DIY Fender Rolling...(PICS INSIDE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Fender Rolling...(PICS INSIDE)

Alright boys...and well boys haha. This thread is for all you dumb ass's like me who like to ether run the wrong offset wheels or like super wide tires to go offroading in. Fender rolling is an ancient art from Babylonian times, don't be leave me? Look that shit up. Anyways here is my attempt to give back to the loving e30 community that give so much to me :). I had the day off today and got a chance to roll my fenders which was a long over do mod.

Its an over all easy job but it takes time...lots of time. I spent about 5 hours on my car, but I took my sweet time and ate lunch and what not in between. I would say that fender rolling is all a rythme thing. You have to make sure the metal and the paint is hot but not to hot and keep the roller active working in small spots at a time. I tried to snap as many pics as I could to help guide anyone who might want to do this. I unfortunately didn't have a choice and didn't remember signing up to do this shit when I got my wheels haha.

Ok on with the rollin. I rented a roller from a local shop called big fish motorsports... www.bigfishmotorsports.com Great shop super cool guys and awesome customer service, talk to Todd or Jay tell them Ash sent you. I highly recommend them, they are total e30 heads. They also have a 300hp n/a m20 beast :).

Anyways, once you get your roller be sure to get a heat gun, a towel or cloth, sockets to adjust the roller, and some screw drivers.

Like this, but missing the heat gun and ratchets in the pic.

Ok now lift the car up via a jack or what ever you got and put it up on stands, don't be a knuckle head and just use a jack. For the rears you want to take off both wheels and release the e-brake as you will be swinging the roller back and fourth freely.

Clean your inner fender very well, if need be use your screw driver and scrape any excess undercarriage spray from the factory. You will need to have all dirt and rocks out of the way or they will get caught in between the roller and your fender and will make your rolling experience look like shit. Don't skimp on this step.

Dirty ass fenders...

Here is a pic of the roller being mounted.

Once you get the roller own, adjust the angle and the pressure.

Here are two pictures of the amount or distance I would move the roller.

Before rolling or adding pressure be sure to heat up the area with the heat gun. It is best to wipe your fender clean or any oils or residue as the intense heat may leave marks. When heating the fender do it on the inside of the fender, not on the outside. Heat up the areas that you know you will be working with. I would heat it up till it was as hot as if the car was out in the sun on a 100 degree day or hotter. You don't want to over heat the fender and melt your paint but need the heat to help the metal to work with you as you roll...

Here is a shot to show you the angle and progress on the rear fenders...

An above shot of the stock fender...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

With time, patients, and determination...

Rolled flat with a slight pull.

3 in the stink? HAHA

Up front you will need to remove the plastic fender lining as the heat gun will melt it. If your lucky you will discover a birds nest like me...haha

Rolling and pullin the front..

The fronts were alot easier, less material and they seemed to be thinner.

Finished product...

I will post some more pics when I get a chance. I hope that helped. If anyone has any input please chime in. This is my first time doing something like this and it wasn't hard at all just took lots of time and patients. Go SLOW and have a rhythm to your working.

Good news....NO MORE RUBBING.

Ash

whoaaaaa sick. and yea. the big fish guys are awsome. and insane!! esp neil..haha
    WTB: 89-91 E30 in San Diego ASAP. PM me.

Comment

How you did that without cracking paint is beyond me. I didn't even get close to that rolled, and my fenders are all cracked to hell. LOL
      - Sean Hayes

Comment

Good job, mad props

Comment

could you post a shot of the whole car? looks awesome.

Comment

what if you do not give a shit about the paint? Park it in the sun? get-r-dun?
            '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VAPORBLADE View Post
              what if you do not give a shit about the paint? Park it in the sun? get-r-dun?
              Metal Bat + jam between fender and tire = rolled fender lol (wooden dowel is better if you don't want to scratch up the paint TOO bad)
              - Sean Hayes

Comment

Nice work looks great.

Comment

can we get some before pictures and after side by side?
                  [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                  Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                    Metal Bat + jam between fender and tire = rolled fender lol (wooden dowel is better if you don't want to scratch up the paint TOO bad)
                    I used a wooden Louisville Slugger, worked like a charm :nice:
                    sigpic
                    Evolution of My E30 M3Recent PicsSC*AR

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
                      can we get some before pictures and after side by side?
                      i may be a noob but i know the op is not gonna post pics. this thread was started 4 months shy of 2 years. and the op has not been back to this site since sept 24, 2008. just a wild guess it aint gonna happen

Comment

would paying a pro have better results? or should i trust no one but myself
                        Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

Comment

You lost me at 300hp n/a M20.... really?
                          1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

Originally posted by whterice View Post
                            i may be a noob but i know the op is not gonna post pics. this thread was started 4 months shy of 2 years. and the op has not been back to this site since sept 24, 2008. just a wild guess it aint gonna happen
                            Correct, and car is gone now, plus I don't his he took pictures of his virgin fenders before he realized this would all be put online; OP went back to his roots and now drives a Sti. Some guy in Hawaii has the car now someone who might have seen the car should get him to join.

Tbolt, you can pay someone but they won't gurantee the paint so you might as well screw it up with your own hands, but really it is simple and it can all be done in an afternoon. I did each corner in about 15 mins each cause I didn't care and just cranked as hard as I could. Didn't even use a heatgun cause it was so hot that day, my fenders felt like aluminum foil. Well the front might as well be made of it those front fenders are so soft but they are light so thats good.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30Eric View Post
                              You lost me at 300hp n/a M20.... really?
                              That car has the best pulled fenders out of any E30 Ive seen. They also have an E30 touring to haul around all the gofast goodies.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X