Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: Rust Free 1991 BMW 318is

Hi all,

This week I placed my order for one of my dream cars, an MEV Exocet. I wasn't planning on ordering it this soon, but the wait times have extended out to about 6 months, so I need to get the order in now so I can build it over winter.

Since it's a kit car, I need to clear some space and free up some funds for the build. That means that my current fun car has to go.

So, up for sale is my 1991 BMW 318is. I bought this a few months ago from a BMW enthusiast in Colorado Springs. When I bought it, the paint was very rough (just ask Justin Metz) but it was rock solid mechanically, despite the higher mileage. I had Justin detail it and restore the paint, which came out great. It's a rare E30 model and even rarer that it has zero (and I mean zero) rust on it at all. The only cosmetic faults are a missing foglight cover, a slight paint burn on the trunk lid (was there when I bought the car), and some scratches on one of the wheel wells. Nothing major, but I'm the full disclosure kind of guy.

I'd love to see this stay with an enthusiast who will take care of it. Below are some details:

Year: 1991
    Make: BMW
    Model: 318is
    Mileage: 268k (Yes, it's high. This car is SOLID mechanically and has NEVER let me down. I'm a proponent of condition over mileage, which is why I bought the car)
    Transmission: 5-Speed
    Color: Brilliantrot

Engine:
    > Water pump changed 4000 miles ago and coolant system flushed.
    > New correct Bosch copper spark plugs and fuel filter installed at the same time.
    > Bosch Design III 4 hole pintle injectors were swapped for the stock injectors.
    > Oil used for last chance was Valvoline Max-Life 15w-40 with new filter.
    > Eliminated the "mess under the intake" of extra coolant hoses. The OE coolant system has two 'sub-systems' in it. One is additional hose and plumbing to a heater plate between the Throttle Body and intake manifold. The other is/was a recall installation of a pressure relief valve between the 2 in/out hoses for the heater core before they enter the firewall. When most people take care of the "mess under the intake" -- they are mainly referring to the removal of those two 'sub-systems' -- including the two 'multi-junction' parts.
    > Exhaust is original from the headers to the resonator. The muffler was changed to a DTM tip muffler by the previous owner.
    > Center support bearing and guibo have been replaced.

Interior:
    > Service Interval, MPH counter, Rev meter, coolant temp and fuel level all work.
    > Original, clean leatherette Sport interior with manual seats and airbag. Minimal wear on the outer seat bolster (piping has worn through not the main part of the seat) for the drivers seat, passenger side has no wear. All manual seat controls work.
    > Aftermarket stereo with aux input(single pin 3.5mm stereo connector, not USB).
    > Manual sunroof crank works in full open and vent position The inner covering is peeling on the interior front edge of the leatherette cover(needs to be re-glued). It does not leak in rainstorms or car washes.
    > Electric windows ,electric door, and trunk locks.
    > Full size spare, jack, lug wrench, plus partial tool kit. Trunk has all of the interior lining/covers and battery cover.

Chassis:
    > Chassis is straight, strong, with no rust. Especially behind the gas filler tube in the right rear wheel well where this is known to be a problem on these cars.
    > Original 14 inch 4 bolt BBS basket weave wheels are straight, true, and have new Khumo tires. They do need repainted, which I will do prior to sale.
    > Battery tray is not rusted on the inside of the trunk area.
    > All glass is in better than good condition with no leaks from the seals. All body panels are straight and gaps are true.
    > The front lower control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar brackets, and poly filled control arm bushings were replaced 2000 miles ago.
    > Struts, Shocks and mounts have been replaced with Bilstein Heavy Duty units. F4-P36-0136-H0 fronts and F4-B36-2028-H0 rears.
    > 318iS now has a 3.91 limited slip(viscous) diff and larger diameter 325iX rear swaybar.
    > H&R M3 Sport springs installed ~4k miles ago along with Turner Motorsport fixed camber plates. Alignment settings were -2.8* front camber, -2.5* rear camber, 0 toe.
    > New centric rotors plus Stoptech Street pads and ATE Fluid installed less than 4k miles ago.

Extra parts:
    > Two rear "pop-out" vent style windows.
    > Volvo Electric fan kit with correct relay.
    > Extra "elephant ear" side mirrors.
    > 6-8 BBS centercaps
    > 4.10 rear diff
    > Other odds and ends, including a new rear diff bushing
    > Momo Steering wheel hub

So, as you can tell...it's been well maintainted. I have records for most of what he did, and all the spare parts will go with the car. This is a great DD, great first car, great swap candidate, or great autocross toy (DSP anyone?). The 15x8 Konig Wideopens with 205/50/15 Federal RS-R tires are still on the car, but I will be removing them prior to sale to keep for my kit. If you want them, then perhaps we can work out a deal. Stock wheels with new tires are included.

The two major downsides to the car:
    1) Dash is cracked (just like every other E30)
    2) It has started to develop a minor vibration in 1st and 2nd gear under load. Internet says this is the guibo/CSB starting to go, but the previous owner claimed they were replaced. Not sure what it is, haven't had a chance to get under. It's not a big vibration at all, but as I said...full disclosure.

Price: $3000, FIRM. It's not easy to find a 318is this clean. Yes, it has high miles, but it's solid mechanically. E30's are becoming harder to find, and the price is fair. I have the clean autocheck for the car still saved on my computer. PM here or call/text 3-oh-three 8-five-four seven-4-4-one. Car is located in CO.

Pics:

Last edited by BTD; 09-05-2014, 06:07 PM.
    Exomotive Exocet
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

Bump! Willing to work with out of state buyers.
    Exomotive Exocet
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

Bump!
      Exomotive Exocet
      1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

Your pics don't show up here (bump). Edit: oops, now they do.
        Last edited by michaelp; 07-06-2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelp View Post
          Your pics don't show up here (bump). Edit: oops, now they do.
          They should, they're just photobucket.

Car is still for sale, surprised it's not generating more interest. 15x8 Konig Wideopen wheels and tires can be negotiated into the sale for the right price.
          Exomotive Exocet
          1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

Bump!
            Exomotive Exocet
            1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

Bump!
              Exomotive Exocet
              1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

EDIT: Last buyer fell through
                Last edited by BTD; 09-02-2014, 07:46 PM.
                Exomotive Exocet
                1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

Last buyer fell through and hasn't responded in over a week. Car is back up for sale. Bump!
                  Exomotive Exocet
                  1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

What's up with the wheels in the last picture? Looks like a botched spray paint job

Comment

Originally posted by Andyp View Post
                      What's up with the wheels in the last picture? Looks like a botched spray paint job
                      It was, by the previous owner. I've since resprayed them black again but they could definitely use a professional refinish or a set of aftermarket wheels.
                      Exomotive Exocet
                      1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

Bump! Some more interest locally
                        Exomotive Exocet
                        1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

Bump! Priced reduced to $3000
                          Exomotive Exocet
                          1997 Toyota Tacoma

Comment

Looks like a great car for the price! GLWS