WTT: 1998 E38 740i OH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTT: 1998 E38 740i OH

I have a 1998 740i with the 4.4L M62, pre VANOS. Recently bought a house and it just does not fit in the garage. Would also appreciate something that gets more than 23mpg during my commute. City I have been getting 16mpg, and on long highway cruises 25mpg. Lifetime average over the past 30k miles is about 20mpg. OBC is accurate +/- 1 mpg.

Runs well and pulls like a freight train on the highway.

• 178k miles, will go up by about 500/week.
    • Schwarz on tan.
    • I add about a liter of oil between oil changes. This may be seeping from one valve cover or it maybe consumption. Don't know.
    • Blindspot aspherical mirrors.
    • Two sets of wheels/tires, steelies with snows at 30% tread and OEM 16" BBS that need tires.
    • Velour as well as rubber floor mats. Rubber mats are schliff green but get the job done.
    • CCFL angel eyes.

Repairs:
    02/13 New front/rear slotted ECS GEOMET rotors with ceramic pads
    01/13 New spark plugs, cleaned MAF and ICV
    02/12 New battery
    11/11 New starter

Cons:
    • Radiator has a small leak. Never overheated. I just add coolant every couple weeks.
    • Windshield cracked, wipers have wiring problem I have been unable to sort out and are not currently working. Windshield will be Rain-X'd for new buyer!
    • A/C has a leaking line. I can point it out to you.
    • Will need some front end work in the near future
    • Headliner sags.
    • MID has pixels out.
    • One valve cover might seep. Maybe.
    • Body is in fair condition. Like I said, garage is too small.

I am sure I am forgetting some maintenance and some issues. Due for an oil change, which I will be doing next weekend. I will be working on the car as I continue to commute in it. Good for a V8 swap donor, part it and make a Lemons car out of it, or a good commuter with a weekend of work.

Interested in, like I said, something that is smaller and/or gets better gas mileage. E24, E28, E30, E36. Possibly a non-BMW, or maybe even an SUV and I'll forget about parking in the garage.

Last edited by peteWine; 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM.

Also have majority of MKI 4:3 navigation system that will be included with purchase, as well as spare DSP amp and CD changer. :up:

Comment

Working...
    X