be in a more straight position. My question is if I do this, will my steering rack clear the oil pan in the M60? Also what are everyone's thoughts on this theory? Is anyone else running their steering rack mounted to the outside holes rather than the inside ones?
        Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Fore/aft positioning won't change bumpsteer, only vertical. Put your spacers/washers on the top of the rack, but bumpsteer isn't really an issue anyway.
          sigpic

Comment

e36 racks are the same tube diameter, but the mounting bosses are thinner, which is why spacers are required when using them in an e30. The nice thing is, you can put those spacers on the top of the rack, lowering it in relation to the oil pan. The downside is, this would likely create additional bump steer. I've had mine like that for years, and don't notice it. I have quite a bit of track experience in various e30's, and my v8 car doesn't feel any different to me as far as bump steer.

For my car, I actually cut the upper rack mounting ears off, and welded them on flush with the top of the subframe. This allows me to not use spacers, and created almost an inch of clearance for the oil pan. I have custom mounts that allow for proper engine alignment without subframe spacers, so I had to modify my oil pan the clear the pan/subframe.

As for spacing front/rear with the 2 set of holes, I honestly can't remember when set of holes are used, but I know my rack is pushed back in as close to the subframe as possible, and couldn't come back any further. And it needs to be there, because the lower sump of the pan hangs down right in front of it, I have maybe 5mm of clearance.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Perfect, thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Justin!

Now when you say you gained almost an inch of clearance from the oil pan, I assume you mean from the top mounting tab to the oil pan?

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Following J good's lead, We did the same thing.

We Increased pan clearance by lowing the top mounts for the steering rack. Which eliminated the need for spacers for using an e36 rack (win win.)

My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Working...
                X