FS/FT: SoCal -- 1984 325e with rebuilt 2.7i stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS/FT: SoCal -- 1984 325e with rebuilt 2.7i stroker

Up for sale/trade is my 1984 black/black 1984 E30, 325e model. I really like the car but have decided that I want a truck or SUV for camping trips, hauling crap, and I only want one car.

Price/trade: 3600 obo USD. For trade, I’m ideally looking for 1996-2002 4runner… but open to other vehicle options. I can add cash on top. I could also be talked into a partial trade for other cool stuff: mills, lathes, good mountain biking shizzle, etc.

Post here and/or PM me and we can talk from there. I will check here daily. I am pretty busy, like everyone else, these days and am not in a rush to sell.

Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7157709...7633350194387/

Story on the car: I bought this car from Chris Castro (Castro Motorsports) in Jan 2013. Chris did a lot of work on the car, which I will try to detail below, for the previous owner and then the owner couldn’t pay for the work and signed the car over to Chris. When I bought the car, Chris did some additional work to really get the car ‘tight’ from a mechanical perspective which is what I cared about. I don’t have any history on the car before Chris Castro got it… I will do my best to describe what Chris did to the car when I bought it and afterwards. The car had been sitting for a while and so Chris knew that he couldn’t get everything perfect without the car being driven a bit to work out the last few kinks/bugs; that has all been done at this point (after I drove the car a bit, Chris did some more work, then I drove the car four about 2 weeks, and Chris touched up a few additional things). I have paperwork for most all of the work Chris did on the car in the form of short notes from Chris.

Car Info:
    • 1984 325e, Clean CA Title (pink slip in hand), smog in Jan 2013, register through April 2014. Odometer is not working but shows 194k miles.

• Exterior: 5-6/10. Car was already resprayed and not that well, imo. The car looks good from a distance (like 8/10) but the paint has a lot of scratches and chipping. There are some small body and door dings, hood dings, a few tiny surface rust spots (extremely minor). There is a good scrape on the rear passenger wheel well. I tried to capture some examples in the pictures. These things could all be taken care of but the main thing, since the car was already resprayed once, you’d have to take the body down to bare metal to really get this car looking righteous. I noticed some minor rust around battery ‘compartment’ but nothing else significant rust wise. Sunroof works and is totally leak free.. parked all day outside, and driven, in serious rain with not even a drop, or even an odd smell, in the cabin.

• Interior: 6-7/10. Dash is cracked to hell but most everything else is in fair to good condition. Comfort vinyl seats: fronts are in great shape, rears are in moderate shape. Headliner mostly intact, a small tear or two but is not sagging. Some of the interior trim needs some minor tuck and clean-up but is all there and relatively clean. With an uncracked dash this car would 8/10 interior… to me.

• 2.7i stroker engine : Best part of the car, 2.7 block/crank/pistons, late model 885 head/intake/ECU/and exhaust headers; Cylinder head /engine were rebuilt by Castro's. All new engine gaskets, new timing belt, new water-pump, new thermostat, fresh coolant. Initially there was a problem with the oil cap seal and the engine was pushing oil out the oil cap… this was addressed quickly. The engine is dropping a small amount of oil; may be from original oil cap issue or could be from a seal, like a few drops per day. Other than that, the engine has been great and daily driven with zero problems since January. No matter the driving conditions, even stop and go on the freeway in 95 deg heat, engine temps never exceeded midline (normal operating temp).

• 5 speed, replaced clutch master/slave cylinders, New flex disc… clutch feel is very solid, tight short throw, tight and immediate engagement. OEM M shifter.

• 2.9 LSD

• Bilstein Sport Shocks all around

• Eibach sport springs, front and rear sway bars

• Chris went over all of the suspension, control arms, bushings… mechanically sound. The suspension and steering are sharp & tight. Cars tracks straight as an arrow... you can practical drive a city block without touching the steering wheel. Again, Chris pretty much replaced whatever needed to be replaced to get the car tight. Car rails turns.

• walbro pump in tank (pump is quiet)

• Single 2.25" exhaust… there was a spintech muffler on but it was too loud for me (lots of drone) so I had Chris put more of a OEM exhaust level muffler. Still sounds pretty good to me.

• Late model plastic bumpers front and rear (no valence out back)

• Stock rims, tires need to be replaced in next 5-10k miles for sure

• Sony stereo with AUX and USB hook-ups… stereo works well and sound is pretty good. New antenna needed.

• Heat works great, AC does not work... compressor is installed but not charged (some of the condenser lines and whatnot might be suspect as well).

• Electrical: Needs a bit of work. All exterior lights work, both windows roll up and down but passenger window sometimes does not work. Cluster needs to be refurbished: fuel tank gauge only reads from full to half full, Odometer does not work, speedometer doesn’t always work in hot weather (partially failed solder connection). Windshield wipers and washer fluid works but the wiper motor doesn’t like the low setting, works great on med/high. Check engine light illuminates sometimes from an erroneous brake light failure warning… brake lights verified working when this erroneous warning is active (most likely a gauge cluster issue also).

Summary: I bought this car as a reliable daily driver, project car…. And it is fun to drive and has been very reliable. I had plans for the car but realized I’d rather spend my free time doing other things (I work on machines all day for a living). The car has a solid mechanical foundation for an entry level track/fun car. It can be driven right now, every day, without worry and slowly worked on. IMO, this may NOT be a good base to build a ‘show level’ type car (extra work for paint, etc.) but that is just me… everyone is different.
    Last edited by cashsterling; 05-10-2013, 07:18 PM. Reason: updating information, clarifying a few things

bump

Comment

Working...
    X