rolling paint jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rolling paint jobs?

So my friend told me about doing a rolling job on my car. I really wanna do it, and he showed me pictures of people who did it. The results are amazing, yet time consuming. Who here has done this to their car? Can anybody post some pictures? ( if you dont kno how it works, heres the process...write up done by somebody else)

First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can.

here are some finished results

before:

after:

I have started experimenting with that technique on my Son's car. It does seem to lay down decently, does wet-sand out nicely...but sprays like ass. We are definately gonna do it with the roller. I am just having a hard time finding space in my shop.

The thinning is critical. I am gonna try and measure, then make notes.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

i read up a bit on this a while back. definetly seems like the way to go if you are a DIY'er
      i'd do it that way but i have aircraft paint that will go on better with a spray

Comment

Very impressive, but prep work is as we all know the most important elment of a good paint job.

All in all how much did it cost you to paint it?

Comment

It takes a good 7 coats to cover a car and the hard to reach places are...impossible to reach. What i did was get the color from rustoleum in a spray can, paint all the nooks and crannies, then rollered over the car. I didn't wet sand or buff, but it turned out pretty decent for a $40 paint job.

I highly suggest white if you're going to do this.

Yeah, i was a Honda guy, the yellow one was also rollered.

Comment

That's a really cool idea. I like it alot. Does anybody else have any opinions? I could save myself about 3000 dollars. hahah. This is new to me and i'm a big DIY. lol

BTW, my car is not exactly the car in my sig, I took all the body panels off since.
            Recent Rebranding!!
            Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
            Instagram.com/garageaholic
            Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

I'd love to see more pictures.
              Recent Rebranding!!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

If you're looking for a good paint job, don't do it, if you're looking for something to cover badly damaged paint, go for it.

Comment

Even If I do white? Even with an excellent prep job and alot of time and patience?
                  Recent Rebranding!!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

It all comes down to proper prep, time, and patience. If you really do a stellar job on the prep work, and you really take the time to do a good job, I'm sure you can get it to come out looking great. I'd like to see more pics of this done.

Comment

Hey guys, check this out. Is this the same guy? like a cut paste.. scroll down to the 1st third of the page...

Recent Rebranding!!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Yeah, I read that almost a year ago. I am doing Nigels car in white, so I expect a decent result.

My Dad was a bodyman for 50 years. He taught me tons of stuff, but I still hate doing it. I have all the spray gear I could ever need, plus a small shop. I just don't want the mess of painting.

The option of having it sprayed for $400 does exist...after I do the prep.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Yeah, i was actually thinking about white for my car. I can paint the doorjambs myself and shit, but White is not out of the question.... I'm going to need all the advice I can get guys. Any help is appreciated.
                          Recent Rebranding!!
                          E30 SM62/S62
                          E30 M60 V8
                          E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Frank, have you seen the white? It is a true whit, kind of stark. That is what we are going with. All black trim on a white car. It will be a different look, that's for sure!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

The paint looks like it is turning out good, but it looks like there is little depth to it. Altho it is a cheap way to go.

1992 BMW 325iC
                              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                              X