1988 325iS for sale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 325iS for sale.

or sale is my 1988 325iS. I'm located in Alexandria, Virginia, and will ship if the purchaser wishes to handle the costs and work with me on logistics. Odometer currently reads 157,0XX miles

I love this car, but I'm moving to a more urban area, and consolidating my finances to make a career change. I'm asking $3600, or best offer.
    Passed Virginia inspection earlier this year.

I have known this car since 11/2014, when my friend and I acquired it and went 50/50 on costs; I bought him out in May 2015.

Work in the last 1.5 years/stuff replaced
    Undocumented work (because performed by my friend and me):
    We replaced the guibo, and the shift lever bushings, which were old and cracked. While down there, we also replaced the shift lever with a z3 "short shifter". This is the only modification to the vehicle from stock.

Also replaced were the gaskets connecting the exhaust manifolds to the rest of the exhaust, since the car had multiple exhaust leaks when we purchased it.
    Documented work:
    -Falken Azenis tires- precise specs can be provided if desired. (currently have 5,000 miles
    on them)
    -Timing belt replaced, water pump replaced 3,500 miles ago.
    -OEM exhaust installed, with new rubber hangers (the metal hangers are not new)
    -Replaced fuel hose from regulator.
    -Replaced all signal lights.
    -Replaced front brake rotors. (needs rear rotor replacement)
    -Replaced odometer gears and circuit board integrated batteries.
    -New battery (< 1 year)
    -Car cover included.

Odometer:
    When we acquired this car, the odometer was broken at 150,678. We drove it a combined estimated 1,000-1,500 miles. Unfortunately, it did not occur to me to account for these miles when I fixed the odometer in June 2015.

The car has an "exceeds mechanical limits" title dating to 1996. Given my understanding of what that means, I don't how a then 8 year old car with an odometer that goes up to 999,999 would "exceed its mechanical limit". Nevertheless, it's on the title. No accidents or any other title blemishes.

I have partial service records for the vehicle. The previous owner acquired the vehicle in 2008, with 150,428 miles, dropped $2.5k into it around the time of purchase, and did very little work thereafter. It also appears that the vehicle was driven very little during the six year period 2008-2014, but I cannot be sure.

I also replaced the batteries that are soldered onto the instrument cluster circuit board. These apparently fail after 20 or so years. The speedometer and fuel gauge have always been reliable. After battery replacement, the tachometer went from not working to working mostly quite reliably; if the car has not been driven recently the tach has a way of sticking upon start up, and coming to life after 10-20 minutes of driving, or after tapping the dashboard above the cluster. Not sure if this is a secondary issue to the battery replacement or related.

Other issues to note:
    -sunroof does not work
    -dash has multiple cracks
    -there are small areas of rust at the jack points, along the left side lip of the trunk lid, and more extensive rust under the battery box at the right aft of the car.
    -The rear CV joint boots have tears on their top sides, and thus should be replaced.
    -Stock radio functions but the antenna does not extend, so no signal. This problem arose
    in the last year.
    -Heater and fans work well, but I have never used the A/C. I assume it needs only to be charged.
    -There is some sun damage to the upright part of the seats.
    -The chrome trim on the right passenger side is gone.
    -Power locks and side mirrors no longer function.
    -Paint pealing in a potato-sized region on the roof.

This car starts without hesitation every time, the engine sounds great, revs strong up to the redline, and drives like an e30 should. Clutch, transmission are good, and engine is solid. Possible problem with the differential, based on the whining noise. I will have this checked out at the next oil change. An essentially solid car in fair cosmetic condition, with a good number non-working power features. If the problem is not listed above or apparent from the photos, it probably doesn't exist. I have 2 original keys plus owner's manual and many assorted service records, but not comprehensive. Thanks for reading.

I'm having trouble uploading photos directly, so please see this link:
    Explore lambgyro2’s 55 photos on Flickr!
    Last edited by ArtCar; 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM. Reason: Adding more information.

Bump for price drop to $3200, obo.

Comment

Working...
    X