Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 318i for sale in LV,NV

Writeup, followed by slideshow link:

I have owned this vehicle since January of 2007, when I purchased it with 190k miles. It currently has 210k miles on the original driveline. It has a clean title and an extensive collection of service records going all the way back to February 1991 when it was delivered by Chaisson Motorcars (now Desert BMW) in Las Vegas to a lessee. According to the service records, it has spent its entire life in southern Nevada and southern California, and has had six owners, including me. It has central locking, AC (converted to R134a by BMW, sometime before I bought it), manual sunroof, and factory-installed fog lights. It comes with two original master keys as well as the original valet key, an owner’s manual and a nice set of medium beige bavauto floor mats.

Things I have done:

Brakes: Rebuilt calipers, new master cylinder, new brake hoses on front. New rotors and pads. Had new hoses for rear, but upon inspection the ones already on there appear fine.
    Cooling system: replaced all hoses, replaced water pump, replaced thermostat.
    Vacuum system: replaced all hoses, cleaned intake manifold, replaced all gaskets.
    OBC: replaced six-button with 13 button. Install included stalk and correct coding plug, but did not include any of the components required for the “code” feature.
    Tires: replaced in December 2008 with BFG Traction T/A 195/65/14
    Paint: new paint in December 2007. I prepped it, father in law repaired a bent valance, friend of his painted the car in a downdraft paint booth. Car has not been color sanded, so some improvement is possible. Looks good though.
    Fluids: have done all at least once, along with filters where applicable. All driveline fluids are synthetic. Engine oil gets done every 4k miles or so (Castrol Syntec 20W50), trans has been done twice (Redline D4 ATF). Rear end is Mobil 1.
    Alternator: stopped charging the battery earlier this year. I found that the brushes were worn out. Replaced them and it works fine again.
    Steering rack: was done immediately before I purchased the car (have records). I believe they used a rebuilt unit. It does not leak at any rate.
    Control arms: I replaced them in 2007 because of worn-out ball joints. Install included new oem bushings. I did not have it aligned afterwards. It tracks straight and shows no abnormal tire wear but could probably use an alignment.
    Motor and trans mounts: all replaced, motor mounts are oem, not sure about trans mounts
    Timing chain tensioner: replaced in 2007. I have also inspected the pan for pieces of timing chain, rail or anything else twice, at 191k miles and again at about 200k miles. Both times there were none. I also have an oil analysis, done at 202k miles by Blackstone Laboratories, on file. Average wear numbers were recorded.
    Oil filter housing: All gaskets and o-rings replaced in the process of curing a bad leak. The engine does not currently leak any oil.
    Driver’s lock cylinder: When I purchased, it was nonfunctional. It has been rebuilt with all new parts using a kit. Code matched to original lockset – everything is on same key.

The vehicle is being offered at $1,900 or best offer. If, after you’ve inspected it, you’d like to negotiate, feel free to do so. I’m open to that.

Slideshow link: http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/z...view=slideshow
    Last edited by strad; 09-22-2009, 08:33 AM.
    The current fleet:
    1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
    1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

3 new oem wheel covers will be added into the sale. The fourth was new when I bought the car -- everything will match now.

I hesitate to use the term "complete service history" because it appears to me that a few records might be missing between 1994 and 1996. But it's all organized by date in a binder, and the binder is 3 inches thick. And yes, this car has had the profile gasket replaced, at about 30k miles by BMW, under warranty.
    The current fleet:
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

This is a very well documented car. That attribute is extremely rare in a car this age, at least in my experience. It's not a perfect car, but it is extremely clean (I even removed the seats and had the carpet steam-cleaned about a year ago) and runs very well. And I'm ready to negotiate.
      The current fleet:

Comment

I am impressed. And I rarely get impressed. I would love to have this if I wasn't getting out of the game.

Somebody buy this beauty.....but buy mine first.

GLWS
        Originally posted by jrhaile
        For the record I have never fucked a goat.

Comment

Thanks :) It is a nice little 318i. The new wheel covers are mounted (they're exactly like the ones in the pictures but brand new) and they really set the car off well.

The 535 is also finally here, so somebody come and take this 318 off my hands! NADA Clean retail is about $2300, KBB is about $1300. I'd be happy selling the car for somewhere in between those two numbers. And the buyer would be getting some good value in a solid E30.
          The current fleet:

Comment

I'm going to be putting this up on craigslist this weekend. With how nice it is, I'm sure it'll attract some attention there ;) I thought I'd start here though since you e30 guys will fully appreciate what I have already done to the car.
            The current fleet:

Comment

It's on local clist right now at a new price. $2500 obo. Update: passed smog this morning (9/3/2009). Certificate is good until 12/3/2009
              Last edited by strad; 09-04-2009, 01:58 PM.
              The current fleet:

Comment

New price: 2000 obo

Correction: that's 1900 obo. I ran a carfax on it a few days ago to confirm what I already knew. There are no title problems with this car. Come in and make a reasonable offer -- don't be like the dope who emailed me yesterday (response to my cl ad), before ever seeing the car, and offered me $500 below book value. That's not gonna happen folks -- this is a nice car, and I'm not going to give it away.
                Last edited by strad; 09-16-2009, 05:38 PM.
                The current fleet:

Comment

To the top. Car is still for sale. New pictures have been added to the slideshow to show the floor mats and the new wheel covers.
                  The current fleet:

Comment

Working...
                  X