Auto Von Bismarck - The Commuter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Von Bismarck - The Commuter

Automatic, big bumpers, and an eta; what's not to love?

This is my new 1987 325e automatic. After a low-speed accident totaled our 1991 325i, I bought this 325e from a friend. It belonged to a neighbor of his until he took it on a few years ago with the intention of making it a reliable commuter. He went through a ton of maintenance and successfully drove it for a few years before it sprung an input seal leak and was sidelined until I bought it.

The primary purpose of this car is to be a comfortable and reliable commuter car for the wife. Accordingly, I did the unthinkable; I repaired the automatic transmission and reinstalled it.

New filter and pan seal while I'm at it.

I used an interesting method for reinstalling the transmission without a lift or transmission jack, as seen on Jalopnik.com.

I also tacked a cracked section of the exhaust hanger back together.

Yes, those are terrible welds, but I only had access to an arc welder and no one will see my exhaust.

Next, I tackled the interior. The previous owner installed a relatively nice Alpine unit from circa 2002, but the wife requested Bluetooth connectivity. So, time for some rewiring.

The head unit is a Pioneer DEH-X6700BT. It has Bluetooth connectivity and the display color can be changed to match the interior lights, all for less than $100.

I also installed my digital volt meter.

Crappy night shot:

Washed and waxed, ready for commuting duties.

Last edited by ClayW; 02-24-2016, 09:13 AM.
    1987 325e Commuter Project Blog

1967 1600 Project Blog: www.TX02.blogspot.com

Looks,like a nice daily

Comment

I'd rock it
      = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

In for a (semi-)local.
        Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Nice. Where did you get the volt meter? Jaywood?

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
            Nice. Where did you get the volt meter? Jaywood?
            Made it myself with a fader switch housing and a cheap, Chinese voltmeter.
            Last edited by ClayW; 02-24-2016, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I decided to fix the constant "Brake Lights" light on the check panel. That indicator has cried wolf too many times, so now I'm bypassing it.

So, I removed the check panel relay from the trunk and popped the board out of it.

I soldered this wire in to bypass the coils.

I reinstalled it, then pulled the board out of the third brake light. I soldered a wire to bypass the coil in that one, too.

Of course, the bypassing means that the check panel won't detect a burnt out bulb, but I wouldn't trust it anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X