SS brake lines - center lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS brake lines - center lines

I replaced my brake lines last weekend. Got mine from the korman group buy that went on here. I had a lot of apprehension about the center lines, and I noticed a lot of other people do too. But I did it, and took some pictures on the way, so I figured I'll try my hand at a little writeup.

First I did the passenger rear line. Easy.

Then I moved on to the passenger center line. I shot PB blaster onto the ends of the lines just to insure they went quietly and didn't strip. Everything looked pretty good on my car so I didn't worry, but apparently these pieces are prone to corrosion.
    If you end up stripping something in one of those hard-to-reach places be aware that dropping the subframe will almost certainly be required. You've been warned.

Edit: An 11mm flare wrench can be substituted for the 11mm open-ended wrench for more security against stripping.

#1 Remove exhaust shielding plate.

I'm not sure if that's what it's called, but you can see it there right above my very rusty exhaust. There's 4 11mm bolts holding it up. Take those out and it'll drop right off.

#2 Unbolt one end of the brake line
    Hold a 14mm open-ended wrench on the big bolt and loosen the little bolt with an 11mm wrench. The loose end will drip about half a jar of brake fluid over about an hour. I just took a break and waited for it to stop.

#3 Slide a 14mm box wrench onto the line

There's room so you can push it all the way back and it will fit around the bolt snuggly, but will have almost no room to rotate. This will hold the line in place while you loosen the other side.

#4 Loosen other bolt with an 11mm open-ended

With the exhaust shielding gone there's room to fit an 11mm open-ended up there to loosen it.

#5 Thread the new line.

Still holding the 11mm thread in place, take the new line and thread it in there by hand.

#6 Slide a 15mm box wrench onto the line, tighten with an 11mm
    Though I suspect Korman's lines use an SAE wrench size I had no problems using a 15mm box wrench. Slide it up there like you did the old line, take an 11mm wrench and tighten it up. I ended up at a point where I couldn't tighten the bolt anymore with my normal wrench because of how close the bolt is to the fuel tank, the relative bulk of my long wrenches and the interference of the drivetrain. I had to go to sears and get a set of wrenches like these:

Very small, slim, and versatile. Got my new line good and tight.

#7 Bolt up the other end of the new line, bleed the passenger rear

And now you're done with that side.

#8 Repeat on the driver center line.

The only difficult part about this job was having the right wrenches, I had to go to the store twice during this project to get the correct sized/shaped tools. Once you have the correct wrenches it's a snap. I did the second line in 10 minutes (not including time for the brake fluid to drain). So, if you were a waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles and just did the corners get back under there! It's not hard! Or if you're planning on doing this go ahead and do it all the way, done right.

Oh yea, and my new stopping power is undoubtably equal or greater than a full brembo 4pot BBK.
    Last edited by Jordan325iC; 05-03-2006, 06:07 PM.

'88 325is
    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
    BMWCCA 380364

I gotta give you mad props for doing that without subframe removal and with open ended/12-point box wrenches. That impresses me substantially.

Just got done removing mine (sans subframe).

I had some corrosion.. one 11mm nut in particular.

Since the hose with 14mm on it was unconnected from trailing arm hard line, that was the one I wrenched on while 11mm nut on chassis hard line was held with 11mm flare wrench.

Well, since it was so corroded, it spun w/in flare wrench (I suspect use of open ended wrench (as indicated above) would invite a greater chance of failure) and caused [somewhat] corroded chassis hard line to break. (not brake) If I could do it again, I woulda used a vice grip on the 11mm and been just fine. As it is, I’m off to look for an appropriate hard line and bending tool tomorrow.

Had this scenario occurred while subframe was in place, I woulda bee-lined for nearest bottle of vodka after throwing tools across garage, kicking a dog, and punching an available sheetrocked wall (hopefully missing a stud).

That you spun off the 11mm hard line nuts with an open ended just flat-out amazes me. Shit. The next 15+ year old car I buy is gonna be from Texas.

In conclusion, I think it is awesome that you replaced them w/ subframe in (not to mention open-ended/12 points). Wow. It is not something I’d recommend to an unseasoned wrencher (like myself) (mostly because, if perchance, something irreversible happens/breaks, you’re suddenly in a world of hurt with now-required subframe removal) (I’ve been wrenching hobby-style for years and continue to learn as I tackle more difficult tasks) (here are some more words in parenthesis)

Nutshell: job described above could not be achieved on remotely corroded components with open-ended and/or 12 point wenches.

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Maybe it’s a ‘salt-belt’ thing..

Why do they even bother to manufacture 12-point sockets/wrenches ?

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Yikes, sounds like a nightmare. I'll have to put a disclaimer at the top of my writeup. Had my lines been corroded and something like that happened... it would have been very bad (I was finishing that job at 9pm Sunday night). Luckily my car has lived down here in Texas all it's life and all the line ends were in strong healthy condition.

I imagine that you could start out with the quick method, and if worse comes to worse you could drop the subframe if you ever hit a problem like that. You could interchange the 11mm open-ended for an 11mm flare when you hit that step for more security. The only benifit I can see from dropping the subframe is more room to work, which is nice but might not prevent stripping of corroded components.

In the end... be aware that subframe removal might be necessary if you hit a snag, but it might be quicker to try the subframe-in method initially, and only drop the subframe if need be.

'88 325is
        BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Nice writeup, this is probably going to be my next mod and its good to know.
          Back to my roots

Comment

Great writeup. I just finished my rear lines with this as a guide and it was spot-on. The only thing I changed is that I used a 14mm crows-foot in place of the open ended wrench. No problems whatsoever.

Hoveringuy

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
              Maybe it’s a ‘salt-belt’ thing..

Why do they even bother to manufacture 12-point sockets/wrenches ?

To go on 12-point hardware. It's an airplane thing.

1991 318is Diamant Schwarz

Comment

Just used this as a template to install my lines today. Stainless steel braided lines made a pretty noticeable difference. Not removing the subframe didn't present any real issues other than the passenger side rear center line. It can be done, but using the crow's-foot definitely makes it easier. Overall, it wasn't hard at all and it was worth it. Just my .02...
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Wow it's been a long time since I wrote this. Glad you guys liked it. Where are my pictures? Am I the only one who can't see them anymore?

Edit: It seems like freewebs finally got tired of being my photobucket. I will try to find those pictures and put them back up.

'88 325is
                  BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Just a little note regarding the brakelines aboves the subframe. It looks like everyone is scared by them. In fact they are extremely easy to remove. And without dropping the subframe. All you need to do is to cut the rubber line as close as possible to the metal fitting, and use a deep socket (and a ratchet) to undo it.
                    Brake harder. Go faster. No shit.

massivebrakes.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Massiv...78417442267056

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC View Post
                      Wow it's been a long time since I wrote this. Glad you guys liked it. Where are my pictures? Am I the only one who can't see them anymore?

Edit: It seems like freewebs finally got tired of being my photobucket. I will try to find those pictures and put them back up.
                      Thank you and great write up.. would love to see the pics as I'm about to do this with in a week or two.

Btw, do you have all the part #s for the brake lines? Or should I just buy from a parts store and bend everything myself?
                      Ivan

Comment

Picture replacement would be a great thing.
                        1991 318is Diamant Schwarz

Comment

pictures would be awesome!

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                          X