Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those of you who have big $$$ in your e30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those of you who have big $$$ in your e30.

I was just doing calculation and I realized that I have a good bit of money into my e30. Now I know that (for right now at least) that with all e30 besides m3 you are probably not going to get your money out of it when you go to sell. My question is how do you guys who have major money into your e30 insure it? By major money I mean 10-15k plus into a regular non //M e30. Do you guys just put full coverage, or insure it with some type of classic car insurance?

hagerty and others will not allow daily usage if insured as a classic car. My 2002tii is insured by hagerty and the restrictions about allowable usage are pretty extensive
    so classic car insurance is a non starter.
    “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
    Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

American Collectors, Grundy and Hagerty all offer agreed value policies. Grundy was the best option in my case.
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Full coverage. Get wrecked, hire an appraiser to help get actual cash value.
        Multiple friends have done it successfully so far - just takes persistence.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Agreed to what all the others have said. Collector's insurance and an appraisal is an absolute must if you're in the five figure club (which isn't a whole lot of us here).
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I was in a unique spot of having a car that meets those same requirements but was also a daily driver. With some work I was able to get a full coverage policy that had agreed value on the itemized modifications. Because it was under $25k and my agent fought a little, I was able to get this without an appraisal. Although I don't see how an appraisal could hurt, it was just the hassle. It's not perfect but in my mind it's better then fighting after the fact.

The agent did tell me that if I had another car as a daily then the whole thing would become much easier but as far as I can tell I'm in a better spot then I was before when it was simply insured as an 1989 325i. The rates were pretty competitive too. I'm actually paying slightly less than before.
            Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

I'm just trying to decide what to do. I'll have five figures into it and is hate for something to happen and just get what a "1989 325i" brings. I don't have a DD besides my e30 but once it's paibted that'll definitely change.

Comment

I carry a gun...
                https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I'm edging 30k and >2600 hours into my e30. I have full coverage and they will cover what i have in receipts. The issue is the hours and hours and hours that I cant get back.

I drive with my head on a swivel and I don't DD it.
                  Grundy has been recommended to me. but i still have state farm. SF has been good to my friends that have had accidents.
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                    I'm edging 30k and >2600 hours into my e30. I have full coverage and they will cover what i have in receipts. The issue is the hours and hours and hours that I cant get back.

I drive with my head on a swivel and I don't DD it.
                    Grundy has been recommended to me. but i still have state farm. SF has been good to my friends that have had accidents.
                    �� 30k in a regular e30? I'll have about 13k into mines once I'm done. I have State Farm as well. And when you say receipts do you mean just for a "new items"? All of the parts going on my car are oem genuine bmw and I have all of the invoices for but they are/are going to be some big ticket used items.

Comment

Yup a boring ass m20 powered 4dr.

Much wow
                      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Its easy to have $20-25k into a non m if you've owned it long enough. I stopped counting in 2007 and that was like $15k.. I've had it long enough that some things like suspension I've redone several times.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I lost $10k by not having the "proper insurance"...I had full coverage with Allstate...

Comment

I have Grundy which was less expensive than Hagerty for me.

Cabriolet's e30 is awesome, it's as close as you are going to get to a brand new e30.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsully70sev View Post
                              I lost $10k by not having the "proper insurance"...I had full coverage with Allstate...
                              In your opinion what do you mean by proper insurance? Like collector car insurance?

Comment

Working...
                              X