Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: 1987 BMW 325 e30 Coupe automatic 157K mi - sold [Bay Area, CA]

Hi:
    Update 2/5/13: You might have seen this ad a few weeks ago when I originally posted it. I had to withdraw the sale b/c my friend got into an accident and unfortunately totalled this e30's replacement (a BMW 540). Well, he now has his second replacement car (a Merc Diesel of all things) so this car is available for purchase again.

---
    A good friend recently offered me this car to turn into a "track car" because he recently got a deal on a newer BMW 540. It was his daily driver and served him well for years. I thought long and hard about converting this car and well, since I already have a track car AND I want to stay married, I have to let this one go. My loss is your gain. Also, upon taking a closer look at this car (esp the engine, interior, and body), it's almost too nice to turn into a track rat -- especially one for Lemons or Chump Car.

If you DO want to turn it into a track car, I'm willing to bet you will be able to zero out the value of this car easily by selling off all the interior bits and/or trading body panels with folks who have dented panels+cash. If I could net $1600 out of a thunderbird, you can easily do it with this car.

I've been told this is THE premiere e30 site online so I figured I'd post my ad here.
    The Good:
    • I checked the VIN and I believe this is a 325e with the eta engine.
    • This body is nice and straight and the paint is NOT oxidized at all. The VIN numbers for the hood, fenders, and doors match the VIN for the body (and the title, of course). If it was my track car, it'd almost be a shame to paint it flat black :)
    • I've gone over the car in the daylight and have not found any signs of rust -- even in the common areas like the battery well in the trunk. This is a good chassis.
    • I've been driving the car to/from work (50 mi each way from SF to Mtn View) just to learn more about it and the engine and transmission seem quite strong -- no problems with shifting and the powerband seems pretty good for an engine of this age.
    • Dash has no cracks
    • With the exception of the tear down the center of the driver's seat, this interior leather is in quite cherry condition. It could stand to be cleaned though b/c my friend was a surfer and I found the occasional bit of wax on surfaces when cleaning (that's some of the white stuff you see in the pics).
    • The carpets are quite nice (could do with some shampooing as well)
    • Side power mirrors -- both work
    • Power antenna -- works
    • This car was loaded with all the fancy electronics you could get in 1985; there's a diag 'computer' that checks all the standard sensors (coolant level, oil level, etc) and requires you to push a button on the console acknowledging you looked at the lights (hilarious).
    • There's also a Fancy digital clock / temp sensors - both work
    • Power windows work and light up at night
    • Decent aftermarket Sony CD stereo deck w/ AUX input capab
    • The Moon roof works and seals just fine -- it's manual so that's one less part to break (I've had to replace this mechanism TWICE on my stupid Audi)
    • Fog lights -- work
    • The HVAC fan switch works in all 5 positions (4 speeds + off); apparently a common e30 problem is that the resistor will break and all you'll get is OFF or FULL BLAST.
    • All the stock buttons which should be illuminated do illuminate at night
    • Full size spare tire -- included
    • Factory jack and tire wrench -- included
    • Factory tool kit included -- complete except for two items (I think it may be screwdrivers) and the wheel lock (none on these wheels so probably not included originally)
    • Factory manual and original service log -- included
    • Two aftermarket seat covers for the front seats -- included
    • The glovebox has an assortment of bulbs -- included
    • All the fuses in the fuse box seem factory except for one -- this should help put your mind at ease if you are worried about "electrical gremlins"

The Quirky:
    • At some point, my friend had driver's door lock replaced because it was worn out. However, instead of re-keying it to the original key -- he just carried around two keys. One opens the driver's door. The other one opens up everything else (ignition, trunk, and passenger door). You could easily have a locksmith replace the tumblers in the driver's door lock.
    • Windshield sprayer - passenger side works; I suspect the driver's side nozzle just needs to be cleaned
    • The passenger dome light needs the bulb replaced. A replacement may be in the glovebox (haven't looked)
    • In the infocenter, a few of the sensors erroneously light up occasionally. The two I've experiences are a) the oil level sensor lights on despite the oil level being just fine (checked when cold) and b) the "brake light out" light is illuminated but goes off and stays off if you depress the brake pedal. Apparently, from what I've read online, this is typical.

