Buying a TV, advice plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a TV, advice plz

I'm going to pick up a TV. LCD, 37"-42" range, 1080p. Looking to spend $800-$1200 if possible.

What brands would you guys in the industry recommend as far as quality, durability, etc...

Any recommendations? i know the industry changes fast, I don't want to buy something out of date.

Also, where would you recommend purchasing from? Is Tiger Direct an OK source for quality stuff, or should I stick with Circuit City/Best Buy type stores?
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Theres so much to choose from now a days. Best things I did for myself before purchasing was going to several stores and just looking at the quality and what not between all the TV's available.
    I ended up buying an Olevia LCD. Vizio has awesome prices as well. People swear on Phillips though but its just too expensive for what it gives you I think.
    Olevia is the official TV of ESPN and Vizio the TV of some other sporting association.. maybe the NBA?

Comment

Pioneer Elite
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I'm really happy with my 40" 4065 Samsung LCD. Not sure what they're currently going for, but Frys Electronics usually has good deals online. Sony's LCDs are also very good but cost alot more for only marginally better picture quality.

'05 E46 M3 Imolarot/Cinnamon - CURRENT
        '98 E36 M3 Estorilblau/Dove - SOLD
        '90 E30 M3 Brilliantrot/Black - SOLD
        SRS BSNS Motorsports - 24hrs of LeMons Racer

Comment

For $800 to $1200, I dont think there are many 1080p TVs you can get. I was kinda in that same range when I went to best buy, and there wasnt shit. It wa sbetween a westinghouse (which actually looked like it had a real nice picture) and a Vizio (which looked like ass). I got a plasma floor model, and it was like $1100 down from $1900. So that may be your best way to go.... as long as you dont mind having something used.

Aside from the name, I dont think the Westinghouse is all that bad. I read a couple reviews on it, because I was really contemplating on buying it. And it was saying its one of few HDTVs which actually outputs 1080p directly, in its raw form. Rather than most TVs get it at 720p and convert it to 1080p. If I understood it right..... but FWIW, Im not the most electronics Savy guy by any means. I just play madden and watch football on it lol
          Originally posted by blunt
          i would jerk larry king off while tonging jflips ass if h0lmes would blow his head off

Comment

Originally posted by jflip2002 View Post
            Im not the most electronics Savy guy by any means. I just play madden and watch football on it lol
            Same...

I bought a 50'' LG plasma and am thrilled. I got a HK reviever and a velodyne sub - flush mounted 5.1 in the ceiling. Baller on a budget.
            "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by jflip2002 View Post
              For $800 to $1200, I dont think there are many 1080p TVs you can get. I was kinda in that same range when I went to best buy, and there wasnt shit. It wa sbetween a westinghouse (which actually looked like it had a real nice picture) and a Vizio (which looked like ass). I got a plasma floor model, and it was like $1100 down from $1900. So that may be your best way to go.... as long as you dont mind having something used.
              I'm going to be one of the fucking idiots out on black Friday. I'm hoping to scope out a decent model and be there early to grab one, I just want to make sure I don't get junk.

I am prepared to wait in line with cannibals, duke out parking territory with flesh eating soccer moms, and enter the demolition derby's that will be occurring on freeways across the country. All to save a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks for the advice guys... this is kind of what I expected - everyone has a different brand TV and they are happy with them.

Comment

Forgot to mention - buy an extended warranty. I had a 32'' sharp LCD die about a week after the 1 year man warranty. Because I paid $$$ to get a 4 year replacement plan, I got a 50'' for less than 500 bucks total - also with a warranty.
                "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by psloan View Post
                  Forgot to mention - buy an extended warranty. I had a 32'' sharp LCD die about a week after the 1 year man warranty. Because I paid $$$ to get a 4 year replacement plan, I got a 50'' for less than 500 bucks total - also with a warranty.
                  Good call, I probably would have forgot about it. How much is a typical 3-4 year extended warranty for a ~$1000 TV?

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                    Good call, I probably would have forgot about it. How much is a typical 3-4 year extended warranty for a ~$1000 TV?
                    I paid 150 for my 32'' - 250 for my 50''. I think they go by size.

Comment

i am really happy with my new 42" Phillips LCD. paid about 1500- but everything is more expensive here, other than e30s.

Comment

Well i have too many expenses to buy a nice HDTV but my father has the Sharp Aquos 38" and it has a great picture and plenty of inputs.

Comment

Hey well i don't have a nice tv, but my new 21inch widescreen monitor is made by LG and i love it. I have always had good luck with lg products
                          sigpic

Comment

Looks on craigslist too. Me and my roomate bought a 65" for $800, guy was moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
                              Looks on craigslist too. Me and my roomate bought a 65" for $800, guy was moving.
                              Not willing to take the chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X