Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB don't people have older 318's anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB don't people have older 318's anymore?

New here! I've been lurking for awhile, but you don't post much before you actually have a bmw. I've been looking for awhile for an e30 for myself, but since i don't actually have any money my budget was very limited (1000 max) but when my brother came to check out the last one with me, he really liked the car. that specific one was...in rough shape, to say the least, but he said he really liked that car, so he told me he's decided he wants to get a car in the next couple months. So now I've got a budget of about $4000, and since I know these cars(well, as much as you can learn with zero hands-on experience) and he doesn't, i'm looking for him.

I'm looking for a 318i, before 88(metal bumpers) somewhere in the midwest...preferably within 100 miles of kansas city, but if it's sweet i might be able to convince him to travel further. The car needs to work, although I could probably get by if it's just got a couple problems that have already been diagnosed and could be easily repaired.

Let me know what you've got. Thanks!
    Last edited by Banana Jack; 06-23-2012, 08:46 PM.

They aren't the most popular cars due to the relatively low power M10 engine but they're out there and can usually be had for relatively cheap. Keep an eye on your local craigslist.

Comment

84 and 85 were the only years for the early model 318i in the US. The m10 engine really is underpowered, but you can drive it like you stole it and still pull ~30 mpg. Craigslist if definitely your best bet. I got mine for $750 with an idle issue and a so-so interior. I've seen ones that are being used as daily drivers go for 2000 or even less though. Just be patient and you should have no trouble finding a good one.
      What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
      90 325ix

Comment

There's no metal bumper 318is. Why is he so set on an early 318i? Does he specifically like the diving boards? There are lots of nice early e30's, and you can find a really nice car by expanding your search to include 325i's and 325e's. 4k is a pretty decent budget for an e30.
        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I have one in Lawrence,ks. Pretty solid shape, shoot me a pm if interested.

My 85 feels sportier then my old eta.may have to do with the tight suspension and steering.
          Last edited by rustybullet; 06-23-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I bought a '91 318i with a ton of miles but in great operating condition in March for $1500. You shouldn't have much problem, unless he is set on an early model.

This one has really surprised me b/c although HP is relatively scant, torque is not, relatively speaking and it is a blast to drive even though it may not be incredibly powerful or fast.

Comment

For some reason e30's in the Midwest sell for atleast $1k more then the west coast. We just don't have too many here. A beat up, barely running eta will fetch close to $1,500 and nice examples sell in the $4k-6 area. Though I have scored good deals but they were always when I wasn't looking.

Comment

:oops: guess i didn't do all of my homework. didn't realize there wasn't an early 318is. though while doing my homework (just now) i stumbled across a comment: "Yes this is one of those things, the 318i was supposed to be extinct in '85 however there were some US models all the way up to march of 87." i wondered, 'cause the last one i checked out was listed as an 86. although if they really did only make them for two years, no wonder i can't find many.

yeah he (and i'll be honest, i am too) is set on the m10. gas mileage is pretty important, and in comparison to the last car we both owned, no matter what bmw we get it'll seem like a monster under the hood.
                personally i like the plastic bumpers, but when i first showed him the difference, he told me he did like the diving boards better. i think now he doesn't really care though. But the fact that late-model gas mileage dropped by about 10 mpg DOES matter.

how do you guys decide how much mileage is too much? i've heard tales of bmws living to 400 plus, but anything over 200 just makes me nervous, 'just cause neither of us want to deal with rebuilding or replacing an engine at this point.

Comment

Pretty much if the car has been taken care of and you take care of it the mileage won't matter much.
                  I have owned 5 e30's and most had over 250k miles with solid engines. Most of the headaches come from electronics.

Comment

Good maintenance records are more important than miles on the odometer. Most e30 odometers have broken at some point, so its hard to know how many miles are really on it. Plus a well maintained engine will run better and longer than one that was ragged on with less miles. Also, don't say the m10 will feel like a monster under the hood until you drive one
                    What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
                    90 325ix

Comment

Working...
                    X