The Bad:
    • There seems to be a vibration from the centerline of the vehicle at lower RPMs when you are driving. Reading online, it sounds like the likely culprit is the guibo (a rubber connecting piece between the transmission output shaft and the driveshaft) with the driveshaft center bearing being a secondary culprit. These items are easily inspected and once identified replaced.
    • The tires are getting on in years. You will want to replace them eventually -- or immediately if you plan on tracking this car.
    • Ditto with the radiator (it's old). The car's not losing coolant right now but you will probably want to replace it eventually.
    • There's a slight crack (<12") on the windshield right in front of the rear view mirror. It does not obstruct the view b/c of the rear view mirror position
    • In taking a addt'l pics for another, it looks like there's some small oil accumulation near the oil pan. It's likely from the oil pan gasket (a common point for e30s). As stated before, this car hasn't lost oil since I've had the car.
    • There's a small ding on the driver's side door and a some scratch on the trunklid (might just be surf wax that has collected a little dirt).
    • The windshield washer spray system works but water only gets sprayed out of the passenger side nozzle. You should be able toe easily pop off the driver's nozzle and clear it (back blowing air works once its disconnected).
    • One tab of the ashtray lid that holds it to the ashtray seems to have broken off

Other Details:
    • Car was acquired in 1987 by the original owner in CA so as far as I know, it's been here its whole service life (you may want to confirm this with a carfax report though -- I'll be happy to supply the VIN)
    • Oil changed this past August and it should be just about due for another one
    • Replaced rear brake pads & rotors / front pads @ 50% on 12/13/11 (receipt included)
    • Missing Alternator bolt replaced / hood release adjusted on 6/3/11 (receipt included)
    • Door lock control module replaced @ 127K on 2/1/11 (receipt included)
    • Smogged last year according to my friend (you can likely confirm this with carfax)
    • A/C Service on 1/31/11 (receipt included)
    • New floormats on 1/29/11 (receipt included)
    • Battery bought from COSTCO on 12/13/10 (receipt included)
    • Alternator replaced on 12/27/10 (receipt included)
    • The camshaft drive belt was replaced @ 124,958mi on 07/03/06 (sticker at front of car)
    • At some point in it's service life, the rear trunk lid was replaced with a genuine BMW part (has the proper DOT-R sticker on it). You can't tell unless you were looking for it.

This isn't a perfect car but i believe my asking price generously reflects its current condition. My asking price is SOLD. Cash only. If you are interested in this car, please give me a ring. If you don't like my price, feel free to make a counter offer -- I can always refuse. You can check this car out at my friends place in Piedmont, CA. Thanks for looking at my ad.

Regards,
    -gunn

Click on each pic for a larger image.

Last edited by S4gunn; 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM.

I was asked to take a few more pics. You can find them on my server below.

Comment

You should post a price, this site requires it if you are selling a product.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
        You should post a price, this site requires it if you are selling a product.
        It's in my ad already. Ill bold it for you and will also put it in the subject

Comment

Yeah you need to I saw the T-bird reference of 1.6K but suggest you make a separate line saying 1.6K obo not buried. I missed it hence why I mentioned it, Others will too.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by S4gunn View Post
              bump
              what color is you car? beautiful color
              -1986 S50Turbo Sedan (475WHP/417WTQ) Castromotorsport Built (Sold)
              -1987 Coupe (17x10.5"/17x14")
              Castromotorsport / Buddha_Concept_designs Built *UnderConstruction*

Follow me on Instagram: obes_sebo
              For more updates:)
              Purchase FeedBack http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=278838

Comment

Originally posted by obes View Post
                what color is you car? beautiful color
                According to the service manual (it's recorded in the service records -- I guess so they can find it easily in the service lot), it's listed as Delphin Grey".

-g

Comment

All:
                  Happy New Years, everyone. I will be back in town this evening so I can start showing this car again to prospective buyers on Jan 2nd. Please LMK if you are interested in this vehicle. I've tried to be as honest about the condition as possible.

Regards,
                  -g

Comment

Sale withdrawn for now; my friend was cut off on the hwy and ended up putting his replacement 540i into a wall over the weekend so he needs this car back for a while. At least he's safe though -- the e39 is a pretty safe design apparently.

-g

Comment

-.- i just saw this ad. was going to buy on spot. btw if you decide to resell will you ship it con us?
                      sigpic

Comment

Update 2/5/13: You might have seen this ad a few weeks ago when I originally posted it. I had to withdraw the sale b/c my friend got into an accident and unfortunately totalled this e30's replacement (a BMW 540). Well, he now has his second replacement car (a Merc Diesel of all things) so this car is available for purchase again.

If you want to check it out locally, the car is in Piedmont, CA.
                        PM and I'll share contact details.
                        -g

Comment

Bump.

Comment

Working...
                          X