CAB install DIY pictorial (56K, sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAB install DIY pictorial (56K, sorry)

Hey R3V, here is a easy way to remove the stock CABs from the lollipops.

I am assuming you already know how to remove/reinstall the control arm and CAB.

EDIT/UPDATE: This can be done on the car, without removing the control arms!

First, we used an airsaw. If you are working without air, you could use a hacksaw, simply assemble the blade inside the bushing.

Here is Ryan, AKA "E30Idea" modeling the latest Porter Cable Airsaw.

So, next, cut the webbing from the inner and outer parts

That is the part that could easily be done with a hacksaw...but not as fun.

Next, pull the bushing apart

Now that you have the two halves seperated, cut a slot in the outer metal sleeve of the bushing...

The goal is to NOT cut into the metal of the lollipop, but simply slice through the outer sleeve.

Next, pound a screwdriver carefully under the sleeve, breaking the sleeve, and bending it out.

Yes, the screwdriver says "Warning Not a Prybar Or Chisel" LULZ.

Now, grab that sucker with a pliers, roll it up and yank it out.

Now you are ready to install the new Urethane CAb. We used AKG, because they are excellent. We are putting these on new control arms, so it was kinda pointless to remove the inner sleeve, but the same technique works.

Just be really careful to NOT scratch the bearing surface of the control arm.

Here is the new CAB being pushed into the lollipop. We used a tiny bit of grease to make it easier.

Make absolute certain that the bushing is correctly positioned, that the "big end" is towards the rear of the car, make sure your orientation is correct.

The chunk of wood spreads the load over the entire surface of the bushing, making things much easier.

Wipe off the excess grease and install on control arm, then re-install the entire arm.

Hope all of this helps. Ryan says the exact same thing I did, no more "brake shudder", much cleaner turn-in, nicer feel in all respects.

Maybe a tiny bit harsher "road feel", but well worth it.

Have fun!

Luke
    Last edited by StereoInstaller1; 03-16-2008, 09:57 AM.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Why not offset? Nice writeup.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

how much were the AKG bushings?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        how much were the AKG bushings?
        About $50, shipped. Something like that, I dunno.

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
        Why not offset?
        If you ask the weird guy at AKG, he will tell that low speed turn-in suffers with offset bushings. He will also tell you that M3 offset will only help at high speed...and Ryan Autocrosses. That topic has been beaten to death! I can tell you that on mine, it helped a bunch to use these CABs.
        Originally posted by Axxe View Post
        Nice writeup.
        Thanks!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

For what it is worth these are on the TOP TEN list of improvments I have dont to my car. I can now do a pull to apx. 110 and than down to 50-60 mph and not have a bit of brake "shutter". I did notice a bit more road feel in the steering wheel but that is what I was aiming for. I also noticed that it helped with the "sway" throughout the entire car. I have the complete Suspension Techniques kit and this was an even better addition to that.

Ryan
          ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

Cool. I've been doin some searchin on bushing replacements lately. Good to know.
            sigpic

Comment

what about info on putting the CAB back on the control arm? i can't seem to be able to slide it on with force only. methods? tips? tools? home rigs?
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                what about info on putting the CAB back on the control arm? i can't seem to be able to slide it on with force only. methods? tips? tools? home rigs?
                You can either use a press to press them on, or mount the CA on the car at the subframe, then use lots of soap and a big hammer to hammer them on. We just did this with Josh's car last weekend. One guy push on the bushing as far as possible and hold it there, then take a big socket (just slightly bigger then the control arm) and a hammer to it. Should pop right on. It help to heat the bushing up in hot water too to get it nice and flexible.

Comment

Great guide, thanks! I have one question though. I got the AKG 75D bushings and pushed them into the lollipops, but they seem too wide. I made sure the bigger end was towards the rear of the car, but there's about a 1/4" gap between the bigger end and the edge of the lollipop (with the other side of the lollipop looking like the last pic in the guide). Should I push the bushings all the way in so that the big end is flush with the lollipop (and overhanging on the other side) or leave them as is?

Comment

Little end overhangs by 1/4" or so.

GL!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                      It help to heat the bushing up in hot water too to get it nice and flexible.
                      Huh, I did the opposite when I replaced the bushings on a friend's car. I left them in the freezer for a while so that the rubber would contract and the bushing wouldn't flex as much when I smacked it with the hammer...
                      I also lubed them with soapy watter.

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by E30Idea View Post
                        For what it is worth these are on the TOP TEN list of improvments I have dont to my car. I can now do a pull to apx. 110 and than down to 50-60 mph and not have a bit of brake "shutter". I did notice a bit more road feel in the steering wheel but that is what I was aiming for. I also noticed that it helped with the "sway" throughout the entire car. I have the complete Suspension Techniques kit and this was an even better addition to that.

Ryan
                        +1, got rid of brake shudder completly and much nicer on turn-in, I'm using the 2piece powerflex ones. I used the same method to pull the old CAB's out. I pushed the other piece onto the control arm and just pushed the whole lot together. Took a little bit of convincie to sit all nice but I got there with only one person.

Comment

great write up thanks!! i wish i had this when i put my m3 cabs on but great write up this should be stickied
                          Originally posted by ebelements
                          Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

I should do a write-up on the treehouse's:

1. unbolt the old CAB's
                            2. bolt the new ones
                            3. done
                            ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

hm... i got locally made urethane CAB's and they have an alloy ring arround them (kinda ala stock bushes). I'm not sure whether it is ok to just chuck it in the vice and press together or maybe i need a special tool that will allow me to push only on the alloy ring instead of bushing itself.

BTW, I broke my vice while trying to remove old stock bushing from the lollipop...

Comment

Working...
                              X