Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 325i Drift Car

SOLD

I'm selling my identity because it needs a garage. For sale is a 1989 325i that I've been drifting for about four years. I've put under 1000 miles on, but they were hard miles. I trailered the car everywhere and it's not registered and probably not street legal. It’s not pretty when it’s sitting still, but people tell me it looks ok sideways. Tough to gauge the market for this, and I know you never get back what you put into a car, so lets start at $3000. OBO obviously. Located in Boston, MA.

The car is stripped. There's not much left on the inside, but here are some highlights:
    - Sparco Sprint Driver’s Seat
    - Sparco 4 Point Harness
    - Full Shift Linkage Rebuild with X5 Shift Lever (there's no slop) and Z4 Knob (you'll love it when people ask if it's a 6 speed)
    - Deleted Sunroof Mechanicals
    - Sparco Steering Wheel and Momo Hub
    - The dashboard is nearly perfect. There is one crack about an inch long near one of the windshield defroster vents.

The powertrain is stock from the intake to the tip of the exhaust. About half of the people coming up to talk to me at drift events say “hey man that’s sick but you have to get some pipes on that thing!” and the other half say “hey man I love how quiet that car is. All you hear is the tires.”

Once again, the engine isn’t pretty, but it starts every time and runs beautifully.
    - The timing belt was done about 900 miles ago along with typical tune up items like spark plugs, air filter, water pump, thermostat, and accessory belts.
    - Additionally, new fuel lines, power steering lines, fuel pressure regulator, distributor cap, spark plug wires.
    - Electric Fan
    - Battery cut-off switch
    - The oil has been changed approximately every 200 miles.

This car has allowed me to prove you don’t need power to drift and I’ve placed against guys with two to three times more power, but the 4.10 diff helps out.
    - 4.10 Limited Slip Differential

The body is beater quality. There is fairly significant rust under the battery tray, as is typical. There is more minor rust on the bottom edges of the trunk and doors. I always imagined I would crash the car before I had to sell it, so it didn’t bother me much, but I did repair the driver’s floor rust spot. The driver’s fender was replaced because of rust.

The paint is spray Krylon, but it’s not peeling anywhere. I put a lot of time into the prep and did it as right as a rattle can job can be. The stripes are DOT approved reflective street sign vinyl (as if any of this is a selling point).

I put most of my efforts into the suspension.
    - Ground Control Coil Overs (350# Front / 300# Rear)
    - Koni Yellow Single Adjustable Shocks
    - Strut Tower Brace (Junk yard pick, no name brand)
    - Ground Control Front Camber Plates
    - Urethane Motor and Transmission Mounts
    - Treehouse Racing Control Arm Bushings
    - (Also pictured are towing tie down mounting loops)

(I'll throw in the shredded tire strings for free)

And of course, the car comes with four and half sets of wheels. Three sets are basketweaves. One is bent, but holds air. Most of the tires have zero life left.

Here's the car as it sits right now. The trailer is for sale for $1900, but I will not sell it before the car. The ice cream truck might be for sale, I'll ask my neighbor if you're interested.

Last edited by DoriftuEvo; 05-27-2011, 05:33 AM.

ive seen this thing in person a few times... bump for a car doing its job!

Comment

Looks really nice. Hope it finds a garage.
      GLWS
      WTB E30. Right now $1500+ Vert or 4 door only.

Price range will increase every month.

Comment

wow rusty

Comment

looks like a fun car. glws

Comment

damn i would totally buy it if you were closer :(
            Originally posted by InuFaye
            silver is old man color car. you need dat BRO-SECA BLUE.
            Originally posted by blunttech
            so true.. never let them know where you live..I almost ended up in jail when I was raping young women on craigslist
            Originally posted by george graves
            An S5x is like the girl you want to marry - an m30 is the girl you don't bring home to mom.

Comment

Seaweed

How did you manage to get seaweed on the rear drive axles?
              Cool paint job though GLWS

Originally Posted by Blunt
              I've done this so much I have a toenail on my dick.

Comment

jesus thats far away. you wanna drive it to washington i got cash in hand
                Originally posted by blunttech
                r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

700 front and 500 rear? Shouldnt it be the other way around? Wouldnt you want stiffer spring in the rear and softer up front to promote oversteer?

Comment

LOL this thread brings me back

GLWS
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the support guys!

Originally posted by rosphill View Post
                      How did you manage to get seaweed on the rear drive axles?
                      Cool paint job though GLWS
                      Those are bits of shredded tire as noted below the picture.

Originally posted by e30trooper
                      wow rusty
                      That information has been disclosed, but thanks for the reiteration.

Originally posted by e46s54dr
                      700 front and 500 rear? Shouldnt it be the other way around? Wouldnt you want stiffer spring in the rear and softer up front to promote oversteer?
                      I looked back into the spring rates to make sure, and I was off, but I knew it was still a softer rear. Generally, when drifting, you want a car to be as neutral as possible. To promote oversteer is to promote spinning out. You can control the slide with just the throttle on a well balanced car. I've dialed in the adjustable shocks and camber so the car feels stable when sliding, and the tires wear evenly. A drift car setup wouldn't be far off from any other race car.

Free drift lesson with purchase!
                      Last edited by DoriftuEvo; 03-17-2011, 05:50 AM.

Comment

budget drifting at its best

glws

Comment

Working...
                        X