Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS - 1989 325i convertible - So Cal - $5300

Hey guys,

I thinking of selling my 'vert and moving onto a new project. I'm in the San Fernando valley in Los Angeles, asking $5300. I'll upload some interior pics soon

It’s at a point where you can just drive the car as is, or try to take it to the next level. It’s been my weekend car for the last year, and I’ve put about 3k miles on it.

According to the CarFax I ran; its first owner had it for 15 years; then its second owner ran it for about ten more. After that; it went through four owners in quick succession (none of whom seem to have done any maintenance on it). When I picked it up; it was in a pretty sad mechanical state. Here’s a quick rundown of the work I did.

Engine: valves adjusted and damaged rocker arms replaced; timing belt service done professionally; vacuum leaks found and corrected; new Idle control valve; new crankshaft position sensor; new O2 sensor; new coolant temp sensor; new oil pressure sensor; TPS good; new valve cover gasket; new spark plugs; leaking oil cooler removed; new battery; BMW coolant used, oil changed multiple times. New catalytic converter (just passed smog again. I believe that if purchased before January, no additional test is needed); Engine sounds good for its age and runs without smoke. Starts right up every time and idles well. Does not overheat. Radiator hoses appear to be in good shape without cracking.

Suspension and steering: New Bilstein Touring shocks all around; new control arms with stock bushings; new sway bar bushings and links; new shock tower mounts all around; new wheel hubs in front; steering rack replaced with e36 rack (new power steering filter/reservoir). The ride height is stock. New motor mounts. I’ve done up to 90mph without any drama. Rides smooth and tracks well with no shimmy or vibrations.

Fuel: new filter; injectors removed and professionally cleaned and repaired; new fuel pressure regulator.

Electronics: odometer repaired at 200k. (True mileage is unknown!); interior lights replaced; exterior lights work except for reverse lights (just noticed they were out last week); Aftermarket radio; New tweeter units in the door; 12 button computer works; “check light” system works; cruise control works (though it quits maybe every 5-10 minutes and must be reset); power antenna works, power mirrors work.

Heater and A/C: AC blows super cold. Converted to R-134a at some point, new O-rings on the compressor and it’s been good for months. New heater core (interior heat works great); Fan works

Brakes: New pads and rotors all around; The “brake lining” light on the dash remains lit at all times, even though the sensor was replaced. Also, the parking brake light goes off and on when you jiggle the e-brake handle. Brake fluid replaced.

Tires: Tires are excellent with less than 5k on them. Rims are aftermarket 15” American racing brand alloys.

Top: Operates well; replaced tonneau cover shocks so the cover stays up; plastic window is cloudy but not yellow; fabric in good shape; I don’t think it leaks, but I’ve only driven in the rain once.

Interior: Seats were recovered by previous owner with a dark brown suede material; Sports seats are adjustable, but driver’s side bolster adjustment is pretty finicky; new shift boot, new shift knob and new floor mats (from new 1 series); all power windows work; no rips or tears in the seats!; replaced some of the window seals. Steering wheel has been recovered at some point, but still looks presentable. Dash is cracked beyond point of repair. It’s currently covered with a dashcover.

Exterior: At some point, the car had a minor collision on the front driver corner. I replaced the front bumper (most of the damage was on the bumper shock). There is a “repaired” dent in the front (about 1” across). In addition, the car must have scrapped something hard at one point, as the splashguard was broken and repaired and the oil pan repaired with epoxy. Given that the repair has held for quite a while (based on the level of road grime on it) I’ve decided to leave it alone. Rest of the body looks good, panel gaps good, great paint. New chrome trim around windshield;

Drivetrain – The shifter is sloppy and loose feeling (typical for an e30), but works well when you get used to it. In order to repair, the shifter linkage needs to be rebuilt. Car will come with the required hardware and the DSSR (a upgraded metal bar to replace the factory one. It’s a big job, but would be very rewarding in terms of shifting feeling).

Misc: wipers work, sprayers work; new glovebox hardware; new trunk shock; BMW toolkit is complete except for one tool; comes with factory hazard kit and owner’s manual.
    Attached Files

some interior shots

All shots can be seen on flickr...

Contact via PM or directly at 818-298-7864

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by chemprof; 12-20-2017, 11:47 AM. Reason: added links to pictures

Comment

exterior

exterior shot
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X