E30 cabriolet value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 cabriolet value

I’m a 15-year BMW CCA member, with E36 and E46 as past drives and currently DD a ‘72 2002tii that I restored. Never had an E30 despite admiring them for, literally, decades, and lurking on this site. A friend of mine died three years ago and now his wife wants to sell his ‘91 325i cabriolet that’s been sitting in the garage since his death. So, I agreed to help her sell it. Some photos below. Exterior is very good, some door trim missing, respray from 10 years ago, also new manual cloth top (small tear) and clutch at that time, garage kept. Odometer died at 130K, friend put maybe 10K on it since then. I have not yet tried to (gently) turn the engine over, will try next weekend, but engine has no drips or leaks Front and back seats need to be recovered, otherwise interior is dry and no obvious rust anywhere. I’ve searched the various forums for $$ value, they range from $2K to $10K, so I’d like to get ideas on reasonable asking price (and no offers). Feel free to PM or email jdkinase@gmail.com. Thanks!

It's tough to give you an accurate value because you're missing some things:

-Are there maintenance records?
    -Has it been sitting for the last three years or has someone driven it (you mention sitting since his death but then 10k put on by a friend, it's conflicting)
    -Need pictures of the entire car, front, back, each side, undercarriage, interior, dash, etc. This will help assess condition
    -Location of the vehicle.

My two cents thus far:
    Anyone who is going to purchase that vehicle will need to trailer it home if it hasn't run in three years. I wouldn't even try to start it without first draining/flushing/replacing all major fluids and doing a full tune up with timing belt, plugs, cooling system replacements. So do not try to start it without these as if the timing belt goes you'll grenade the engine instantly, and at that point you'll have more of a parts car with a value around $500 if that.

If it is in fact a clean shell with an engine that just needs a tune up I could see it going for $2k or so. Do the tune up stuff yourself and maybe you'll bump the price to $3k, $3500 if you've got some records to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
      It's tough to give you an accurate value because you're missing some things:

-Are there maintenance records?
      -Has it been sitting for the last three years or has someone driven it (you mention sitting since his death but then 10k put on by a friend, it's conflicting)
      -Need pictures of the entire car, front, back, each side, undercarriage, interior, dash, etc. This will help assess condition
      -Location of the vehicle.

My two cents thus far:
      Anyone who is going to purchase that vehicle will need to trailer it home if it hasn't run in three years. I wouldn't even try to start it without first draining/flushing/replacing all major fluids and doing a full tune up with timing belt, plugs, cooling system replacements. So do not try to start it without these as if the timing belt goes you'll grenade the engine instantly, and at that point you'll have more of a parts car with a value around $500 if that.

If it is in fact a clean shell with an engine that just needs a tune up I could see it going for $2k or so. Do the tune up stuff yourself and maybe you'll bump the price to $3k, $3500 if you've got some records to go with it.
      Agreed

Comment

Working...
      X