4.10 LSD Viscous diff - $250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.10 LSD Viscous diff - $250

This is a clean 4.10 V removed from a 325ix. It's not quite as solid a hook up as the 4.10 LSD and desirable to many people because of that. It's a little easier on your rear tires and the U-Joints than the LSD, but still powers both drive wheels.

As for the shipping cost - figure about $60 to the West Coast and $90 to the East Coast. If you live in Bum Fuck Montana it will be in between those two examples. If you want to contact me please use e-mail and not a PM. My gmail account mixes all the stupid PMs into the same folder. germancarsonly@gmail.com

As explained to me by Andreas Körtel when I quizzed him on why he wanted the 3.91 Viscous diff I sold him. -

As expected, the VLS is by far the superior technology.

The difference between HGLS (Helical Gear LS) and VLS is rather simple. HGLS is operated by a clutch pack that will eventually burn up (hence change characteristics / behavior) and is also rather imprecise. The VLS has totally separate drive shafts that are in a closed “Can” filled with some very yummy tar like substance. In this tar like substance (viscous oil) is a whole bunch of spinning discs that are slotted and therefore act like propellers spinning the tar like substance and all the little tweaker propellers at the same speed. That is in essence the visco clutch. If you put more load on one side it will break free eventually – that is defined by the “stiffness” of the liquid.

Consequently, the drive shafts on a VLS are indeed NOT mechanically direct connected, but if you turn the right wheel, the left wheel should turn the same direction. And then – the VLS just acts semi solid as opposed the HGLS which is more solid.

VLS is the way to go I’d say. At least more modern and won’t burn up.

bump

Comment

Trade you a 3.73 lsd for that?
      84 318I Delphin RIP
      87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
      89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

Those 3.73 LSD diffs are pretty easy to find at the Pick-n-Pulls and I know there are at least a couple of them still in cars.

Right now I have a 3.73 LSD, a 3.46 LSD, a 3.91 open and a 4.10 LSD so I'm pretty stocked up on medium case diffs with good ratios. If you want to kick in $100 with your 3.73 we can make a deal.

Last edited by germancarsonly; 08-28-2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Ill think about it. what about your 4.10 lsd?
          84 318I Delphin RIP
          87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
          89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

really diggin the run down between the "s" and "v" stamps...free bump
            Supatek -noun - your basic know it all

Comment

The run down is from Andreas. He has 17" rims on his Cabrio daily driver and the 4.10 ratio is a little on the low side. The 3.91 worked out to be perfect for that car. The Viscous diff was perfect too as it's just a street driven car and he never takes it to the track. He has a seriously modified E30 M3 for the track.

Comment

Working...
              X